Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010

Our birth story*with pics*

Ok firstly - its pretty long & its not a good write up as I have had to rush it and type it in between sorting the kids. lol. so sorry if it seems a bit scrambled!

On Thursay 3rd June (39wks) my Midwife came round to perform a membrane sweep. I had a light show and slight contractions & was already 1-2cm dialated. This continued all weekend but no progress was made which made me think the sweep had failed. All Monday I was fine then I had quite a large show in the evening. at around 9.30pm I started getting contractions which at first I thought was Braxton Hicks, then they started to feel different. I told James that the pains were 'familiar' (sounds odd but I just knew they werent Braxton Hicks) I decided to hang on before calling the midwife though. I was on the phone to my mum who was timing my contractions and she said they were every 3-4 mins. I called the Labour Ward who said as this was my 4th labour I should have a midwife out soon. She turned up at about 11.30. I also called my mum who was due to have time off work the week after my due date to come and stay & she decided to make her way to us bless her (shes 150 miles away) I managed the contractions by just breathing through them. We were all making a fuss over the dog who kept licking my legs everytime I had a contraction! bless her. Around 1am the Midwife checked us over and noted that babies heart rate was quite high, by this time I was 4cm dialted. We made the decision that when my mum got here to look after the boys we wold go into hospital as babies heart rate wasn't coming down. My mum arrived at about 2am and by this time my contractions were really intense and lasting a long time. Babies heart rate was still high so the midwife called an ambulance. We went straight to delivery suite and was greeted by a lovely midwife who offered me gas & air - I was too scared to use it as it made me throw up everywhere with J and I hadnt used it since. They kept me strapped to a monitor so they could keep an eye on babie's heart rate.

I pleaded with the midwife to check if I had progressed but she refused saying that if I hadnt it would be really disheartening. By now my contractions were really painful but I wanted to hold out as long as possible before I had anything. Eventually (Im not sure what time) my pleading worked and she told me I was 6cm and babies head was quite high. I was GUTTED. I asked if they could break my waters but they wouldnt incase babies cord came down before her head. I ended up having a shot of pethadine which really helped take the edge off of the contractions. James persuaded me to have some gas & air which didnt make me feel sick but didnt really do much to help either. Poor James - I nearly broke his finger through one contraction. He was really good though, rubbing my back when the pain was bad. By now it was light outside and the pain was really really bad. I was exhusted too after a weekend of braxton hicks and no sleep.

Eventually I had the urge to push but after the midwife checked I was only 8cm so had to fight the urge. It was really hard trying not to do something your body is automatically doing. After about 15 minutes my waters broke and shot about 3metres and splashed up the wall!! Even the midwife was shocked! Then all Hell Broke loose. Thinking I still had 2 cms left to dialte there was nothing ready in the room. She buzzed for another midwife and I could eventually start pushing. At 8.06am Lil Miss came out in 3 pushes and the relief was phenominal! she squeeked a little but fell silent and it was only when James told me that she really was a girl and she had the cord round her neck that I looked at her. The midwives managed to free it and she started crying. She went onto my chest and then passed to James as I was checked over and given the injection to speed up placenta delivery which took longer than I remember it being with the boys.

One of the first things James said was that she looked like Isaac, and she really does! She weighed in at 7lb 14oz & was covered in vernix! She latched on straight away and was a natural breast feeder! I was so proud. I tore a little but nothing that needed stitching.

James went home not long after and we were taken up to the ward to settle in.

She was without a doubt the hardest/most painful labour I have had but she was worth every minute and I am smitten with her!

If you managed to get this far then thanks!! lol I will add some pics in a bit. I will also write up what happened when i had to go bk in but for now I need a cuppa!! :lol:

Isaac holding her

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u349/brandollarz/babygirl050-1.jpg

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u349/brandollarz/babygirl034.jpg

[Modified by: JunieMummy on 15 June 2010 09:38:58 ]

Replies

• awwww thats beautiful elaine!! im sure ive read that each babiess birth is more painful than the last........were you initially planning a homebirth?but then had to go in as heartrate was high?bless your little dog image xxxxxx glad your ok and baby is fine too,all the waiting wa worth it image) xxxx
  • Aw hun that's a lovely story! Def not off putting so don't worry image love the dog bit!! That's so sweet!

