Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010

Finger Foods chocking and panicking???

Hey, not been on for a bit and everything has changed???

slightly confused...............anyway

What sort of stage are your lo at with finger foods?

Freddie never had purees i started him with well mashed up instead and he has had a rusk to suck and very small bits of toast which i have torn off and given him straight in his mouth he has been fine with all of these. so i though t i would try some finger foods but i am so panicky he gags a lot which i think i mistake for choking but he does have a wee cough so ends up coughing and spluttering everywhere, but he gets upset if i take the food away, all the while my heart is pounding, did not think i would be so panicky as i teach first aid for the red cross but i am terrible and worried i am going to pass my fears on to freddie.

any advice? where are you all at with it?

thanks in advance.x

Replies

• A babys gag reflux is much further forward so he'll gag before he actually chokes, unless its a very small piece or food (ie peas, whole grapes not the best). Still a little bit disconserting, especially when they cough. TBH I find Alex will gag and gag until the offending food comes out. He's had bananna, toast, veggies (roasted or steamed), houmous and pitta, homemade meatballs, and an omelette so far. I actually prefer finger foods to purees so I'm sticking with it and just trying to enjoy watching him learn how to pick up food, find his mouth and learn to chew - while trying not to panic that hes going to choke!
  • Hi Huni, the gagging comes before choking, babies have sensitive gag reflexes, some more so than others... George never choked to begin with, but for some reason he has started gagging a lot more, and did choke the other night (nothing major and he acutally claeared it himelf before Id managed to unclip his straps) but I think its put him off x

Good luck hun x
  • We've tried veg sticks, bread, pasta, cheese, ricecakes, fruit, oat cakes, quorn fillets etc.

Gagging has occurred but she clears the food alone as most do, you have to give them time to do it because they have to learn....its the only way.

Stay calm observe but don't jump on him and take his food, let him learn image

• Just wanted to say thank you for the advice, we are now doing really well with finger foods and i just leave him too it and watch him carefully, i dont interfere and he is doing great, so thanks for the advice.