Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 08

My Birth Story (Sorry v. long!)

Well, now finally got a chance to tell you all the birth story of Chloe Mae.

It all started on Sunday 15th November. I woke up at 6.30am, feeling some twinges, but didn't think anything of it as been having them the week before. Went to the loo and had an upset stomach and a show (Sorry tmi!). At this point I realised something was happening, so woke my OH up and told him that I was having contractions. As with Olly they were around 2 minutes apart, but not that strong. OH then went downstairs to ring my parents who had to travel down from norwich to look after Olly, with me hoping that things didn't progress too quickly! Had some breakfast and wandered around the house and finishing my hospital bag. Got OH to put on the TENS machine which took my mind off the pains. I found that walking made the contractions more frequent and a lot stronger, so sat for a bit until my parents arrived.

My parents arrived at 10am. My mum got quite concerned when I had 2 contractions really close together and said 'shouldn't you be going to the hospital now!', so my OH suggested a walk around the block instead! He half dragged me around, but I kept walking through the contractions. I'm really glad that it was a sunday and not many people around as god knows what I looked like!

Arrived home around 10.50am, where I announced that I was ringing the hospital to ask what I should do, as I didn't want to get there to then be sent home. The midwife I spoke to was lovely and said to wait half an hour to see if I thought I could cope with the pain. At this point the contractions got more regular and stronger, so I rang back at 11.30am and she said to come in, I must have sounded in pain!

Got to the hospital at 12 noon, parked and walked up the hill to the birthing centre. I got settled in by the midwife that I spoke to on the phone and she checked me to find that I was 5cm dilated! I was so surprised that I'd coped so well up to that point! She then said that she didn't plan to examine me again for another 4 hours. I then had some gas and air and kept getting fits of the giggles. My OH encouraged me to keep standing up and walking for the next few hours. At one point we were dancing and singing along to my OH's ipod, which the midwives thought was hilarious. They kept asking if I wanted them to run the pool and I said that I didn't know as wasn't sure how long there was to go. my OH then said ' if they keep asking you, then the answer should probably be yes'.

Got into the pool at around 2.45pm, where things really started to slow down. Also, I couldn't get comfortable when having contractions, I even tried leaning on a rubber ring which really didn't help. Quite honestly I also felt a bit like an animal in a zoo, with 2 midwives watching and my OH. It was at this point that I realised that the birth was quite close as I had some urges to push. After around half an hour the midwife then asked if I wanted to get out, so I did. As soon as I stood up the contractions got a lot stronger and more regular again.

I walked back to my room and stood leaning on the bed and my waters then broke.Things then went really quickly and I started pushing with the contractions, still standing up. The midwives joked that they would need a change of clothes afterwards. I got really scared at one point and started saying that I couldn't do it,but my OH and midwife encouraged me. I thought that the only way to get rid of the pain was to push! After about 4 pushes and a lot of stinging I was told just to breathe which felt like forever. I even asked 'can I push again yet!' and was told yes. Chloe was then born at 3.56pm and passed through my legs onto the bed. She had her hand up by her head and the cord around her neck, so was a bit blue and swollen. I was just so happy at this point, that I managed to give birth naturally with only gas and air, all I kept saying was 'I can't believe it, I can't believe it'. The most painful part was delivering the placenta, which took forever even after the injection and then the midwife's examination to see if I had torn. I had to use gas and air at this point, which I found amusing as I hadn't needed it to push Chloe out!

After all this Chloe was then given to me, where she had as good breastfeed. There were then bets on how much she weighed, the midwife thought around 8lbs and OH 7lbs something, so it was a surprise to find that she was 8lbs 14oz. I felt even more proud of myself at this point, as i'd managed a large baby with no stitches! Even more surprisingly, I was allowed home only 4 hours later and spent the night in my own bed!

We are doing well, Chloe still hasn't quite got back to her birth weight, but she is feeding well, particularly in the night! Olly is adjusting well and gives her cuddles and kisses.

Well done for getting to the end, I hope it wasn't too boring!

Jules, Olly and Chloe x

Replies

• Oh hun, a huge well done, really lovely to read and so pleased you have your daughter.

It did bring back some painful memories of my second birth but also put a huge smile on my face for the wonderful special moment we bring our child onto the world.

Congratulations again.x x x
  • Aaaww! You did really great hun! Well done and congratulations on your little girl! xxxxxxxx
  • awww see now i cried, well done you xxxx
    congrats to u all cant wait to see pics xx
  • Wow thats a good weight! Congratulations on the birth of your little girl hun! x x x x