Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sweep

Hey ladies, Any of you had a sweep? Been offered one at next appointment where I'll be 40+1. Just wondering if they were successful for u? S x

Replies

• I would say worth a try, when will you be going for yours? x

• It would be on thursday!

A friend said she'd had one at 41 weeks but was really sore and had to stop cause baby just wasn't low enough and mw was having to reach really far!!!

My mw has said baby is engaged so hopefully low enough to do it without too much pain!
  • I had them both times before and will go for one again when offered. First time it seemed to work quite quickly. With DD2 I went into labour 2 or 3 days later so less likely to have been effective but with both pregnancies they could barely reach the cervix so weren't particulalrly confident it would work anyway. Pain wise it's similar to a very thorough smear test so most definitely uncomfortable but you just grit your teeth and it goes away once it's done!

Good luck for next week ladies! X
  • Hiya, g/c but i was offered a sweep at 40+5, but when she tried to do it i had an 'unfavourable cervix' so she couldn't. Went in to spontaneous labour 3 days later! So just wanted to say, don't worry if they can't do it as it doesn't necessarily mean you'll still have a long wait.

xxx

• Is it weird that I am jealous of those of you being "fiddled" with?!?! I've had a couple of bleeds, likely due to my low lying placenta, and yesterday midwife found baby's head is in an "unfavourable" position, and no one will touch me in case it sets anything off! A decision still hasn't been made as to whether I can labour naturally or got to have a c-section. Very frustrated! Sorry, completely hijacked thread there.

A very fed up RS 37+6 xxx
  • They usually won't do a sweep til you're to term anyway Ruthiespoon hopefully they'll have made a decision about your c section by then! X
  • Yeah, I realise that, but with all the bleeds and the back and forth to hospital, trying to sort out my toddler (and put up with my "hard done by husband") I could just do with meeting my yellow bump now. Oh well, these things are sent to try us eh?

Settling down for another noisy night in hospital...

RS xxxxx
  • I'm booked in for one on tues but really hoping things start naturally before that! X