Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

So upset-Sophie loast 7ozs this week

Hi everyone, not been on for months so I'm sorry.

Well, got Sophie weighed on Tuesday and she lost 7ozs. I was so upset and cried.

She isnt taking alot of milk anymore-about 28/30 ozs a day and she will not take any solids (she was 6 months on 20th).

I have been trying to wean her for nearly 3 weeks because I wanted her to enjoy xmas dinner but she will not swallow anything. She just plays about with the food in her mouth then spits it out with her tounge. I have tried savoury food, sweet food, pureed food, food with lumps, finger foods but nothing. I am so upset that she has lost weight and wont eat anything.

Has anyone got any advice or has a baby that just wont eat. I am pulling my hair out.

Also, I read somewhere that babies at 6 months dont realise that eating food fills them up and is just doing it as they are experimenting and that follow on milk is still enough for them until 8 months.

PLEASE HELP US

Replies

• Meant to say lost image
  • Awww hun Im so sorry I dunno what to suggest... I just didnt wanna read and run...

Have u tried just putting the foods out and leaving her to it... just sit but not help sort of thing, see what she does?

What sort of things have u tried with purees? Have u tried toast etc?

I hope u find something that works for her soon... did HV have any advice?

Mand x
  • Didn't wamt to R&R hun...just wanted to say don't worry too much as I was the same as a baby (in fact I wouldn't eat anything with lumps in, including ANY finger food, until I was 3 years old...yes really!!)

Just a thought - have you tried letting her hold the spoon? Poppy did this for a while until my mum suggested it. She wanted to feed herself!

Otherwise, maybe try mixing some of her usual milk with food? I still do that with new foods as it makes it a little more 'familiar'.

Hope this helps hun xxx
  • Hi hun, sorry but don't think I can be much help. The only thing I could suggest is have you tried sitting her on your lap while you are eating something you could share with her (eg a banana). That's how I first realised my Sophie was interested in food. She sat watching me so I put it to her lips and she gave it a little lick. She pulled a funny face but gradually started coming back for more. Now she's reaching out for anything and everything, lol.

Also, have you tried making almost milk like consistency baby rice? That's all I used for the first week when I started weaning. It must be so frustrating for you. Hopefully your HV can make a few suggestions but maybe some babies just develop an interest a little later (in the same way that some want their food earlier) x
  • have you tried putting it on your finger then letting her lick it off - h as becoming fussy but will eat food off my fingers !! God bless him xx
  • I'm the same as everyone else I'm afraid not a lot to suggest.

Have you tried mushed rusks? Just as a milk thickening to start but spoon fed or just let her play with it so she can feel it and see what it is. I think babies like (and need) to play with food to help understand its texture, smell then taste.

Don't worry...make feed times calm and fun if you stress she will stress. She will eat in good time. Just concentrate on exploring for now not actually swallowing.