Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Cot bumpers

I have bought a cot bumper for James's cot and I think he needs it because he always smashes his head against the moses basket and I dont want him to do this in the cot - however are they dangerous? also if you are supposed to sleep a baby feet to foot then their head wont be near the bumper anyway? Im confused!! how do you mummies with babies in cots sleep your babies? xx

Replies

• My LO's head reaches no where near the top of the cot yet...
    So the cot bumper just covers one side of the cot so she has something to look at when she wakes in the morning.
    I hope that helps.
    xxx
  • i have 2 cot bumpers one that came with the bedding i bought and a colourful one with a mirror the colourful one goes down one side so she can see it and the other one is around the top. and phoebe does sleep feet to foot as recomended
  • I'm also confused about this - I've read that they're dangerous but so many people have used them with no probs. Our nursery is done in mamas and papas hodge podge and I can't quite bring myself to spend ??50 on a matching bumper :/
  • Right, I checked on the FSID website to make sure about the risks. In the research into SIDS there was no evidence to suggest good or bad things about bumpers. The only advice is to remove when babies can climb up on them. The worries are they restrict air flow causing overheating, can be a suffocation risk, or a strangulation risk if they come off and babies get the ties...so long as we check we are safe with all the above they are fine! so I have put mine on down the side of the cot so James can look at the animals xx