Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

A week from hell

Hi everyone,

I have truly had the worst week of my whole life. Olly was really unsettled on Friday and we just put it down to teething. He had a terrible night and felt warm so i gave him calpol. Inthe morning he was eating and drinking ok so wan't too concerned and continued giving him regualr calpol and nurofen. We went put him down for nap but he was crying so we left him to cry for a few mins to see if he would settle. My OH went i to him as he didn't settle and foung him shaking!! We dialled 999. His temp was 38.6. We have been in hospital all weekend and was discharged on Monday. He was on IV antibiotics and iv fluids and was spiking temperaures of 40 +. We still do not know what it was he had but he was sp unwell, crying, no smiles at all. I stayed with him and got nil sleep. He's still on anitobotics now but is nearly back to the old Olly. He still isn;t really drinking much but as you know I have always had problems getting milk and juice in him.

I wondered how much juice others are having through the day. Olly now is having 2-3 bottles a day 3-4 0z and about 2oz of juice. I know its not enough so just wondering what others are having. Also he never seems intersted in holding his bottle or beaker. Anyone else findinig this? I really need to to encourage him to drink more.

Sorry for teh rushed message but he's little grumpy at the moment so need to see to him x

Replies

• Awww I hope olly gets well soon.

My dd doesn't drink much water, some days non she's still learning with holding a beaker. But she's bf so dunno how much milk she's having.

Hope your week improves.

Xx
  • Oh poor Olly, and how scary for you - hope he's on the mend now.

My dd is breastfed so don't know how much she has but she has three proper feeds a day (and a tiny feed in the evening but attempting to drop this one).

She doesn't have much water, maybe an oz or two - she'll pick the cup up but makes no attempt to drink it herself. I'm not concerned at this stage - my son was only drinking the same amount at this age, and when I asked the HV she said it was fine as long as he was having some. By 9 months I was filling 2 beakers a day for him, he did still need some hello to drink it but tbh I think that was laziness!

Is Olly having plenty of wet nappies still, and not constipated (so you know he's not getting dehydrated)? - I think drinking from a beaker comes with practice, just keep offering it to him throughout the day.
  • oh hun that must have been so scary image hpe Olly feels better soon!

Unfortunately my LO will rarely touch juice or water, even if I put it in a bottle instead of beaker, so I can't offer any advice on that one!! xxx
  • That sounds awful, you must have been so scared! I hope he's better soon.

I am just weaning Sophie off the boob so she is currently having two 6oz bottles through the night but all day feeds are still bfs.

She will drink anywhere between 2 and 5 oz of juice a day. Have you tried different flavours? I tried Sophie on a pear one first, which she barely touched. I now give her apple and blackcurrent, which I sometimes have to prise out of her hands, lol. She absolutely loves it and lays on her changing mat drinking it out of a TT cup with a bottle teet on. I usually offer after meals but should probably offer more as am sure she would take it x
  • Thanks, today he has onlu had 3oz of milk and about 70mls of juice. I gave him some cereal=with about 3oz of milk in it and he has also had a yoghurt. I feel so paranoid and anxious at the moment. I thought he had a temperature again but took it and it was 37.0. He became unwell this time last week and I think its that thats making me worry more. Hopefully he will have his bedtime bottle. If things don't improve by Monday I think I'll take him to the drs just to make sure everything is ok. I just need to try and calm down :roll:
  • hey hunny that sounds terrifying for you, hope olly makes a speedy recovery back to his old self. As for the juice situation, Caleb wouldnt take water or juice for anything up until 6 months. I had a bottle of water and let him take a sip from it and it went from there. I tried a cup but had no sucess so gave him it in a bottle and now he drinks 3-4 bottles a day (his nappys need changed constantly) We just started to re try the cup today hes 8 1/2 months, its not went that well but Im going to perservere xxx
  • oh god hun ((((big hugs)))) that must have so so scarey. Emily has about 3-4oz of water a day. I tend to water the occasional bottle down too (7oz water, 5oz formula) She has 4 7oz bottles a day.

Hope Olly is well on the way to recovery hun. xxxx
  • Today he seems more like his old self....yipeee!! But I have only managed to get 1, yes just 1, oz of milk in him!! I don't know if it is teething and have tried rubbing bonjela on before feeds with no help! He has had about 4-5oz of juice today though. I have tried to give him juice form a bottle in hope he'll take more but he just refuses the teat in this mouth! I'm confused as to what the problem is so will be phoning the health visitor first thing on Monday. In teh meantime if anyone else had any ideas then please feel free to post :?
  • we have similar issues with milk, bella wasn't well in december high temp no other symptoms just not herself and since then her milk intake has dropped even more. she has a bottle of between 2-4oz at 730am, an oz mid morning then between 1-4oz mid afternoon and same amount at 7pm. but she will drink about 4oz of water a day. i've resorted to syring feeding her at times or out of the lid of the bottle. i hope hes better soon xx
  • How long ago was your LO ill? Its awful seeing them so ill and feeling totally helpless. I have thought about letting him drink from a cup like a big boy and see if that helps. Today though we have started off quite well. He had 4 1/2 oz this morning and then out 3 oz in his cereal so fingers crossed we'll get a good amount in him today. He had a really wet nappy this morning so I'm not too concerned that he is dehydrated. x
  • she was out of sorts for about a week -2 weeks. glad he's doing better xx
  • glad hes more like his old self hun. xxxxxx
  • oh no how scary for you and poor olly.....glad he seems a bit more like his usual self now though!

did u phone your hv? as for milk Megan is variable with this the other day she took about 23oz which she hasnt did in a long time and past few days shes had 14-16oz topped up with water and yoghurts.

2day she hasd 3oz in cereal and only drank 2oz milk and then at lunch time 3oz so only 8oz so far today and will take between 5 and 8oz at bedtime but im not worried although they say the 18-20oz its a guide and main thing is olly growing and being happy and content in himself (which he obviously isnt going to be when he is ill and that often throws them off sometimes for a few weeks maybe longer but most babies go back to eating normally about a week or so after 'getting better) as long as you keep topping up with yoghurts and cheese etc. all water and juice (which has no nutrionally value really) will do is keep them hydrated. again we are hit and miss with the amount of water Megan will take (i dont give juice) 1-3oz at each meal. we have the tommiee tippee beaker (just the basic one hv gives free) and its quite heavy when full so i know alot of babies can struggle with it til 9/10months sometimes. Megan tries to hold it herself but usually needs me to 'prop' it up but she tries so im persevering but i also have a doidy cup (she thought that was more fun to throw water at me and choked with it as it came out too fast) just this week i have been trying her with a straw (which is meant to be better for giving juice in terms of their teeth) as its straight down their throat and she seems a bit unsure of this but its trying it so will also keep persevering with that - have you tried that? (the tt beaker has a wee cap to stop the water spilling and a space for a straw)

sorry really waffling now....good luck

Laura xx