Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012

Prams - what did u go for and why?

Going to start pram shopping this week and just wondering what you all have gone for and what were your reasons for your choices?

I'm looking for something that's light to carry (we live in a flat), one handed, and rear and forward facing (among other little things!) x

Replies

• Hiya, with DS we went for the iCandy Cherry and I adore it! It's really simple to use, lightweight, folds down nicely and can face both ways. I'm sad that I'll have to give it up and join the double buggy brigade as DS will still be a bit too young to be expected to walk everywhere or use a board. Oh well!
  • We have th m&p pliko pramette. It faces you as a pram but faces away as a pushchair. It's not the lightest but isn't overly heat either and it's lasted 5 years so far and is still going strong soni can't really complain about that!
  • We got the iCandy Cherry for DD, got it at a very good price so it was really the only option for us

It's lightweight, and the carrycot, seat unit and car seat (with adaptors) just clip on and off and it's really easy to manouver, much better than the umbrella fold buggy we have been using for a while now. Seat unit can face either way and it folds up quite small. I used to carry it over my shoulder like a bag when folded!

Looking forward to using it again with this little one x
  • I have gone for the M&P pliko pramette this time round as I am quite fussy when it comes to wheels etc, I personally dont like this new fangle wheel things but I know ppl that love them...

I needed something that was wasy to move about and fold up small as I dont have a lot of space and have 3 steps to get up outside my door... Ive had travel systems in the past and find they are quite bulky and wouldnt be suitable this time round.

I did look at the pliko switch as that was rear and forward facing but couldnt have the pram with it unles I wanted to pay extra which werent a major issue as I would have the lay down bit of the buggy from birth but it was 100 more than the pramette x
  • We have gone for a bugaboo cameleon - I knew I wanted one of these before I even really knew that I wanted a baby! We popped into John Lewis one day to look at the them and a couple already with a bugaboo managed to convince the hubby that it was a worthwhile investment!
  • We've got the Quinny Senzz - never thought I would purchase a pram online without trying it but MummyLintern2b got hers before me and said how fab it was compared to her many previous ones.

It was a bargain at just ??199 for travel system and carrycot and came in lots of colours to choose from, my friend who's 6 wks ahead of us came round the other week to look at it and has now got it in a different colour so we are Quinny Twinnies LOL.

It's so light and everything is just a click to change - right up my street image
  • this thread has just reminded me that I'm bidding on a double buggy on ebay atm and it's closing tomorrow!! Fingers crossed I get it!
  • Ooh FC for you, what one is it?

That's such a good price PBubs x
  • it's the M&P aria twin. I really wanted the baby jogger twin but then had a word with myself about not spending money unessaerily on something that I'm not sure how much we'll use with DD2 turning 2 before bubs arrives. I have the Aria single and love it as a lightweight pushchair and one of my friends is a nursery nurse and says they only have the aria twins as they are so easy to manouver! This one comes with footmuffs, a rain cover and matching parasol so I am really hoping I don't get outbid!!!
  • First time around we had the i candy cherry and I LOVED it. So sad to not be using it again this time. It is lightweight, folds really quickly and easily and is lovely to push.

We have gone for a double this time and bought the baby jogger city select from ebay. Went for this one as you can have both children forward facing, it folds easily, it has a HUGE shopping basket and can be used as a single when we no longer need it as a double. On the downside though it is very heavy but then I guess it needs to be as it is a double.
  • We've ordered the I-candy apple, it's easy to assemble etc, nice wheels and good space underneath for lots of shopping. Plus it looks nice and pushchair can face both ways, has an adjustable handle height which suits hubby who is tall. Plus it can be converted into a double if down the line we have another.
  • I have the quinny senzz to use for nipping around or for just one baby at a time and then i am getting the baby jogger city mini double as in laws are buying us as a gift or not sure what we would have done as cant really justify spending a lot on something i dont know how much i will use
  • Thanks for your replies ladies.

Went for a look today and I liked the iCandy apple. They didn't have a cherry just an apple and the peach. The peach looked good online but in the shop it was very low and seems like baby would be very far away! The apple was higher up so liked it better.

The apple frame did seem pretty heavy tho and as we are currently in a flat it might be too much to carry it up and down the stairs.

How often do u carry your prams folded? I guess I'd leave the chasis in the car most if the time but as we can't park outside our flat it could become a pain.

So many options!!
  • I am having to buy a double pram this time around so going for a double out n about, easy to push lightweight and folds up easily..eek double pram! x
  • I have a friend with the apple (she lived in a flat too and I think used to bump it). She did used to say it was quite heavy, but as it can be converted to a double it needs to be really. They do look really nice (nicer than the cherry I think but we got the cherry as it was cheaper)

I didn't do much carrying of mine folded, it really did live in the carboot x
  • I think the thing with e weight is that even lifting it in and out of the car can be tricky if it's heavy and your boot's not huge. Especially next time your pregnant image But saying that none of them are ????ber lightweight really so go with one that feels good to push when you test it out. In terms of weight though I would say that is a huge consideration with your car seat. I've had to buy a new one is time as the one we used for both DDs (m & p primo viaggio) weighs a tonne even without a baby in so by the time DD2 especially (she's a chunky monkey) was a few months old it was so heavy to get in an out of the car and, as we have a 3 door car, I ended up moving her to a forward facing seat slightly earlier than I should have just because I couldn't manage the car seat any more. This time we've bought the maxi cosi off a friend as they are loads lighter.
  • i had the primo viaggio too and had similar probs , moved to a maxi cosi i borrowed for last few months before moving jake to his forward seat , this time i have gone for the maxi cosi as it is WAY lighter

the new m&p cybex aton is very lightweight too if anyone is getting a M&P pram or a pram thats compatible with the aton x
  • I love my forward facing M&P seat and the M&P cybex booster that DD1 has I just don't know why they had to make the baby seat so heavy! And with such a pointless hood - i like the way the maxi cosi one attaches to the arry handle so that it actually shades baby. My Primo viaggio hood would only stay up if I wedged a jumpet between the handle and hood to make it stick!!

on another note i won my ebay auction so just have to go pick up my double buggy at the weekend hopefully!!
  • Well done, hope it's a good pram! x
  • I've gone for m&ps zoom I love it and it's a bargain so lightweight and got the cybex Aton car seat , just need to base for tht now, so much easier and wish we'd had one with ds.xx