Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

6 month routines

Hi everyone,

From my update you can see the Olly has been unsettled and his routine has gone out of the window so I was jsut wondereing what your eat, sleep routines are and when you find it easiest to get out and about.

Cheers

Glimmer x

Replies

• Hi Glimmer,

Evie is 6 and a half months old now and our (rough) routine is as follows:

8.30am - 7oz bottle

9.30am - breakfast (normally porridge or weetabix with fruit puree)

10.00am - 11.30am - nap

12.00pm - lunch (normally chicken with veg but am going to try pasta and fish this week - not together!)plus yogurt

2.30pm - 7oz bottle

3.00pm - 4.30pm - nap

5.00pm - tea (at the moment this is just a simple fruit puree or rice pudding but am going to up the portion size soon)

6.30pm - bath

7.00pm - 7oz bottle

7.30pm - bed time, normally asleep by 8

As you can see there's really not much time for getting out and about and until the last week I was really struggling to understand how I would manage it (and how others do!). However I've adjusted my routine slightly so that I now make sure I get up and showered before she wakes, and do all the sterilising on an evening rather than a morning. That has freed me up somewhat.

My best time to go out would be either after her lunch at about 12.30pm, and taking a bottle with me would mean I could be out most of the afternoon. Or if I have to be somewhere in the morning I would get her dressed before we go downstairs, and then go straight out after her breakfast.

I still really struggle to understand how anybody gets to a morning class though - if we were to actually make one Evie would just be asleep anyway!!

Interested to see what everyone else does...
  • William is 7 months at the weekend and our routine goes something like this:

7am - 7oz bottle (drinks about 4-6oz)

8am - breakfast (porridge, cereal or weetabix with about 2ozs of left over milk)

9am - nap (anywhere between 30mins - 1.5hrs)

May have another 30min nap between about 10.30-11am is only had short nap earlier)

11am - 5oz bottle (drinks about 2-4ozs)

12pm - Lunch and water offered

1pm - nap (again anywhere between 30mins - 1.5hrs, sometimes have to wake him up if has more than 2hrs - is VERY rare this happens!!)

3pm - 5oz bottle (drinks about 2-4ozs)

4.30pm - short nap (30mins)

5.15pm - Tea and water offered

6.30pm - bath if bath night

7pm - 7oz bottle (drinks about 5-6ozs)

7.30pm - in bed by, maybe earlier depending on how quickly has taken bottle and if needed changing again afterwards

7.40pm - usually asleep by.

Hope this helps. We've only been doing this routine since the 1st January as the old one just didn't work with what William wanted to do!

I find the easiest times to go out are in the afternoon (particulary after the 3pm bottle and before tea at 5.15pm as he'll have his short nap in the buggy, where as he won't have the longer ones there)

• Yellowelephants - When did yoour LO go to 2 naps? Was it an easy transtion? Think Olly is trying this but I'm struggling to figure when best to put him down. I'm with you though going to 2 naps a day and with the feeding routine makes it very difficult to go out and do anything! Yesterday we went out at 1pm after his dinner and came home for 3. I offered him a nap before we went out but he wouldn't settle. At 3pm he had 1 1/2 sleep.

Squirtuk - Olly is very much like Willam in that he will wake early from his morning nap sometimes and then I will need to out him down again shortly after. I'm trying to get him to sleep longer but I think it will come with age as he has always self settled since about 12weeks old.
  • Hi Glimmer,

I don't remember when Evie started going from 3 naps to 2 naps a day, it's definitely been in the last 3 weeks or so. Anyhow it wasn't a deliberate effort by me, she suddenly started napping for longer both during the morning and afternoon which meant she now doesn't need the cat nap later on.

Occasionally though, if she hasn't slept for at least an hour and a half at both the morning and afternoon naps, she will need a quick nap just before bathtime, otherwise she just can't make it til bedtime. I don't like it when that happens as bedtime ends up being a lot later and she's harder to settle!!
  • Emma was six months on the 30th of December and we have just started weaning properly for past two weeks our new routine is:

7.30/8.00 8oz bottle but normally has about 6oz

8.30/9.00 Breakfast and use up left over milk (normally wheetabix or porridge)

12.00 Lunch - Normally vegetable puree and either a yoghurt or fruit puree

(If she hasnt had a morning nap as she seems to have stopped them now she will have a nap now)

2.00/3.00 8oz bottle

6.00 Dinner - Vegetable puree and whatever pudding she didnt have for lunch

7.00/7.30 Bath and bottle

8.00 Asleep image

She'll either have to medium naps before and after her afternoon bottle or one big nap, i find it easier to go out in the afternoon and take her bottle with me or depending on where i am going i have gone out and given her lunch as well

x
  • Phoebe's rough routine is

8-9 bottle

9.30 breakfast

11.00 nap

12.00 bottle

2.00 nap

4.00 tea

6.30 bottle

7.00 bed

She always has one of her naps at home so she gets a decent sleep but the other I will let her have in the pushchair so we can get out to groups and run errands and things
  • Our routine is very similar to cathsummers' - but I've had to try this week to get her down to one breastfeed during the day (plus first and last thing) - she also wakes at 10.30pm-ish for a feed and doesn't seem willing to drop that one, so I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and try again. She's loving her food though, she seems to eat loads.

I have a 2.5 year old too, so our going out is more worked around him - he gets cabin fever if we stay in and naps after lunch (which he won't do 'out' any more) so we try to go out every morning - usually out by 9.30 but it is a military operation!

Dd has been refusing a morning map a few times over the last couple of weeks - ds didn't drop his morning nap til he was 1!
  • Ours is:

8am wake up and breastfeed

Between 9am -10am get dressed and have breakfast

Between 11am - 12pm breastfeed

Between 12pm - 1pm lunch

From 12:30pm - 5pm nap (roughly 3 hours)

5pm breastfeed

5:30pm tea

Between 6pm - 7pm bed

We just go out anytime, she'll sleep in her car seat or pushchair.