Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010

introducing lumps

just wondered how people are going about this. i am starting to mash fruit and veg but wondered about meat. is mince ok to give without giving it a blitz 1st??

Replies

• hi,

me again lol....hope you dont mind?

you might be best to mash it up a little beofore cooking (rather than completely blitz it) and see how he gets on with it - i gave Megan bolognese with mince just as it is as shes had lumpy food from the beginning and she was ok with it she could take it and 'chew' it but it took ages lol as its not the easiest thing. As she wont take the spoon now i havent given her it again as it would be 2 hard for her to pick up but i made meatballs from fresh mince and cooked them and she ate them fine image)

Lx
  • I think mince is trial and error and depends on the baby - my son needed mince blitzed until he was about 10 months or he'd gag on it, although he was eating other lumps well before then! His friends were fine with mince though.
  • I've given Sophie some of my oh's cottage pie (made with beef mince) but made it into a puree. I'm a vege so am thinking of trying her on some of the vege mince not pureed first as it's not so tough to chew....have started to give her some soft boiled veg to nibble on and she loves it, although have to keep checking her mouth as she's like a little hampster and keeps storing it and storing it in her cheeks until they are full, lol x
  • I use Quorn mince as its nowhere near as chewy and a good source of protien. xx

Emily has been on lumps pretty much from start. We pureed for a while but she looked like she was drinking off the spoon and couldnt get it down quick enough so i tried her with lumps and she took to it.
  • Thanks ladies. I' m using up what I have left in the frezzer of stuff that is pureed and adding lumps in some meals. He has pasta no problem and all his food are textured and thick now rather than totally blitzed. He loves his finger foods although it does seem to take forever for him to chew and swallow lol. I will start tio just mash things soon but sice he has been ill we seem to have taken a step backwards. He was eating mashed pear and somemashed veg but is now refusing it. Fingers crossed when he's back to full health he'll be loving his food as before x
  • i hope so hun. Emily is not quite back to narmal yet but shes better than shes been the ast few weeks xx