Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010

sooooo tired

hi ladies.

Pls someone tell me where i am going wrong?!?

Emily is 7 months in a couple of days and i can count on one hand the number of times shes slept through. Its really wearing me down, esp as i still get up with her brother who is 2 1/2. He wakes up once but she never wakes at the same time (they are in the same room) She goes down at about 7.30 and wakes at 11pm, 2am and we are up from 5am. She has 2 solid meals a day and snacks in between. Shes never been a big milk drinker, she takes 3 x 7oz ff per day. The only thing that gets her bk off at night is milk but she'll only have a couple of oz and goes bk to sleep. She obviously dosnt need it. help!!!!

Replies

• aww junie its terrible isn't it. Dylan has never slept through either. The longest he has slept is until 4am, that was weeks ago. We have got rid of the night feeds but he still constantly wakes up. Have you tired giving her cooled boiled water when she wakes up. After a while is prob won't think its worth waking up lol. These babys are naughty ha xxxx
  • Think I might give the water a go. Sorry to hear Dylan has you up too. I just dread the broken sleep every night. DS3 who is 2 and a half still gets up at 3 o'clock for a grizzle and i have to lay next to his cotbed till he goes back to sleep. I still havnt taken the side off because i know it'll make him worse and he'll be in bed with me every night! DS2 didnt sleep through till he was 3 either but that was mostly medical problems waking him. DS1 slept through from 8 weeks. Im so shattered most of the time. Its starting to get me down a bit. Oh well. Im sure we'll crack it!
  • Hi Junie,

I can't really help I'm afraid as I'm in the same boat, I think my LO has slept through more times than your LO, but most nights I have to go into her room 2 or 3 times to put the dummy back in when she wakes and for the last 2 nights she has woken at 5am. Eventually I've got her back to sleep til about 8.30am, so I know it's not hunger waking her, she's just naturally stirring but now she's coming to rely on the dummy :roll:

The only hint I could offer (having read the Baby Whisperer book) is to try and stop feeding her when she wakes, as like you say she obviously doesn't need it with only taking 2oz, but she's now come to rely on that for getting her back to sleep, it's like a sleep tool, she can't get back without it. The same thing might poss happen with the water too, so I would caution against that.

Easier said than done I know, the dummy is now my LO's sleep prop. I think we've taken a wrong turn in the past by rushing in immediately when she stirs (for fear of her fully waking herself up) but now when she stirs she expects us to come in and help her get back to sleep. Sometimes she can get herself back, but more often than not I go in....

Must be harder for you though with having the boys to look after as well. xxxx
  • I have replied in baby but just to say I would try giving her water to start with. I'm starting to look at how much Olly sleeps during the day to see if that helps. I'll let you knwo how I gwet on if you think it will help? xx
  • I cant help either image Just when we cracked the sleeping and got him sleeping through we started weaning and its all gone pear-shaped since :roll: Its not for food, or too hot/cold or soaking wet nappy. If he wakes he gets a rub on the back, or a quick cuddle and try and settle him, or when I'm exhausted we both go onto the guest bed and I have him next to me.

It does sound like she doesnt need the milk - so you could try water liek yellowelephants suggests or less milk each night. Or if that doesnt work wake-to-sleep - wake her an hour before her usual wake times (babywhisperer again) in an effort to disrupt the habit

Good luck
  • sorry Junie, no advice but you have my sympathy. Rebecca has her moments but at least it's not every night - getting her to sleep in the first place though can be a challenge most nights xx
  • thankyou so much for your support ladies. Yesterday she changed her naps by herself. She had an extra one in the afternoon, maybe because she was up at just before 5am which meant she went down later (9.40pm) I gave her a dreamfeed at 11pm and she slept through till 7am !!!!!!!

Only thing is now shes slept till 7, will she have that nap and go down later? I dont think she will. Plus im not too keen on bedtime being that late. Hope we find a happy in between. image
  • Thats fantastic!! Bet you feel great after a better night sleep.

