Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

This bloody weaning malarky!!

Right - just when I think we are getting things sorted (routine going well) I have to change something. Can you help me please???

Started Tommy on the "lumpier" stuff yesterday (which probably wasnt a good idea as we were out but the same thing happened today). He made the most horrendous noises (like in the old films when people have been poisoned) and pulled the weirdest gagging faces I have ever seen. It just seems to get louder and louder and go on longer and longer til he finally refuses to open his mouth - I think we might have an actor in the family.

Now, should I just keep trying the lumpy stuff or just put him onto finger foods, tbh today at lunchtime I couldnt take the pained expression on his face anymore and made him his 1st ever sandwich (that too was an experience pictures to follow lol). Thing is what to give as a dinner - when I tried him with my "home-cooked" veg he projectile vomited it straight back at me.

Also how will I know he has had enough?

Replies

• Hi Lee dont really know what to sugest as Ashton has decieded that he doesn't need to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He refuses to open his mouth to anything other than custard or yoghurt! Today for lunch I just gave him some rice cakes and grapes and he has had a good munch on them, gonna try him on a chicken dipper tonight - think he just wants to eat himself!!! xxxxxx
  • It might have been a lot better if Tommy had refused to eat yesterday hon instead of making as many people in the Trafford Centre think I was poisoning/choking him! Thought I was gonna get arrested at any minute lol
    xxxx
  • lol these junies are a right cheeky bunch!!!! xxxx
  • Hi hun, Mason also gagged on the lumpier stuff so I gave up but then gave it another go a week later and after 2 days of gagging he finally gave in and eats it fine now. Its really horrible the noises and faces they pull but I would say persevere. x x x x
  • Iv not really had this problem....yet. (Zac only been on lumpier stuff for 4 days). Maybe your little boy just isnt quite ready yet.

My cousins LO is 12 months old and still makes the gagging noises and the silent choking face when she has lumpier food.

You could leave it a few days then try again. Or try mashing the lumpier stuff a little before giving to him and gradually leave bigger lumps. Or if using jars of food mix a meal that is part stage 1 and part stage 2 til he gets used to the lumps.

Guess this part of weening is a bit hit and miss. Sorry I cant help more.

Beck n Zacky
  • Thanks everyone!

Gonna try the making it less lumpy by mixing it and see how we get on for a few days.

xxxxx
  • Reiss hates lumps aswell hon, but chomps on pitta bread etc, I just give him puree still, he'll eat lumps when he's ready!xx
  • Gave Zacky some stage 2 Heinz jar of Meditterranian veg and chicken, this might be OK for your LO.

Wes feeding this to Zacky and had already commented to OH that it was quite a thin puree consistancy. It had still go visible lumps in it as well though. DUring the feed I noticed that LO was not chewing the lumps as he usually does so I checked the bowl as I didnt want him to choke. When I touched the lumps with the spoon they were just disintergrating and melting into the puree base. They were just so soft. Thought the idea of lumpier foods was to encourage LO's to push food around their mouth to develop skills needed for chewing and speach??

There were more lumps in the veg curry he had for his tea LOL.

Beck.
  • lol - these Junie babys!! Tyler isnt keen on lumpy stuff either. TBH I dont think many babies are till they are about 9 months. Try mashing rather than blending coz its a lumpier texture without too many lumps. I think your right to give finger food a go too. Good luck hun xxxx