Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Gaviscon.........should i give Lactulose?UPDATED

hi girls ..neve has been prescribed infant gaviscon for reflux....thing is even if i dont give her 4 doses throughout the 24 hour period(she generally has 2-3) shes getting constipated.......i have heard that some of you whose LOs have reflux give lactulose...i have some in the cupboard,left over from when i was PG.....should i give her a bit?im fully breast feeding her...she did go poos yesterday but strained so much and che cried when it came out,it was fully foremed like a child on solids!!
she hasnt been since but i could hear her straining at 7am this morning.
also does the gaviscon make your LOs sleepy? shes slept so much since starting it on thursday afternoon!

xxx

i HAVE AN APPOINTMENT LATER TODAY WITH NEVE TO SEE THE DR.she was screaming last night and the only thing that would calm her was a BF.....her legs were going crazy and her whole body was rigid,tears were syreaming down her face and i can honestly say the only time i have heard her scream like that was at her jabs!! but this went on for longer.......BF at 4.30 till 5pm,then 1 sachet gaviscon at 5.30pm,bath at 6.15pm,then she started screaming in the bath.......she did this the other night not long after gaviscon,could it be upsetting her tummy?
im going to talk about Ranitidine..my HV says we can go on domperidone(to stop neve feeling sicky)gaviscon and ranitidine all at once,but dr will prob just try one at a time for a week at a time.i hate seeing her suffer and last night was bad again.

how are you getting on with Ranitidine for your little ones? xxxxx

[Modified by: clarehair on 08 September 2010 13:22:00 ]

Replies

• I think you would be better trying cooled, boiled water first, I hate giving medication to lo. Gaviscon made his poo like scrambled egg and he had to work hard to get it out. (also bf) I stopped gaviscon after our cranial osteopathy, but think we'er going to have to start again image

jmaybe she's sleeping because her tummy feels better ? x
  • Like jellytots I would try cool boiled water first too and if that doesnt work perhaps add some prune juice, not sure how much tho but wonder if you can ask your health visitor. I know mrs raf and hodgeys dorris have given their lo's fruit juice so may beable to help with quantities.
    hope neve feels better soon. how are you finding the gaviscon? Alana started on it last wed and sems much better the past 2 days
  • hey,

how is neve now - what did you decide to do in the end?

i would always try the cool boiled water first a few ozs but if that doesnt work prune juice really isnt recommended as nothing is before the 4 month mark (although obviously some hvs seem to be recommending people give it) some people also use some brown sugar in the water and thats also not recommended due to weaning guidelines and oral health point of view but its entirely up to each individual mother what they chose to do that they think is best for their little one

actulose can be given at the same time as gaviscon and wont do any harm...me personally i would give it if the cool boiled water didnt work but thats only cause of my job (neonatal nurse currently a hv nurse) but you should really speak to your gp or health visitor first (both of mine are crap hence why i would go ahead) a 'typical' dose is usually prescribed as 2.5 mls twice a day but you could give it up to 4 times if needed and if it was REALLY bad constipation 5mls at a time but that would def need to be discussed with your gp first.

The thing with bowels is sometimes they just need a little bit of help when they get clogged up (quite common with the gaviscon as feeds are so thick) lactulose can give them a 'kick start' and then when they have ha d abit of a clear out often they begin to empty more regularly again so you can then wean off of the lactulose...i dont like giving medications when not needed but in some cases lactulose is and if her poo is that hard and she is getting that upset i think its worth thinking about it (if you have tried the cool boiled water with no effect?)

as for sleeping gaviscon thickens the milk and is harder to digest so it could be why she is sleeping a bit more and will hopefully it'll improve when her system is used to it or she could be sleeping as she is settled as she feels more content as she is keeping her feeds down so not going hungry or it could just be a coincidence!

Poor neve - i hope things improve soon!