Any progress on names? How are you feeling now? x x x
  • congrats junie!!!! dont think that was scary BS at all, although i appreciate it was painful lol! Cant wait to see pics x x
  • well done you junie
  • Well done you! Have you chosen a name for her yet? x
  • Well done, thanks for sharing hon. Congratulations xx
  • Well done you! Have you chosen a name for her yet? x

The boys want to call her Emily so we will probably stick with that. lol.
  • flippin adds

Ok firstly - its pretty long & its not a good write up as I have had to rush it and type it in between sorting the kids. lol. so sorry if it seems a bit scrambled!

On Thursay 3rd June (39wks) my Midwife came round to perform a membrane sweep. I had a light show and slight contractions & was already 1-2cm dialated. This continued all weekend but no progress was made which made me think the sweep had failed. All Monday I was fine then I had quite a large show in the evening. at around 9.30pm I started getting contractions which at first I thought was Braxton Hicks, then they started to feel different. I told James that the pains were 'familiar' (sounds odd but I just knew they werent Braxton Hicks) I decided to hang on before calling the midwife though. I was on the phone to my mum who was timing my contractions and she said they were every 3-4 mins. I called the Labour Ward who said as this was my 4th labour I should have a midwife out soon. She turned up at about 11.30. I also called my mum who was due to have time off work the week after my due date to come and stay & she decided to make her way to us bless her (shes 150 miles away) I managed the contractions by just breathing through them. We were all making a fuss over the dog who kept licking my legs everytime I had a contraction! bless her. Around 1am the Midwife checked us over and noted that babies heart rate was quite high, by this time I was 4cm dialted. We made the decision that when my mum got here to look after the boys we wold go into hospital as babies heart rate wasn't coming down. My mum arrived at about 2am and by this time my contractions were really intense and lasting a long time. Babies heart rate was still high so the midwife called an ambulance. We went straight to delivery suite and was greeted by a lovely midwife who offered me gas & air - I was too scared to use it as it made me throw up everywhere with J and I hadnt used it since. They kept me strapped to a monitor so they could keep an eye on babie's heart rate.

I pleaded with the midwife to check if I had progressed but she refused saying that if I hadnt it would be really disheartening. By now my contractions were really painful but I wanted to hold out as long as possible before I had anything. Eventually (Im not sure what time) my pleading worked and she told me I was 6cm and babies head was quite high. I was GUTTED. I asked if they could break my waters but they wouldnt incase babies cord came down before her head. I ended up having a shot of pethadine which really helped take the edge off of the contractions. James persuaded me to have some gas & air which didnt make me feel sick but didnt really do much to help either. Poor James - I nearly broke his finger through one contraction. He was really good though, rubbing my back when the pain was bad. By now it was light outside and the pain was really really bad. I was exhusted too after a weekend of braxton hicks and no sleep.

Eventually I had the urge to push but after the midwife checked I was only 8cm so had to fight the urge. It was really hard trying not to do something your body is automatically doing. After about 15 minutes my waters broke and shot about 3metres and splashed up the wall!! Even the midwife was shocked! Then all Hell Broke loose. Thinking I still had 2 cms left to dialte there was nothing ready in the room. She buzzed for another midwife and I could eventually start pushing. At 8.06am Lil Miss came out in 3 pushes and the relief was phenominal! she squeeked a little but fell silent and it was only when James told me that she really was a girl and she had the cord round her neck that I looked at her. The midwives managed to free it and she started crying. She went onto my chest and then passed to James as I was checked over and given the injection to speed up placenta delivery which took longer than I remember it being with the boys.

One of the first things James said was that she looked like Isaac, and she really does! She weighed in at 7lb 14oz & was covered in vernix! She latched on straight away and was a natural breast feeder! I was so proud. I tore a little but nothing that needed stitching.

James went home not long after and we were taken up to the ward to settle in.

She was without a doubt the hardest/most painful labour I have had but she was worth every minute and I am smitten with her!

If you managed to get this far then thanks!! lol I will add some pics in a bit. I will also write up what happened when i had to go bk in but for now I need a cuppa!!

• G/C from due in Jan 2011!!
    Thanks for sharing babe!!

xx

Shyro
  • Aw congrats hun, and Emily is a lovely name!