Can you believe but Olly slept until 7.30am this morning too!! I did hear him at 6am but he went back off to sleep shortly afterwards. I put him down for a nap at 9.30am and he did cry for 5 mins and has just woken now, so he's had nearly an hour and half!! I think I'm going to carry on with just 2 naps and I'm hoping this new routine will mean he'll continue to do a 7-7 image
  • its driving me nuts! She went down at 9.20 last night, woke up at just after 12 then 1 then 2.40ish and slept till 8.30am. I just dont get it.

Im gonna have a good look at our days and see what we can change around that still fits with the boys.
  • hi hunny hugs

I dont think your doing anything wrong I just think some babies sleep less than others.

anyway Calebs never been the best sleeper either and I took to tough love a few weeks back. It was bloody sould destroying as he cried for 2 hours solid the first night. I kept going in and stroking his face and letting him know I was there but only every 10-15 mins. It took about a week or so for it to click but now he wakes up and if its before 6am I let him cry and its usually only 5 mins and hes sleeping again. guess he just needed to learn how to self setlle. Its bloody heart breaking though but Im glad I persevered xxx
  • Hi Juniemummy,

Just wondered how things were going? Fingers crossed since we changed our routine to 2 naps in the day Olly hasn't woken before 7am, sometimes not till nearly 8am!!

Glimmer x
  • thats fantastic, fingers crossed Olly keeps up the good work! xx

Yesterday I managed to get 3 meals into her and she fell asleep at 9pm, I gave a dreamfeed Last night at 11pm and she slept til 6.50pm She had 3 naps yesterday.

this has been her routine so far today

6.50am - awake

7.15am - 6oz formula

7.40am - asleep

8.30am - awake

9.10am - 1 weetabix with cows milk + 3rd of an apple & black current pureed pouch mixed in. Ate half it.

11am - 4oz formula

11.20 - asleep12.45 - awake

1pm - offered food but she was really whingy so didnt take any.

2pm - 1/2 mashed banana and the rest of the apple & blackcurrent pouch. She had about 4 spoonfuls. Think maybe its a mixture of teething and not being keen on apple & blackcurrent. Given 2 rice cakes for her to chew on instead.

3.30pm - asleep4.30 - awake

5.10pm - Beef dinner, large portion

6.30pm - 5oz formula

7pm - asleep.

so shes on her 3rd nap already today and i think she'll have another before 9pm or maybe bring her bedtime forward earlier which makes me think she'll night wake again???

I just cant seem to manipulate her days into a routine like i did with the boys. She does what she wants, when she wants, nothing i do sways her.

Her gums are really white and swollen today so maybe we will have a tooth soon?

*edited to add to the 'routine'**

• Good that she slept until 6.50am. I hope it is her teeth. As soon as Olly's came through he has been so much better. Today he has been at his grandmas and his routine has totally gone out of the window. She didn't put him down for his morning nap, so is asleep now and refused his bottle this afternoon because he was so tired. Thinkng he might wake early now because he has only had 5oz of milk today. Don't know what to do now. Will wake him at 5pm for his tea but should I try him with a bottle first? Don't then want him to refuse his bedtime feed at 7pm.

• Even before I got to the end of your post I was going to say it could be teething - I don't know what her eating is normally like, but she seems to've left a fair bit of what you've offered her today, which happens to both of mine when teething.

I keep hearing from people that girls are more wilful than boys and know their own mind a lot earlier! I'm sure my dd is in less of a routine than ds was at this age.

Hope she sleeps well again tonight.
  • oh i hate that! OHs mum had her at the weekend and she was sooooo overtired. It was like she had not slept at all. I dont usually let anyone have my lil ones and OH thinks im paranoid but thats one of the reasons why. What did you do in the end? i hope he goes down ok.

Emily is asleep now :roll: and i know if she was left in bed she'd sleep till about 9pm then be wide awake. I think i'll wake her at about 7.30 then hopefully she'll go down at 9 and i can do a dreamfeed at 11pm and fingers crossed have a night like last night.
  • sunflower i really think that has alot to do with it. Shes refused alot today. even her milk feeds have gone from 3 full 7oz bottles down to dribs and drabs again.

