Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bottle feeding

Hi there. Cameron is 3 weeks n 3 days old. He takes differnet amounts each time in his bottle is this ok? sometimes he'll have 3-3.5 oz (usually) other times he'll polish off 4-5 oz, sometimes only 2. does this matter? i am trying to establish a routine which was easy last week when he was only taking 3oz dot on every time but now he's taking that bit more should i be making him go longer between feeds or still feeding him every 3 hours.

xx x

Replies

• Not sure for ff hon - maybe ask on bottle feeding forum?xx
  • If he wants fed every 3 hours then keep it as that. A lot of babies dont go 4 hours for quite a while. Gabe is 10 weeks on friday and drinks 7oz but every 3 hours on the dot! He will go 4 but only if we're out. x
  • Blimey - 7oz every 3 hours?! Little piglet!!! (says the woman with the obese bf baby!)xx
  • Dylan has been taking varying amounts each feed (which is usually every 3 hours) up until yesterday & he's now only having 2oz & not a drop more!! But he has been constipated, poor little imp, so think that may have something to do with it!!
    The midwives i've seen, say they will take basically what they want & not to go by the guidelines on the formula tins?!?!
  • tyler feeds every 3 hrs and also takes different amounts (usually 3 but sometimes anything between 3 - 5 oz). I let him if thats what he wants and have never worried about it. There is a bottle feeding forum maybe u could put a post on there.

elaine and boys xx
  • I know tell me about it! (Thats hungry baby milk as well btw...didn't make a blind bit of difference just makes him poo like mad!) Im going to have to up them to 8oz soon as he drains most of them. I guess its good to have a baby with a healthy appetite but its costing me a fortune lol.
  • The best advice I had from a doctor was to feed Mason what he wants, when he wants....

I follow the guidelines on the tin but always add that extra ounce (old wives tale apparantly)

It works brilliantly, I never time when I have fed him or when he is due etc and Mason now sleeps all through the night. He does feed alot in the day ( between every 1 and half-3 hours) but its not a problem if it means we both have a good noghts sleep.

I know every baby is different but I did all that mallarky of waking him for a feed after 4 hours etc and it was a nightmare and he wasn't happy either!!!

I hope all your LOs soon settle into their own feeding routine.

Katie and Mason.x x x
  • Hi, Katie is 3 weeks and 1 day old and she is roughly on every 3 hours. She has 150 mls in the bottle (approx 5 oz) but drinks between 130-140 mls on average. In the day she'll sometimes go an extra half hour longer - can't wait until she goes 4 hourly.

Katie weighs about 7lb 8oz. She is on SMA gold and on the tin it says birth to 2 weeks at 7lb 3/4 oz to have- 3 oz and 6 feeds in 24hrs, then at 2 - 4 wks 9lb 1/4 oz to have 4 oz and 6 feeds in 24 hrs. I'm just going with what she wants, not on the tin.

Hubby does the last feed about midnight and I do the rest. I'm not as tired as I thought I'd be like with my others - but would love a few hours snooze to catch up.

Chelle & Baby Katie xx