Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 08

Word of warning - grapes.

Hi girls, haven't been on here for ages, added the odd response on baby but seem to get that far before Reiss starts messing with the lapi!

Was going to respond on Lee's post re what to feed and know that it's about this time that most people start giving their los grapes (including me with my last lot!)

However, just wanted to let you know to be aware of the choking hazards.

I have a few friends who work on the ENT ward in Great Ormond Street and they all tell me the same thing - that they do more operations and have far more incidences of removing grapes from airways/lungs of los than peanuts!

Apparently because they are quite slippery they are very easy to go down the wrong way. They tell me that if you are going to give grapes, peel them and chop them into at least quarters before giving them.

Sorry girls, don't want to put a dampner and it's not a case of me lecturing, but would hate for any of your los to suffer and for me to not have let you know.

Apparently these cases are not one offs any more, they are actually quite common. The ones that end up at GOS are only the ones that have other medical problems or end up with much more severe problems as a result. General childrens wards in locals have loads of these incidences apparently.

Ok, duty done!imagexx

Replies

• Isaacs 2 and i still have to be careful giving him grapes LOL. That boy can choke on water though!!
  • I had heard this from a couple of places recently, and amdefinately not brave enough to give ZAcky grapes yet.

Yet, at one of the playgroups I took Zacky to when he was really little were providing a fruit snack for the older children with whole unpeeled grapes. Yes it is a parents choice on if the children ate grapes but we all know that LO's have a tendancy to just grab things, put in their mouth and then swallow. Usually without mommy seeing til the last minute. Admittedly Zacky was the youngest at 3mths, the other children were between 9 and 18 mths at the time.

Beck
  • I have heard this so dont give Gabe grapes. He has whole baked beans though and pieces of sweetcorn...he's 8 months, do you think that is OK? I have to watch him now as he has 4 teeth and you look away for a second and his finger food has disappeared lol - he usually manages fine but it is scary how quickly he eats!
  • He should be fine hon - they're small enough, it's more that the grape is ultra slippery and easily slides down the wrong way. Blimey - Gabe's doing so well eating! My lazy lump is still on purees, although he is ok with things like pitta bread, he doesn't eat it though, he just chomps on it til it's soggy and then drops it! 4 teeth aswell - awwww what happened to our babiiiiiiieeeeesssss?!xx