Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Stopped bfing.

Hey girls, well as the title says, I've stopped!

I've had low milk supply for an eternity and it was a struggle to feed Reiss from being aroujnd 12 weeks, but I persevered and managed to get to 6.5months!

I decided on the spur of the moment to stop yesterday and even though I haven't fed him for over 24 hours, my boobs are still soft, so it just shows how little milk I had. sigh....

I did want to get to at least a year and wasn't even ruling out up to 2 (morning and evening only) but sadly things didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. Reiss however is overjoyed as he is guzzling back 7oz bottles of ff, poor milk starved baby!

On the plus side, I can wear normal bras again - whoop whoop! However, put one on yesterday and seeing as I'm still such a lard after having him it doesn't fit very well and I was in pain all day with it cutting into me!

So, I'm 'free' again - almost feel like going away for a weekend just because I can! (Actually I don't think I could leave him this long yet anyway)

Just thought I'd share - I'm a bit sad, but happy I managed for this long.xx

Replies

• well done for lasting so long karenimage

i really wanted to breastfeed for atleast a year but had to introduce formula after a week as he wasnt satisfied, and then he was fully bottle fed from two months so 6 and a half months is fantastic x x
  • Well done hun, sorry you didn't get to a year but you've done so well. I'd have given up months ago if I'd had as many problems as you have. Don't let Reiss fool you with the starving baby routine, you can tell from his photo's that he is clearly not that starving :lol: he's just like my fatty and will eat anything that is put in front of him!!
    xx
  • Hi Ksren

Don't feel sad you did really well geting to 6.5months and you should be very proud of that.

Well done!!

Cazz
  • YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOURSELF HUN - i MANAGED A WEEK!! XX
  • well done Karen, I know how desperate you were to bf and you have done a fabulous job!! xx
  • Karen you have done fantastic! so what you didn't get to a year! he is on 3 meals a day plus a pudding! you haven't given up at all you have clearly given him all the nurishment he has needed! :lol: no more whipping your boobies out in public! lol x
  • 6.5 months is amazing Karen, go you! Hope you're feeling very smug, lol. Honestly though, you should be very proud. Sorry you're abit sad about stopping, I know what you mean though, am dreading stopping myself. xxx
  • Thanks girls, I'm ok, but still a little sad I guess, I feel like I've given up some exclusively of my baby. Reiss I have to say has not shown any signs of missing it the little so and so! It's weird cos only now after 2 full days has one of my boobs become slightly uncomfortable! Any tips on how to alleviate it would be greatly appreciated!

It was very sweet today because my BIL and my niece came over as they live in France and my niece has never seen Reiss. As soon as she saw the bottle she was so excited about feeding him and I let her - it was a really lovely moment so that made me feel a bit better.

Thank you again for your support girls, for the bfers I hope you continue for as long as you want to.

For the ffers, how the hell do you get the scoopy knife thing done with a screaming baby in one hand and then realise that you've got no water in the bloody kettle - aaaggggghhhhh?!!xx
  • Karen! two things in the milk pot there is a little ledge to scoop againt! lol took me & simon two weeks to find it! you don't need the knife.. & for your boobies put cabbage leaves in your bra! there is some property in them that dry's up all your milk! xxx (no really!! :lolimage xx
  • lol i only found the scoopy edge thing a couple of months agoimage
  • Ok, unless I'm being completely docile, I can't find it. What milk are you using?

On the Aptamil box, there is a ledge and also a clip at the top to keep the scooper in. (posh milk!)

However, on the SMA Gold tin, there doesn't seem to be anything (lower class milk obviously!)

Please explain cos I've just had to make a bottle up with Reiss dangling from the edge of a knife!

Also solved the engorgement - I stuck Reiss on for a little slurp to take it down! I know this will mean it will take longer for my milk to stop producing (or maybe not in my case!) but tbh I don't mind as I didn't really want to stop for any other reason than low supply anyway. And it meant I could snuggle down in bed for an extra 10 minutes before braving the cold kitchen!xx
  • just wanted to say congrats karen for lasting so long with the bf!! summer just would not latch on at all!! i was gutted, but shes been ok with the milk once we found the right one for her that is!!

btw sma dont have the ledge thingy only the cow & gate family have em i think i use aptimil and they r a part of cow & gate so have the ledge, its soooooooooooooo much easier lol
  • well done karen, im a bit like you breast feeding has not been the easiest. I am joining the ff babies club, now after lack of sleep, and being bitten one too many times, i offficially give up made it to 6 months which is more than my goal was, so im happy, plus Ray can feed her over the xmas period, thank god some sleep.

So how much should she be in she wieghs 15lb and obviously 6 months, how many times eek backto being confused mummy again, she has breakfast, lunch and dinner with yoghurt as well, so far given her breast in morning, breakfast with water, bottle 5oz, using apitmal hunger baby milk should i be using the first one. Help xx

And my sore are sore already gone hard, ill try the cabbage thing and a warm bath tonight.
  • I use Cow & gate.. lol so neither of those! run your finger around the inside of the box.. the bit thats not the same shape as all the rest is it! hks123 :lol: glad we were not the only ones! xx
  • its a round tin! there is no bloody rim woman! is anyone else using sma gold?
  • :lol: tough luck then missy! you'll just have to scoop & scrape! are you maing them in advance or one at a time? you can make a few up at a time, if Reiss is having a nap.. make it a bit easier for your self! x
  • I use Cow & Gate and it has that ledge thing but I never got the hang of it, I find it easier to use a knife...ironically lol.

Get some formula powder dispensers - they're fab. I use tomee tippee ones and I add the powder to them every night so when I need the feed I just tip it in & shake...and warm (depending on how much Gabe is shouting!!!)

xx
  • well done for getting this far karen, you have done a grand job and should feel very proud.

em x
  • Thanks girls for all your help. I'll get some of those dispensers Phil - never really thought about it but it does make sense for when Reiss is bawling and doing his mini houdini act.

Natalie, I am going to make them up at the beginning of each day, I know all these guidelines say to do it individually yada yada, but I haven't really followed any of them so far and he seems to be surviving so will do what I did for the other lot! (bad mummy yeah yeah!)

Anybody else make them up or are you all good mummies?

Tracey - well done to you too honey. It's so hard isn't it if things don't just click into place.

Vicky, I get jealous of these women who's babies just latch on, drink and do what they're supposed to do!xx

Just realised I'm going to need more than two bottles - Reiss can't manage the Tommee Tippee ones as the milk comes out too fast, and I've only got 2 Avent ones.