6.50am - awake

7.15am - 6oz formula

7.40am - asleep

8.30am - awake

9.10am - 1 weetabix with cows milk + 3rd of an apple & black current pureed pouch mixed in. Ate half it.

11am - 4oz formula

11.20 - asleep12.45 - awake

1pm - offered food but she was really whingy so didnt take any.

2pm - 1/2 mashed banana and the rest of the apple & blackcurrent pouch. She had about 4 spoonfuls. Think maybe its a mixture of teething and not being keen on apple & blackcurrent. Given 2 rice cakes for her to chew on instead.

3.30pm - asleep4.30 - awake

5.10pm - Beef dinner, large portion

6.30pm - 5oz formula

7pm - asleep.

there is a big gap in the afternoon where she didnt have much food/milk at all!

those teeth have alot to answer for!!!! she is deffo alot more willful than the boys. With them i could kind of 'mould' them into a routine but shes having none of it.
  • hope you've had a better night tonight. Just wanted to say that Rebeccca's been the same with her meals and sleeps. She was taking 3 solid meals a few weeks ago then she caught a cold and has been refusing meals most days and only drinks half of some bottles. Some days she get's so worked up you can't even get her to sit in her highchair, she just shuts her lips and turns her face away.

It can take a good few hours to get her to settle most nights (we've never really settled into a bedtime routine though) and she's started waking and crying earlier at about 5/6am where she used to sleep until 7.30/8am and just lie there chatting to herself until you picked her up. She's not crying for food either, she just wants a cuddle. She's got no teeth yet either so definitely think they could be on their way - I hope so anyway!

ooh and don't get me started on daytime naps she seems to have dropped to 1 x 40 minute nap if you're lucky x
  • Morning Juniemummy,

How did your night go??

Olly was terrible yesterday evening. I had to wake him at 5pm for his tea which he took ok but after that all he did was groan and cry if I left him. I decided not to give him his bottle until bedtime and then at least I would be certain he would take a good feed. I was right and he took 9oz and slept till 6am, feel back asleep about 6.45 and then finally woke at 8am when his dad slammed the door shut on his way to work...arghh lol!!

Olly's grandma is having him every Monday now so I can try and get into some routine and get him used to not being with me before I return to work on the 4th April. I'm going to be working 3 days a week and starting work at 8AM!!! I haven't a clue how I'm going to get myself and him ready, drop dad off at the train station, drop him off at nursery and be sat at my desk for 8am. Think thats certainly going to a thread from me in future. Just how do people manange to get ot work on time lol!!

Let us know how things went last night. Suprisingly Olly is having a morning sleep now which yeaterday his grandma was certain he does not need anymore and thinks I should stop worrying about how much milk he has!!! Arghhh!!!

Glimmer x
  • oh dear, its horrid when they get so grouchy isnt it? You deffo did the right thing then if he took 9oz and slept all night! What a clever boy Olly!

You know what hun, you will manage, you just kinda do it! I have to get Myself & 4 kids ready and out of the door by 8.30 evry morning and we manage it. Your mummy head kicks in (and it helps to do as much as you can the night before)

You gotta laugh at Grandmas (or you will probably strangle them) they always think they know whats best! Just think, that may be us one day, lol.

Last night Emily went from 9.30 till 4.40 then i offered water which she was not amused with, lol, and her dummy which we have nearly got rid of and eventually she dropped back off till 6.30. The night before was very similar (even though she'd had 4 naps) going from 9pm til about 4am then back off till 7am. So i do think we are getting somewhere. I think if I have 65/6 hours sleep i feel more human so i am very happy with that. I think adding the extra meal has helped.
  • forgot to add a big THANKYOU for all your help and support hun and to all the ladies that psted advice here. It means alot to have someone that understands and makes you feel half sane when you feel like you are cracking up! lol.