Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What times 'bed time'?

I dont follow a routine i have always been baby led and Megan settled into her own kind of routine fairly well (she was feeding about midnight down by half past and sleeping through til 6/6.30) this means she is more awake during the day and cat naps more than anything (45mins-1hr) i dont mind this as im up and awake and would rather have sleep at night - it also depends on what we are doing as she'll sleep in pram or car seat but be more awake if we are visiting someone etc - she is usually 3-3.5 hourly feeds (starts gurning about half an hr before but i can usually hold her off - by the time i make and cool a bottle as i make them from scratch i have to anyway) but on saturday she was feeding quite a bit (busy day shopping then visit to the inlaws) she fed at 5 then 10 then went down at 10.30 so i expected to be up about 3 but she slept through til 6 (i didnt as i kept expecting her to get up lol) then last night she fed about 6is (feeds usually no more than an hour apart but can be if she occasionally goes 4.5-5hrs) then wanted fed at 8pm - there was no pacifying her (she doesnt have a dummy) and so we gave her about 80mls was all she wanted she then went down about 8.45 so i sat up expecting her to get up and eventually tried to get some sleep about 1 - she slept til 4am so still 7hrs!

in one way this is progress as we are getting 7hrs but in another way its like a step backwards - i can cope with 5am but 4am still seems too 'overnight' for me lol - she goes back over for another 3-4hrs anyway but i would like her to feed about 10/10.30 so she is down by 11.30 at the latest which i would just stay up til if i knew i was going to get a sleep til 6-7am but now her times have been all out today she wanted fed at 5.30 so bathed her at 5 which i know is v.early but it means she has now been down asleep since 6pm (also first night putting her in the crib in our room rather than moses basket beside us despite me saying i am going to do it for about a week lol and she has gone down right away but she is good at self settling) this is providing she is tired as during the day as i said im not getting much sleep time so she can be a bit grumpy as i think she gets bored and while i talk/sing/cuddle her and she has tummy time and on the play mat and in the bouncer i think she gets bored and prob a bit over tired although she seems to catch up on her sleep at night...

anyway tonoght if she doesnt wake herself im going to try and wake her about 10ish and see if she will wake up and get her settled by 11pm and then maybe she will sleep through but 6pm is a very unrealistic 'bed time' espec if we are out and about plus hubby doesnt get in from work til 6pm...im hoping she'll start to feed about 6.30 and go down at 7.30 which would put me back to getting up about midnight (wouldnt stay up would go to bed for a few hours then get up) but again if she slept til 7ish thats not so bad!

as i said im baby led and no fussed about imposing a routine - she feeds when she wants and how much she wants but bed time for me is a bit of a bummer as it can change from night to night...the nights i sit up expecting her to wake she doesnt so i get no sleep and im tired despite not having to get up for feeds and the night i say i will go to bed for a few hours - shes up, awake and wanting fed lol...

she will be 6 weeks on thurday - anyone elses lo's about this age what are you doing? im just curious lol...

Laura x

Replies

• we are also now baby lead as Bella was having big feeding issues. Shes 7 weeks but she's started last week to have a bottle at between 9-11 and will then sleep till 430-5 then go back down till 730-9. some days shes awake nearly all day and others she sleeps most of the day and night.
  • My dd always went to bed at 6pm.. she would never last longer than that and it slowly moved to 7pm over time (shes now 22 months)

Ds goes when ever he has his last evening bottle really.. anywhere between 6.30-8.30 depends how he fed during the day as sometimes he is every 3 hours but mostly feeds every 2 hours so a routine is impossible. Then he may wake at 10ish but if he doesnt i leave him so he usually wakes at 12 then 3 then 6 etc etc x
  • our bed time really varies too,,, and sometimes she just won't sleep early in the evening anyway, but will come 10-11 o clock. last night she went down at 10 30 ish, woke for a feed at 3 30 then went down till 8 am, another feed and she's still asleep now!! i think we need to get up earlier to start her day earlier so that sleep comes quicker in the evening, but its soo hard dragging myself out of bed at 7-8 am when she's asleep and i could have an extra few hours!!
    im baby led too, so if she needs to sleep, she can, at this age its not about what babies want to do, they do what they need, so im not going to impose any routines or try to keep her awake yet, just slowly try to change her natural routine by waking earlier ( maybe tomorrow!) so that she needs sleep earlier in the evening, hopetully. i do the bath pyjamas and bottle routine, but the time varies according to when she's fed during the day xx
  • thanks ladies...mine time has always vaired too being baby led and just wanted to check...

