Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 08

o/t Considering major career chnage - advice/thoughts needed

I've posted this in 'working mums' too but love any advice or thoughts from you guys too...

OK, where to start.... since being back at work (I work as a trainer in financial services) I've found that the job I loved has changed so much and to cut a long story short I just don't really enjoy it anymore!

I've alwasy wanted to be a midwife and since going through childbirth and my numerous complications after (and still!) its made me want to do it even more...

I've spoken to careers advice line today and they have given me the following info...

That my three a levels (200 points worth) should be acceptable unless the specific uni want a science one included otherwise I'll need to do an access course! Hope not! That my tuition fees will be paid by nhs, I should qualify for a bursery of between ??2500 and ??4000pa, 50% of a student loan (at ??2000 pa) and a parents learning allowance of ??1500 pa.... as well as poss discounts of council tax etc!

I guess I just wanted any info at all from anyone that has done/doing this/similar, or if you know anyone that has and how you/they found it... financially, childcare wise etc etc???

How will this affect my CTC too, do the burseries/loans etc count as income for child tax assessments!?!?!

Its a massive decision and I just want to completely research it to death before deciding to give up my job of 10 years! It would mean I drop in income I'm sure so not sure how to manage that but keep reading more and more about vaious burseries etc so hoping they will be of some use!

Gary is unsure about it all, he's worried about finances, and work life balance etc... as well as having more children, how would that fit in! Not that he is against it - just making sure i consider eveything I guess!

It just feels like such a minefield and I would need to be 1000% sure I was doing the right thing.... trouble is the more I read the more I want to do it and I'm worried I'll get my hopes ruined if my qulaiifcations aren't enough to go directly to the degree...

Sorry to ramble - but HELP!

Amy x

Replies

• Hi Amy,

I don't know how much advise i can give you as i'm wanting to do the same thing - and also have the same worries you do!! I have 3 children - twin girls and a son. I have wanted to be a midwife for years now, but am terrified of not being financially stable for the 3 years it will take to do the course! My hubby doesn't earn mega bucks so my main worry is getting into serious debt.

If anyone can help me too, i'd be grateful image
  • hi, ok i went to uni b4 i was pregnant with caitlin but i had a school age child, ok it went like this applied got in lol, got grant n loans n got council tax exempted (only cos i was single mum), ctc should bump up if ur working if not it will stay the same . Childcare in through student finance not tax credits unless u get it through hubby.

benefits well depends on ur income, but defo worth it, i am doing open uni course as i cant get to uni here n dont have childcare all the time since my dad is sick now.

Good luck n go for it hun, try tax credits website calculator n student finance one x
  • Hey hun don't really have any advice but just wanted to say good luck if you do go ahead and do it!!!! Becoming a midwife is something I would love to do in the future but with a 1 year old and another one due soon its just not possible at the moment! xxx