Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 08

Weaning...

I go to a postnatal group every Monday run by hv's and today the subject of discussions was weaning. I thought I'd share what was said as I found it quite useful although different to things I have heard before, but having said that this way seemed far more practical! It is interesting the amount of conflicting advice we get as new mums sometimes though isn't it!

Firstly she explained that the world health organsations guidelienes is no weaning before 6 months, but she stressed that this is for the whole world, and includes poorer countries where the quality of the food may not be as good as it is here, hence more need to wait longer so the little tummys can cope... but she said if your baby shows signs of being hungry (ie starting to wake more at night or go shorter between feeds and you have already tried hungry milk (unless bfing) ) then there is no reason not to wean sooner....

She said no sooner than 4 months and obvioulsy hold off as long as poss but not to worry if it is before 6 months.

If weaning before 6 months she said not to use baby rice (I would have started on that if I had not been today!) as it can be too starchy, but to start with pureed fruit and veg... then after six months you can introduce pretty much anything, gradually (apart from honey or peanuts etc) and make sure that they can chew lumpy food by 8 months to help speech development.

The other thing about introducing food before 6 months was that you should still keep up the same amount and frequency of milk feeds as this should be their primary food until 6 months and that the veg and fruit purees are just given as extras after a milk feed...

Sorry if you know this already just thought I would add it in case, as I know we have all probably been told something different on the subject and this approach seemed to make sense to me and put my mind at rest for the coming months! Up until today I had been given the impression it was a complete no no before 6 months - but to hear today that you can from 4 months if your baby needs it it has put my mind at rest. Of course it doesn't mean i will shove some pureed veg at Zac sooner than 6 month, but if he needs it sooner I won't be as concerned now!

Amy xx

Replies

• wow. V V interesting. Im 3 kids down the line and thought i knew pretty much everything about it but uv taught me something. Iv always started my boys on baby rice but i wont be now. Thanx Amy. Good luck with weaning LO!

Elaine and boys xx

[Modified by: Elaine&Boys on September 16, 2008 08:02 AM]

• Hi Amy seems that even in this country hv don't all say the same thing as I was at our food group yesterday to and we were told to start baby off on baby rice! Once they had got used to that then to add fruit & veg to it........we will all be even more confused now! xxx
  • I started my other 2 off on baby rice and have just started Ronnie, who is 15 weeks old on baby rice as well.

I will try pureed veg and fruit in the next few days and just try little bits until he is 6 months old and then will try bits of everything babies are allowed.

He seems very content and opens his mouth ready for the spoon and smiles while I'm feeding him so he obviously enjoys it.

Like hv's say every baby is different and every mum knows the needs of their own little ones.