Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 08

Help - dyam bottle feeding!

Hi girlies

Hope you can help me yet again that is the farce of me bottle feeding (you really wouldn't believe I've done this 3 times before would you?!)

Now, while Reiss was bf he was eating loads of solids, but since i've started him on ff, he has eaten virtually nothing. Now I'm not overly worried as he has enough fat on him to last him a few weeks, but I was wondering how much ff he should be taking roughly.

He drinks anywhere between 5-7 oz, 4-5 times a day. He has also (SHHHHHHH) started to sleep through the night, so he's obviously not hungry. So, question is - is he getting too much ff for his age - should I be limiting it so he eats more solids? I'm confused!:\?

Replies

• hey hun honestly don't worry, he'll take more solids when he's ready, they don't need to rely properly on them till around a year, they can live happily on formula. Weanings more a learning process for them at the mo.

luca's on three bottles a day of four ounces and 2/3bottles a night of six. so maybe because hes sleeping through Reiss needs more milk during a dayimage

congrats on him sleeping through the night!!!! touchwood
  • Tyler takes 6/7oz bottles 4/5 times a day and has 2 meals. Its prob just where his belly is getting used to formula (he might have some not so nice nappies or be a lil constipated) He sounds like he is getting enough milk and will prob start picking up the solids again in a week mybe sooner. xx
  • yes the nappies - omg really badly nasty!

thanks girls think you're both right, just getting used to ff and will pick up solids again when he's ready.xx
  • Remeber that the FF has more calories in it than your BM, also Reiss is used to feeding little & often rather than bigger bottles..

Charlie has (i know he is a month young, but.. well YOU know!.. lol) 9oz of milk 1 at 12am, 1 at 7-8am, breakie at 10-11, milk 9oz at 1pmish, Dinner at 4-5ish, bottle at 7-7:30pm, bed.. so...

4: 9oz's
    2imageoild meals.. some times he has it all & sometime not! lol like us all i suspose.. hope this helps hun! xx
  • summer only has 3 bottles a day i make 7oz up and she normally has 5-6oz if it and is on 3 meals a day now. but she is a month older???
  • Gabe is nearly 8 months but he still drinks 7oz 4 times a day 5 if up late. He eats solids but not loads, HV said he should be on less milk (no more than 20oz) but I ignored her lol as Gabe still wants the milk so just following his lead for now. I think thats the best thing to do!xx
  • He's settled into a bit more of aroutine now, and has 4x5oz bottles, so perfectly on target with your HV Phil!! (you know I don't 'do' HV!!)

He's just started eating again aswell, so I think you're prob right Natalie, he's getting used to it laying in his tummy for longer and is having more in one go.

thanks girlsxx
  • Lily has the same as Reiss and has breakfast and tea too. Although she is now starting to take 4 bottles of 8oz rather than 5 bottles of 7oz.
    xxxxx