Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in June 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

WHEN TO INTRODUCE LUMPIER FOOD AND FINGER FOOD?

Hi ladies...

Zac was 6 months old on Boxing day (started weaning him at 5mths) and he is now on three meals a day - I have recently introdced weetabix for breakfast and meat/fish to his main meals and so far so good.... just womndered when do you start to make it lumpier and when do you offer finger food???

And what can be offered as finger food... I don't want to give him anything that will make him choke...

Amy xxx

Replies

• Hey babe Ashton was 6 months on Xmas day and is now on finger food, some days he loves it others he hates it! All you can do is try some and see how it goes. Ashton also now has some lumpier food, I mash his veg instead of pureeing it and he seems to manage fine apart from when he is tired and then I think its just laziness! xxxxx
  • Gabe doesnt eat lumps anymore, he's 8 months tomorrow. He is perfectly capable of eating lumps (he chews it nicely and doesn't gag or spit it out!) BUT he is too damn lazy so after a few spoonfulls he arches his back and clamps his mouth :x very frustrating. But I try to go at his pace.

He's been on finger foods since 6 months though and loves them...go figure :\? He likes crusts of bread, rusks, toast, organix sticks, chunks of chicken...I tried him with broccoli (cooked) and carrot but he wasnt keen. he loves mini sausage rolls too lol. Banana is meant to be good but Gabe just mushed it up. hTH xx
  • Reiss has finger foods, but like Gabe, doesn't do lumpy food - confused? I am!

I give him bits to munch on like brocolli, toast, bread spread with Philadelphia etc and my best find yet - Organix rusks. They're soft and a better size than normal ones and as they're flavoured with grape juice, don't have any added sugar at all. I've also got the Organix carrot sticks and corn rings which he likes. Again, no rubbish in them so I don't feel bad letting him have these snacky things.xx
  • Zacky is 28weeks and I asked HV about introducing finger foods when I saw her on Tuesday. Wish I hadnt have bothered. Ended up being told that he should be on lumpy food now as well, well I tried hima couple of weeks ago and he didnt like it yet. As for finger food she said to start him on rich tea biscuits???? He prefers malted milk anyway thanks to his aunt and uncle. He will happily chomp on a crush of bread and suck pizza to death as well. He has also had spaghetti bol that his cousin decided that she didnt want. Then again I only ask HV questions like this to test that water AFTER I have started doing the things I ask about anyway. SHe said that by 7 months all children should be on stage 2 jars or lumpier food and finger food. Cant even get Zacky up to 3 meals a day yet as every cold he gets he refuses solids and the we have to start from scrath again, but he gets there, LOL.

As for LO's having finger foods but not liking lumpier foods my cousins LO was exactly the same until she was nearly 12 months old. Like everyone says follow your LO's pace and you cant go too far wrong IMO.
  • i agree!

Tyler has Toast crust, rusks, bread sticks, grilled or steamed carrot strips but is not keen on lumpy food either.

xx
  • gave Braedon a rusk to suck on the other day and he loved it until it started to crumble and bits broke off in his mouth...he looked dumbfouned and i paniced and fished the bits out, scared he would choke on them! xx
  • i will prob start lumpy food in another couple of weeks coz if Tyler feels a lump the whooooooole damn lot comes bk up!! He munches on rusks tho and toast crusts Im gonna start him on proper finger food soon tho ei. broccolli florret, carrot batton ect.