last night after going down at 6pm she woke at 9pm (dont think she went into as a deep a sleep as she was in the room in her crib but thats what i wanted anyway rather than her doing her 6/7hrs from that point) she woke at 9pm and had daddy cuddles as he had got held up at work and didnt get in til nearly 6.30 so missed her she then fed at 9.30 and slept til 4am so 6.5hrs but her nappy was wet and dirty so i think that woke her up as wet nappies dont normally wake her any earlier...she then went back down but as she has a cold and is quite blocked up it was neary 6am before she went back to sleep (she self settles though and was quite content when the snuffles werent bothering her) i liked those times lol,...i think 4 is a goodish time to get up as if i got to bed at 10.30/11 i get a good 4hour block and then she might in her own time start to sleep right through til 6ish - she goes back over whether its 4/5/6am anyway...

she then woke up at 8am looing for a bottle but went back to sleep and it was nearly 9.30am before she woke up - she is 3hrly feeds during the day so fed at 12.30 then 3.30 but has been really sleepy all day she she is quite blocked up which is horrible as i cant really do anything for her - then rather than feed at 6.30 we went a walk in the pram then had a bath and started feed at 7.30 instead but shes still only took 100mls as opposed 4-6oz she usually takes but cause she is blocked up im just letting her take what she can manage as we have been baby led all the way through anyway - she might wake up about 10.30/11 now or she might sleep through 2.30/3am or she might be up 3 hourly overnight as she hasnt had as much during the day...i figure she'll keep me right with what she wants.

just wondered what others bedtimes where and im glad im not the only one with a variable 'bed time' i have found that no matter how awkae or sleepy she is during the day (it varies day to day) she will still have a 6/7hr block of sleep at night whether it be from 6pm or 10pm (obviously i prefer the later one lol) so i dont tend to bother with what she does during the day e.g 3 or 4hrs between a feed, 45 mins nap or 2hr ones etc...

Lx
  • I am baby led too and whilst I keep trying to do a 6ish bath, bottle and bed (because I felt like this is what I should be doing) I still havent managed it. We end up with the 9/ 10 o clock feed being the last feed before he goes up to the bedroom. 6 is just so hard as hubby gets in from work, I am trying to get dinner sorted and it feels so early! But I keep missing bath time as in the evening he wakes up hungry so would scream through a bath and then falls asleep! I end up doing morning baths. Its hard work, maybe when he is awake for longer I will find a bath easier! x
  • hi again, i think megan is about the same age as my little one and she's also been very sleepy today, but feeding well inbetween taking 5-6 oz, she spent saturday night constantly feeding so i think she's in the middle of a growth spurt and needs her sleep to keep growing. she had 4 oz at 8 and is asleep now, so fingers crossed we can get a big feed in at 11 ish, may even try a dream feed.
    my little one is just getting rid of the sniffles, they've been a right pain! ive been using saline drops to clear her nose before feeds, but only needed them at night and in the morning as thats when it was worse. i was convinved they were waking her up too, so fingers crossed we get up to 6 hours soon, megan is doing really well! xx
  • thanks - she slept til 1am then gurned til 2am before she was awake enough from abottle (had that one at 7.30pm) so not quite as long as usual but her nose is really bothering her as its more than snuffles she has alot of snot etc so think its a wee cold...she only took 100mls which isnt like her but she was very blocked up and sneezing etc as she seems to be worse at night she then slept til 6.30 when she took 4oz.

