Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Routines???

I just answered to something on "baby" and now I feel like a terrible mum!!!

We havent really got any routines in place for Tommy as we are pretty laid back ourselves and tend to take each day as it comes. Tommy is contended, which is the main thing, but having written it on here I am beginning to feel terrible and that I'm not doing my best by him!

Does everyone else have really strict routines or is there anyone else on here like us who just see what the day brings????

Love Lee
xxxxx

Replies

• Hiya
    I don't really have much of a routine lily naps and feeds when she wants during the day, the only bit or routine we have is that i try to get her bathed fed and to bed around the same time, but other than that like u we pretty much take it as it comes!
    Don't feel like a bad mum, strict routines aren't 4 every1 as long as tommy is happy thats all theat matters
    xxx
  • Yeah its the same for us apart from Evan goes to bed at 9pm any earlier and he wont sleep but he is waking in the night anyway at the mo as teething but no in the day he also sleeps and eats when he wants

• Thank you so much for that!

I was beginning think maybe I should be a bit stricter and start being more "routined" but it really suits all of us being like this! If Tommy was unsettled then it would be different but he really is contented!

• Thats all that matters and if you try and force him into one then he may go the other way and get unsettled, so just go with what is best for you and him

• just started doing some kind of routine. i start and get siena ready for bed about 6ish, i let her have a kick with no nappy on, then dress er n give her a bottle and put her in her cot for 6.30-7, dream feed her at 10.30 then she will wake for a feed ranging from 2-4.30! and wake up around 6.30/7ish. bur she has a stomach infection (we both have) so she is really upset alot during the day and nites hope it goes really soon thou. but have started this routine around my older daughter not that stricked with it but startin 2 put her in he cot whilst she is awake, a mistake i did with my other daughter and she didnt sleep throu til 8mths!!! so fingers crossed hehe!! x
  • Hi Lee we are the same, have sort of a routine but its hard to stick to it with a baby especially when out and about. Only bit we do stick to is bedtime routine, which is a bath with me about 7.30 then a bottle between 8.30 and 9 then he goes to sleep about 9.30 normally and sleeps right through till 7am. Lol as I am typing this Pete is having trouble getting him to settle!!! xxx
  • Hi, Sophie is defo not in any sort of routine throughout the day. Sometime she will feed everyone two hours and sometimes every four, she naps wen she wants and plays wen she wants, but she has started getting herself into a routine at night wen she'll have her last feed at around 8.30pm and then she'll go dwn til anywhere between 5am-6am. God knows how she got into this routine coz like u we just take each day as it comes and basically give her what she wants and needs, when she wants and needs it.

I think this is mostly coz iv got a toddler to look after as well so iv found it alot harder to get Sophie into a routine coz things are always changing and shifting when i need to sort Rhys out as well. Shes a good baby tho and at this age i dnt see any problem with not having a strict routine if it suits u both. xxx
  • iv always been pretty laid back but am trying to get in a routine as J starts nursery in Jan so i wanna get things in place. I think if Tommy is really contented then why risk changing that?? Ur a great mum - dont stress!!

Elaine and boys xx
  • Routines?????
    Could never get to grips with them. First it was because me and hubby worked different shifts so their routine was dictated by my brilliant friend and childminder. Now the only routine is dinner on the table at 6 and if I get four out of eight sitting down to eat I think its great!! and nos 4,5 & 6 up to bed at 8pm and hopefully asleep by 9/9-30ish. The three eldest nos 1, 2, 3 sort themselves out and the two youngest aged 2yrs and 4mths are my little stars, the sleep from about 10pm until 7am [I knew I would eventually get a good sleeper and saved the best to last!!]
    Each to their own, whatever works for you and the wee one.
    Breige
  • Hi Lee, we kind of fell into a feeding routine, but cam sleeps when he needs. he does always have a nap 2 hours after he gets up but thats just cos he's always tired by then.
    i wouldnt worry because routines are a new thing, my mum was certainly never told to get us into a routine! My neice was in a strict routine and it was hell for her parents, she would scream if she wasnt in her own house by 6pm cos that was bath time and she knew it! i couldnt cope like that.
    how can you be in a strcit routine when you do different things every day??
    xx
  • Hi hon

We have no routine at all during the day - sleeps and feeds randomly. The only thing we do religously (cos I want my evenings to myself thank you very much!) is bath and bed by 7-7.30pm. 4 yr old is also in bed by 7.30 now he's at school.

I tried to force Reiss into a routine and he wasnt having any of it. I got so stressed out I've gone back to my slack old self!xx
  • hi lee
    was starting to worry it was just me not having routines.
    libby feeds as and when she wants in day, been getting quite worried coz sometimes it's every hour n half, i offer both breasts but sometimes she just wants to snack so not much i can do about that.

she usually does have a nap hour n half - 2 hours after each time she wakes as she's really active now but she'll only sleep for 40 mins ish.

and other than that we try to get her to bed between 9-10 ish after a bath around 8-8.30.

like everyone says if tommy is content and you are happy with working round him then i wouldn't change anything either.

em x