Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 08

FAO of mums of more than one

Hi

I need some advice, my son is nearly 5 and seems to be pushing his luck more than usual since his baby sister arrived, i cant seem to do anything but shout at him, he just doesnt listen, any advice and guidance to what i can do, his step daddy tries to spend more time with him he just seems to want my attention which is difficult when i am breastfeeding caitlin, should i give up breastfeeding and spend more time with him or stick at it. Also worried as he has mentioned he wants to see his real daddy since she has arrived, what do i do help!!! cant stop crying most days now, will i lose my son to his dad?:\?

Replies

• Hiya

I've got a 4 year old who is also pushing his luck big time - he's been threatened with the bin a good few times believe me!

I think all we can do is get them involved as possible - Jules helps me change nappies etc and I bf while playing board games, reading stories some times aswell. I know what you mean about bf being hard though - it just seems to take forever doesn't it?

Again, Jules is very involved and knows more about bf than most grown ups - he has even helped me express and insisted on tasting my milk (drunk from a nipple shield I hasten to add!) Has Robbie started school yet or is he due to start in September?

The thought of the loooooong summer holidays is stretching out in front of us now - I'm planning what to do each day and again, getting Jules involved in that. LO will come along - that's when bfing is handy - no worries about endless bottles etc!

Can't advise re his natural dad - I did have this with my dd's but they didn't see their dad cos he was a complete waste of space!

Robbie will love you for being you hon, you will not lose him to his dad, but you may have to share him a little - I know this is hard,but it's probably natural for him to want to know where he came from - I'm sure it will be a phase that he will soon get bored with when he realises that his real base is at home with you all.

Big hugs - go wipe your face and remember as tired and as difficult as it gets (I can hear my 17 yr dd ripping strips off him as we speak for being naughty/not listening yet again!) it is only a phase!

Roll on September.......xxxx
  • as well as tyler ive got James - 3 in oct and isaac-elijah 18 months. they have both been angels as far as jelousy and playin up more go which is surprising as isaac was a right mummys boy!! but i would advise that when he plays up more not to shout (easier said than done i know) but it might make him feel pushed away and then he could play up even more or resent Caitlin.

Sorry i cant be much help.

Elaine and boys xx
  • Tracey i cnt offer any advice on this but im sooo glad im not the only one. My OH went back to work on monday so iv had sophie and rhys on my own and its a nitemare. Rhys will not do as he is told and like u i find myself constantly shouting at him and im upset all the time. I have had to give up the breastfeeding because of not been able to look after Rhys properly, but im still expressing so Sophie is having all her daytime feeds as breastmilk from the bottle and then her nite time feeds are formula. Although i wud have loved to continue breastfeeding wen uv got a toddler to run around after it just doesnt work. Sorry iv got no advice just wanted to let u know ur not on ur own. Kerry xxx
  • thanks guys, robbies dad is a waste of space, n has a voilent n was an addict hence im nervous bout robbie wantin to see him xx oh is pickin up robbie n spending tomorrow with him boys together going to play area n then to see one of robbies friends xx ray believes we both need 1 to 1 time with robbie n started a reward chart with rewards as cuddl time, daddy time, mummy time n family time each week he will get a treat on a saturday if he has been good, like trip 2 park etc xx iat least i know im not alone xx cheers guys xx Tracey