Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

my sister and her son

hi all i spoke to madnella+blue bump about this on facebook but had to try n make sense of it onhere

my sis has a 4mnth old baby who she ADORES (get that straight right now ) but i was playing with him yesterday n noticed he doesnt respond to sound AT ALL i did like the hv does for hearing test as part of the game we were playing its basically holding a toy behind them but towards one ear n shaking it he didnt even blink which i thought was odd so i tried clapping quiet loudly n his eyes didnt even flicker. it worried me as my son has some partial hearing issues, i talked to my sis n she was v calm not defensive like i thought shed be. but she wasnt concerned at all she says hes just being lazy. he might be but i mean not even a flicker whatso ever. n he screams all day long unless she holds him. i know i sound like i think i know it all but im just worried for her n my nephew as i know if it gets discovered down the line she'll feel awful. but i get why she might wanna ignore me im the big sis n perhaps she thinks im just picking faults with him which im not hes lovely n very bright he pases things hand to hand n has the most amazing smile.

i guess part of it is also shes my baby sis n i wanna take care of her.

i am really concerned but dont wanna be opushy any suggestions

thanks all xxxxx

Replies

• has he had his hearing test? he shouldve had one at birth where they send 'clicks' (messages) down babys ear and see the response?
  • he was born in russells hall in birmingham who didnt provide newborn screening!! luca has only just had a newborn one n hes 8 months so maybe james will get one soon! i guess if there was a problem she would know best!!!
  • oh i thought it was routine for all babies to have that now. tell her to go to her local hv and ask when the babies have their hearing test. hope all is well hun xx xx
  • see i wondered if that was the case (concentration) but nina says he never responds she was under the impression that young babies dont???? mine did except charlie because he had such but glue ear he was partialy deaf. im sure she will get him checked over i was just worried over protective big sis !!! i hope rubys is just down to concentration hun does she make lots of sounds yet?? if u r concerned might be worth bringing it up with ur g.p??? just saw ur new fb pics shes so gorgeous xxxx
  • hi all sadly it looks like my instincts were right the hv did a test to shut my sis up n no responce so he is now seeing an audiologist. ill keep u all posted x image
  • aww hun, bless you and your family. That must be so hard, hugs xx
  • thanks ladies i know he'll be fine im just relieved nina took it on board n is sorting it ahe can be the head in the sand type xxxxxxxxxxx