Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Your routines - how to occupy LO/Wind down time

Just wondering what you all do to occupy your LOs? George loves kicking on changing mat but HATES his gym, swing and bouncy chair! I can't leave him to occupy himself as he just cries. He gets bored so easily that I'm really struggling.

Also, he has bottle every 3 hours, so after 5pm ish bottle (he has bath at 8pm) I'm at a loss how to occupy him. I don't want to overstimulate him so close to bedtime! Any suggestions?

Replies

• Hey hun

My ds loves his bouncy chair with toys on it... this was the third bouncy chair we brought for dd as she hated her other 2 and this one she loved (3rd time lucky!) luckily ds loves it too... maybe try a different chair? This is the one we have its half price at the moment too, he loves the mirror it really makes him smile!

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Toys/Bouncers-and-Rockers/Bright-Starts-Backyard-Buddies-Bouncing-Cradle(0032040)

He also loves his play mat. Thing is though he has a little toddler to watch running around, singing, shouting etc and he finds her really entertaining :lol: so i guess that helps!

Dont worry as they get older it gets easier to entertain them image You could always try bringing his bed time forward so your not struggling in the evenings? My ds goes to bed at 7pm with dd so his bath is about 6pm xx
  • Ds also loves his play gym (we have the Lamaze space one which has sound and bars that move), or I sing to him (he forgives me for not being in tune), doesn't like his bumbo yet, likes looking out the window?!? Or being read to or us playing with some of his toys.

Ds can only last 2 hours awake at most before getting overtired. So we feed around 4ish, then go for a pram walk around 5 for a quick catnap before his bath at 6, then massage, light show, feed then bed.

How is little George? Is he feeling any better yet? It may just be he wants to be cuddled by his mum at the moment?
  • Hey Nic,

Thanks for that - I will look at buying him a lightshow (he LOVES looking at lights, and the TV (not good at 10 weeks image) so it may help us.

Wish I could tell you he was getting better, sadly he isn't - if anything I think he's getting worse! I had friends over on Friday to visit him, and he just screamed and screamed - couldn't get him to stop (to the extent I am worried he's going to give himself a hernia if he carries on). As they left they gave me a hug and said how sorry they were and that I had my work cut out with him (tell me something I don't know).

We took him for second session of Cranial on Friday, and all the Osteopath said was (a) gosh, his cry is piercing, isn't it !!!!, and (b) I have never met a more unsettled baby (he showed us a hold to try with him, and said that George was the only baby in his career who did not immediately settle when he put him into it) - GREAT!

He doesn't just cry - he screams and I am sure it's because he's in pain. I have come to the conclusion it must just be trapped wind (despite us spending literally HOURS trying to wind him in every which position you could think of) as all around his mouth, nose and bridge of his nose is blue (I think that is a sign of wind).

No-one seems able to tell me what's causing all the wind though - we always feed upright due to his Reflux, and have Dr Brown's bottles. Also use gripe water in cooled boiled water between feeds.

He is producing LOADS and LOADS of saliva at the moment, and all day yesterday he kep trying to put his fist in his mouth. I just can't get the idea out of my head that he might be teething VERY early ?!?!

Hope Alex is feeling better?
  • Oh dear, my dd was a screamer as she had undiagnosed silent reflux until 12 weeks. I take it he is already on Gaviscon? I definitely think you should go see your gp there could be something else like lactose intolerant or something.

As for the saliva and fist in the mouth its just a natural thing babys do at this age when they discover there hands xx
  • Alex has lots of trapped wind too, but no longer screaming thanks mrs d. At a loss as to what to try now as using gripe water too, have to hope they grow out of this phase soon x
  • i reckon it's a phase

Jayden is exactly the same - used to play happily on his own but now insists on me entertaining him. the only place he will happily be on his own for more than a few minutes is in his cot if the musical mobile is switched on
    hoping he'll grow out of it soonish!
  • Harry is impossible to entertain for more than 5 mins too! Hubby is better at playing with him than me, but i am good at the getting him to sleep bit lol x
  • Harry is impossible to entertain for more than 5 mins too! Hubby is better at playing with him than me, but i am good at the getting him to sleep bit lol x
  • I was finding it hard to entertain Sophie too and she would not let me leave the room so couldn't get anything done. I've bought the Chicco baby carrier so I can carry her round in front of me. Its so good - I can get loads done while shes in it. And also managed my first trip to Sainsbury's without OH. Couldn't do it on my own before because she would just scream if we tried to push her round in her car seat in the trolley so one of us would have to carry her and the other push the trolley. Now she'll just sit quietly in the carrier and look over the sides as I'm walking round. Keeps her really entertained and she usually ends up falling asleep after a while. Would definitely recommend giving it a go but just make sure you get one that they can see over the sides of. Have heard someone saying their lo didn't get on with it because couln't see out x
  • Hey, Just wanted to say that Leila went through a stage of screaming a few weeks ago, we couldn't get to the bottom of what was wrong but she was obviously in pain. Took her to the dr who agreed she was definately acting as though in pain but couldn't find anything wrong. He prescribed Calpol even though she was too young and said to just give 2.5 mls every 8 hours. Half an hour after the first dose she was a different baby! She had 2 more doses and has been fine for the oassed 4 weeks. Worth a try if you haven't already?