Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advice needed please

Hi everyone,

I really could do with some advice. For the last couple of weeks Olly has been off and on with his teething but since it haas settled down I have realised that he gets really unsettled after his morning nap. To give a bit of background he has always been really fussy with his bottles. He would never entertain a 10pm dream feed and at 12 weeks (breast fed until 8 weeks) had to put him onto a fast flow teat as he started to point blank refuse bottles. When he was little it would take me up to an hour to get a 4oz bottle down him. I had to wean him at 19 weeks because he again started to refuse bottles. Now have realised that between 9-11am he is really grumoy, clingy and can't seem to read what it is thats bothering him. I do think that he is hungry but refuses a bottle when I try him. This is his routine:

Usually wakes between 6-6.30 but I leave him to play in his cot until 7am.

7.15am - Bottle (5-6oz) and breakfast (baby cereal or weetabix)

8.30am - nap (between 30mins and 1 hour)

9-9.30am - awake but restless.

10.30am - try him with a bottle. takes 1-2oz and cries through it.

11am - dinner (main and pud. Do offer finger foods)

11.30-12pm - nap (about 1-11/2 hours)

2.30pm - bottle (6-7oz)

4ish - nap

4.30-5pm - tea (main and pud. Do offer finger foods)

6pm - bath

6.30 - bottle (6-7oz)

7pm - bed

Bascially he is really ratty until I give him his dinner and then he seems to calm down. Once he wakes from his nap he's a happy boy again. I'm totally confused as to what he wants. I dread this time of day. I have spoken to my HV and I have some good night milk but waiting for a thick flow teat to be delivered. Tried him with his fast flow teat but it took him an hour to take 4oz and then got so tired he couldn't take anymore. I'm hopng by giving him the good night milk it will help him to sleep abit longer at night which (fingers crossed) will mean he is more alert in the mornings for his meals.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I could try bewenn 9 and 11am? I have thought that tomorrow I might try him with a bottle as soon as he wakes up (9-9.30am) becasue I do think he is too hungry at 11am for him to enjoy his meal and refuses a bottle that I try to give him around 10.30am). The first 5 mins of his dinner are usaully him crying and then he enjoys every mouthful once he has had few spoonfuls to take the edge off his hunger.

Sorry for the ramble but mealtimes have always been stressful and I just want him to be content but feel I'm not understanding him at the moment :?

Thanks for any replies x

Replies

• my gosh i could have written the top of your post myself! Only difference is i managed to hold off weaning till a bit longer but Emily has dropped 2 centiles since birth.

Im sorry i cant give you any advice hun as i am in a VERY similar position hun but i will be following your replies with interest. Big hugs xx
  • Hi

Maybe you could offer a snack instead of milk at 10amish?

An organix biscuit, organix snacks, rice cake, rusk, soft fruit?

Freya is often hungry (well peckish but not starving!) about an hour or so before meals but not keen on milk so doesn't want a bottle but will happily eat a snack

Worth a try maybe xxx
  • thats a good idea. If he dosnt like his 10.30am bottle it might be worth dropping it and giving a snack. Might try that with Emily too. she has a bottle around 11 and fusses all the way through.
  • When you feed him at 7am is he crying to get up or are you just getting him up?

Looking at your routine he doesn't seem to be getting much quality sleep, its all little bits and if he's tired he may refuse food.

If you can leave him in bed longer in the morning, then give him his milk and breakfasts then let it settle have a play etc then pop him for a nap at about half 10 ish - let him sleep when he wakes give him milk and a light lunch then play then at about 5pm tea, bath then bed for 6:30pm/7pm.

This is what I would try. Let meal times be a relaxed time and nap times dark and quiet like bedtime.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks for all your replies ladies.

When he wakes in a morning he doesn't cry and will play happily in his cot. I never get him out of his cot until 7am in hope he will go back to sleep but he rarely does. He always enjoys his breakfast and I never have problems giving him his bottle (I still give him his bottle 1st to ensure he gets a good milk feed in). I did forget to put in the routine that he does have 3rd nap around 3.30-4ish and can be up to an hour. I can never keep him up later in a morning because he wakes so early. I'm hoping the good night milk will help him sleep for longer and then his morning nap will not be until 9.30am which then means he'll be all refreshed ready for his dinner. I do think that alot of this is to do with him getting tired around his dinner. I don't want to get into the routine though of giving him an early morning bottle when he initally wakes and then putting him back down for a sleep.

Today I have got up early so he has had his breakfast at 7am. He woke at 6am this morning. I'll try him with a bottle when he wakes from his nap and if he refuses it then I'm going to try him with a yoghurt.

Juniemummy - How wierd that our LO are the same!! Is Emily an early riser too? Olly will only do an 11 hour night.
  • yes she is!! anything from 5am really, lateset 6am. She dosnt have a good routine like Olly though. She has always been fussy with feeding which has made nap routines etc almost impossible. Shes been pretty content though, until recently where she has started waking 1/2 times in the night and i think this is down to teething.

good luck with the milk/yoghurt feed later. Has your thick flow teat come yet?

xx
  • replied in baby hun xx
  • Juniemummy - No sign of the thick flow teats as yet but I'll let you know how I get on with them. Emily sounds just like Olly, he wakes anytime really between 5 - 6am. I can't wait to try this goodnight milk as I do think if he sleeps in alittle longer it will help his daytime naps.

Yesterday really was a good day!! He still fussed with his bottle after his nap but I gave him some organix crispy things as a snack. We were out Christmas pressie deliverying so he has a 10min nap in the car and then when we got home he had his dinner and then down for his afternnoon sleep going up to 1pm. He then slept for 2 hours and was a dream when he woke. Today though he is terrible. He has refused his lunch too today but I do think today is down to teething. He has only sleot for short spells and has only really mananged to stay awake for an hour and half before needing to be put back. I really hope these teeth cut through soon x
  • them bloomin teeth have a lot to answer for! Im gonna try an amber anklet, Im a bit sceptical but anythings worth a try i suppose. I hope tomorrows a better day for you both. xx
  • I replied in Baby hon xx
  • I have updated how things have gone today in Baby but just to let you know today has gone brilliantly!! wooohoooo...!!!

Know I probably shouldn't get too excited but I just relieved that with all your help I think we have found the problem image
  • just read your update on baby, really glad you've had a good morning. Fab news. xxxxxx