Lx
  • hi lauz xx
    neve still hasnt pooed..i managed to get about half once water down her but as she had BF she didnt want any more,bit difficult when your BFing.....im going to clinic tomorrow to get her weighed so ill ask there....poor girl was feeding before bed and she came off boob and let out this really high pitched scream,i picked her up and her legs were going,but then she caught sight of the telly,and she was fine!!! lol

she has slept so well today and im sure my milk has changed or shes sucking harder..really weird as shes not on the boob for long now,maybe 10mins at a time...but shes going longer between feeds(up to 4 hours) and she slept this afternoon for 2.5 hours!! woke up at 1.30pm then asleep again at 4pm for 1 hour and 15 mins!! but both times are on her front with her dummy in.......and i stay in the lounge with her..but putting her on her front seems to help her tummy.

xxxx
  • i hope you can get some answers at the clinic tomorrow although it sounds like she might need lactulose however, current guidelines say that as long as babies arent struggling and getting upset when trying to go to the loo then they can be left upto 7 days before intervention but this doesnt seem to be the case with neve and it will be upset for you seeing her so upset...

Good luck xxx
  • Fingers crossed you get some useful advice today clair and hope neve is better soon X
  • Hi Clare
    prune juice works but it can cause stomach cramps so I have switched to pear

I have just started Jayden on gaviscon and he didn't poo at all yesterday. I gave him some pear juice this morning and he went half an hour later
    I have the Heinz Baby juice. It's prediluted but they are supposed to be 4 months so I do equal parts juice and boiled water. Might help to give it before a bath as the warm water also relaxes the tummy
  • hi girls......mrs raf,thats worth knowing,i think ill get some pear juice to keep if and when Neve needs it!
    neve pooed about an hour ago!! yay!! nice and runny,like it should be ,so that makes me happy!
    we didnt give her any gaviscon at all yesterday and we had a bad night with her last night,she just wouldnt settle as everytime i went to put her in the crib she cried as i guess the acid travels up her throat,but she was fine leaning against daddies chest for nearly 2 hours!!! image
    HV was great and said i need to speak to the dr(i had already written letter to dr and dropped it off after clinic,stating i didnt want to continue with the gaviscon....if it was going to solve one problem(reflux)just to gain another(constipation) so i left the ball in his court,but i mentioned Ranitidine.........do they get constipated from ranitidine?how long does it take to be effective against reflux?

i also mentione about neve only settling on her tummy,she said this was fine but not to wrap her in blankets and check she doesnt get too hot..she said she may develop a habit and only want to be on her tummy but to carry on with this until her reflux has cleared,by which time she may be able to roll,so a habit wont need to be broken!i did state that i wouldnt put her down on her tummy for the night though...and i only give her her dummy as a sleep aid.
    she fast asleep now! bless her..also i found what has haelped a bit has been to remove the bassinet from her buggy and put the 'big seat'on..so shes slightly upright,she doesnt get chucked about so much and being a bit upright helps with her reflux too xxxxx.
  • Aw so glad Neve is a bit bitter. I am now aorried about Alana as she hasnt done a poo since this time yesterday, she normally does at least 3 and quite often she will do 5!! So to have nothing is a bit strange, she has been a bit grumpy this afternoon and iv given her some water.
    I too have put Alana in her big seat to help her reflux, she looks so tiny in it hehe
    I dont know much about ranitidine but have also thought the same, its hard to know what to do for the best, but if Alana starts to get really uncomfortable I too will be going back.
    How much gaviscon is Neve taking? I am giving Alana one sachet at her 11am feed and one sachet at her 7pm feed and this seems to be suiting her, although she has been a bit sicky again today and grumpy but I think thats more to do with the fact she has been trying to poo!
    Keep us posted as to what your doctor decides to do X X
  • from what I read ranitidine is more likely to make their poos runnier! ranitidine minmises the acid by up to 70% which is why its good for silent reflux babies who are maxing out on their gaviscon dose (ie up to 6 doses a day)

I have a wedge in Alex's pram, but hes not that great at sleeping in it still (unlike his car seat)... hmmm trip up into the attic me thinks!