Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Diabetes

Hi ladies,

My gtt test came back positive so I spent most of today having another scan and talking to various doctors and midwives about diabetes , alot to take in . I was just wondering if anyone on here has it aswell or had it in previous pregnancies ?? seems to be alot of ifs and buts at the minute but basically they said they wouldn't let me go over term as she may get too big !

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    Hi Lily,

no personal experiance of pregnancy diabetes but it sounds like you are being looked after and given all the info possible, my bro-in-law has type 1 diabetes and he lives a perfectly normal life (in fact he's a policeman so super active)

xx

baby_princessIOM
  • Options
    Hiya,

I have my GTT test in 2 1/2 weeks, its good that they have picked up on it so at least you can be looked after, from what I know you just need to eat healthily and they will montior you closely but try not to get too worried about it (I know easier said then done).

Take care,

xxx
  • Options
    it does seem like you are getting lots of attention so thats something, i had my GTT over a week ago and still not had results but i go back on thursday so will hear then ive had big babies in the past hense why im being tested, my advise is to take raspberry leaf tea or tablets after 32 weeks and build it up in your system i always take tabs as dont like the tea. Ive had a 10lb 1oz baby and a 10lb 10oz baby and both with no tears etc and i put it down to the tabs but cant be sure but anything is worth a tryimage
  • Options
    Hi,

I saw this on the homepage so thought I'd respond hope you don't mind. I had diabetes in my last pregnancy but it was borderline. I had to skin prick test 3 times a day alternating between an hour before and an hour after food, follow a healthy gi diet which wasn't too bad. I had regular appts at the diabetes clinic and from 28 weeks was consultant lead rather than being under my midwife. I also had growth scans which was a bonus as got to see baby lots extra. We also had to stay in hospital for 24 hours after as baby had to be heel prick tested regularly to check his blood sugar was ok. It really wasn't that bad once the initial shock had worn off and I got plenty of support. I had another gtt 6 weeks after giving birth to make sure it had gone and all was fine.

Hope this helps x x
  • Options
    Thanks ladies , I'm getting the hang of testing my blood now . It really does make you look at what your eating though ! No Easter eggs for me this weekend image

• Options
    A friend of mine has gestational diabetes and there are lots of different treatments and interventions depending on your blood sugar levels. If it can be controlled through diet and monitoring that's great news. The next step to try is a drug In tablet form like metformin to help and if that doesn't work you can need to inject with insulin. My friend is a more serious case and injects 4 times per day and they want to induce her at 38 weeks to avoid a large baby.

Hopefully if you are border line you won't need any further treatment and you will benefit from seeing your baby lots whe you have growth scans.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info I hope your friend is ok , I spoke with diabetes nurse today and she said because my readings are still up and down they may start me on treatment on Monday after my next scan .I Think if she has grown alot more then they definitely will . Not looking forward to it but if it stabilises her then it's good . I'm due to finish work at 38 weeks so they want to induce me I may have to look at that !!!

Xx