Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Turning breech baby

Anyone had ECV to turn a breech baby? I'm almost 34 weeks and baby has been breech constantly for a good few weeks now! I have to go back in 3 weeks for a scan and if not turned consideration for ECV... Don't know whether to do this or opt for section, any advice?

Replies

• I have heard conflicting advice on ECVs, but when they thought DD was breech I would have definitely have gone for it over a section

It may be worth asking about the success rate of the person performing the procedure- some are better than others

As for turning bubs another way, moxibustion is something to try (same thing as ccarter mentions) where they burn things by your toe. Sounds stupid really but as far as I have seen it has a similar success rate to the ECV

Also you could try getting on your hands and knees with your bum raised up (do it for a length of time every day) or you could try shining a torch/playing music towards the bottom of your bump

xx

• Ooh I hate to be negative but I had this with my son and have to say I would never do it again, I found it really traumatic and not a nice experience at all. In didnt work either and apparently the success rate it pretty low. I'm sure there are some positive experiences but I know that in the same situation again, I would go with a c section in a heartbeat. Good luck with whatever you choose xx
  • Thanks ladies, am doing the bum in air thing every day, read about it on spinning babies website. Going to book some accupressure and see if I can find someone who does moxibustion, I'll try everything over the next 3 weeks! I don't fancy my poor wee baby being pushed into a position it doesn't want to be in but don't want a section! Ahhhh!
  • g/c  from due in july, but my DD was breech and I tried all the funny positions etc.  We also tried moxibustion but did it ourselves  - you can buy the sticks to burn from herbal medicine shops.  Can't say if any of it helped but she did turn just before our scan at 37 weeks and she was a big baby so there is still enough time and room in there for baby to turn!

• We had a scan on thurs and baby is now head down thankfully! It was hyper last sat all afternoon and evening and when I woke on Sunday I was quite sore so think that may have been when it turned!
  • Great news!! x

• Great news! My DD1 was breech right up until 36 weeks but she then turned. I think most do which is why they don;t scan you til quite late but mw's freak you out checking position from quite early on!

PS though I would have tried anything to avoid a section, just to know I'd given it my best shot.