i think she might be going through a growth spurt too as she has days when she sleeps alot follwed by one or two more awake active ones but as she is unwell just now she is sleeping much more and her feeds are slightly off too which is why im not trying to bother about the times just now even though it was like a step back but our times are chaniging everyday at the minute..she woke at 10.30am but was 11 by the time i changed her and got her dressed etc and she took 6oz...she was then awake til 1 so we had lots of play time/tummy time etc then she she slept for an hour and woke for her feed (she seems to like 2hourly during the day lol) but she only took 4oz there again and it was a struggle as she was sleepy after 100mls! i cant force her to stay awake, changing her bum etc doesnt help and i also cant force her to take a feed eg at 11pm if she doesnt want it as she just spits the bottle out so dream feeds are no use....

im expecting her to feed again at 5pm espec as she didnt take as much there but rather than bath her first and put her down for 6pm like i did the other night in the hope she wakes up im going to feed her then try and get her to wake about 8/8.30pm for a feed as at 5pm im just going to leave her clothed in the moses basket and if she doesnt wake up by 8.30 i will try and wake her up and bath her, jammies on and see if she will then take a feed and go down in her crib then for 9ish and come to recognise that as bedtime routine as that way i would maybe get til about 3.30 before i had to get up and then 7.30 and 11.30 etc tomorrow - either way i reckon times will keep changing for a bit espec when she isnt her self but im hopeful she will eventually start sleeping from 7.30/8 til about 5ish then go back over til about 9ish which is a better time to start the day not too late like 1o.30/11 we had today but not to early like 7.30/8 either lol but will just play it by ear for the time being - she is 6 weeks tomorrow (where has time gone?!)

I sometimes think my little one sleeps too much rubarb but then days liek today she doesnt at all - sometimes i think she is bored with me she would rather sleep!

Oh well im sure things will get there in the end and hopefully your 6hr block of sleep isnt too far away - how did last night go?

Lx

[Modified by: Lauz41 on July 28, 2010 03:08 PM]

• ok so i fed her at 5pm and she took 4oz which was a stuggle as she is getting really tired now with feeds as the day goes on just cause of her snuffles she then woke at 7.30 screaming for a feed but we held her off and bathed her then she took 5oz at 8pm follwed by another 50 odd mils but was a little sick (i thought she might be) then i put her down in the room and she hasnt really settled - she is awake now but not crying im goign to see if she stays awake til 11 then change her bum and try her with a feed and see how we get on - i was hoping she would sleep 9-3ish but now im not so sure so im hoping if she does take any more milk tonight (i had planned to go to bed at 10.30 for a few hours incase she was up a bit earlier but will stay up til 11pm anyway and see what she does) i hope she will then sleep through til 6ish but i doubt it as she always does whateer i dont expect her too lol..

Lx
  • Im baby led in the day, I dont force any feeding times, make him stick to sleep times etc, but I do have a bedtime routine and hes sooo used to it now he gets cranky from about 6 to 6.15 cos he knows its coming!

Both my babas go up about 6.45, bath and play etc... then when they get out they get dry, baby loition massages.. and then George goes to bed at 7.30 and Erin at 8!
  • for past 2 nights she has had a bath about 8pm and a feed about half past and then slept through - we got 8hrs last night which i was shocked and pleased by so will see how it goes...she was 3 hourly on the dot during the day 4-5oz but as as today has been draining 6oz each feed (so not like her but putting it down to the 6 week growth spurt) however she has been going almost 4hours on that amount...overall im quite pleased and hope it continues and that she eventually starts to sleep through...

Lx
  • For the past 3 days Tristan lee has been 7.30pm.. he hasnt made it past this and is exhausted by then. I give him his bath at 6.30 then he has a bottle at 7pm then i put him upstairs once he starts falling asleep. He then wakes at 11pm for a feed then 3am then up at 7am.

Didnt plan on such a routine so soon but he has fallen into it so im just following his lead and he seems really content xx
  • I have never followed a strict routine with ds who is 2 so i dont think i will with harry. We tend to have dinner between 5-6 then a playtime with daddy then bath then calmdown time then milk and bed which tends to be around 8-8.30. I never got ds to go to bed too early as he's be awake at 5am (im not a morning person) so he goes down later and wakes between 7-8am which is great. Harry is fitting in with the loose routine so its working well. xx