Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

sitting up??

all my boys were 5/6 months when they could sit unaided. Emily is 7 months and still quite off balance. Can your Junie sit up yet? xx

Replies

• Hiya hun.

Harry was really unstable for ages but then all of a sudden he just sat there still as can be. He now sits unaided for a long period of time and has in the last few weeks started to bum shuffle. He's made it all the way across our living room today with some coaxing from his big brother!!

She'll get the hang of it soon.

XX
  • Dd is just 6 months (27 weeks) and will sit for very short periods, but is still very unstable. I don't really give her much opportunity to practice though as I'm running round after ds too (as I'm sure you are - not a criticism, just a fact of life!) - I tend to lie her on the floor and she has the freedom to roll and drag herself about! If she's sitting on my knee I don't have to support her at all (although obviously my hands are there just in case!). I know she's strong enough to do it though

I think ds was about 6 months when he started sitting unaided
  • hiya freya has been sitting up confidently for about a month now ( she was 7 months on Tuesday). She has always been really interested in sitting up tho and used to sit in my lap with support and play with her toys before she could do it by herself. However she still hates being on her tummy ( if I put her on her tummy she moans a lot and then rolls over!) so im not sure she is going to crawl. I got realy worried about the tummy time thing for a while when I saw other babies her age starting to rock on all fours and do breakdancing swivels. But I figure she is concentrting on learning other things! Dont worry about it, they all develop differently and at different times!
  • thanks ladies. Aw bless Freya sounds so cute.

Sunflower I think that may be alot to do with it. I feel a bit guilty and when the boys are in bed we practice lol. Another thing is because she is so good on her tummy and army crawls pretty fast now - thats where she likes to be. lol.

MissyMoo - I think bum shuffling babies are sooooooo cute! lol.
  • Oliver wobbled for ages and the week before Christmas it clicked and now he is fine. I'd say she will be sitting unaided in no time at all. x
  • Caleb can sit up fine- he just chooses not too a lot of the time. IIf II sit him in his ball pool he happily plays away but try and sit him on the floor and he has a hissy fit as he wants to roll (or army crawl) - talk about a diva or what? Hes 8 months today xxx
  • Hi Junie, Rebecca's just over 7 months and she's only just started to sit up over the last few days. Her head and back are quite strong so I think it's more a case of she'd rather be rolling round chewing her toys!
  • Olly can sit unaided, until he lunches himself forward to get something lol! He doesn't really roll though. I think I could count on my hands the amount of times he has done it. I'm not worried though as he had never lasted long during tummy time until he gets upset. Suppose all babies are different x
  • Glimmer, Rebecca was exactly the same. Used to whinge when you put her on her tummy, then around 6 months she worked out how to roll over. She whinged the first few times but she loves it now.
  • Bella mastered it on christmas eve
  • Oooo....fingers crossed we'll have some army style rolls soon lol! x