Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Still sleeping lots.........

Is it normal for an 8 week old baby to still sleep a lot?

Harry isnt in a routine yet as he's had colic and he's now got a cold so to be honest i've just gone along with whatever keeps him happy but loosely this is his day,

Wake for a feed at 6am, play until 7am then sleep until 10, feed at 10 then sleep until 12ish, wake for an hour then sleep until 2pm, awake for 2 hours then sleep until 6pm. Have a bath until 7, sleep until 9, Awake and play between 9 and 10pm, feed at 10pm, sleep until feed at 2pm, after feed sleep until 6m feed.

It seems like he sleeps alot?:\? And i worry i'm not stimulating him enough when he's awake?

Replies

• my Harry is 10wks now and hardly sleeps in the day now. im lucky if i can get him to have 2-3hrs in the day. he was sleeping quite alot before. you said ur harry has a cold so hes probably sleeping more because of that. its probably knocked him for six so he needs the extra sleep to get himself better.

Amy. xxx
  • Honey try not to worry, this sounds very similar to what Alana was doing at this age and i too worried that she was sleeping too much but she too was having a longer block of sleep at night (11pm-5am) so I dont thinks she was. The baby book I have suggests babys of 8 wks old should sleep for around 14-17hrs in a 24hr period with a minimum of 3 hrs during the day so this sounds about right for your LO.
    He is awake for some time after each feed too so I shouldnt worry, Alana is 13wks now and sometimes still finds it hard to stay awake after her feed, often enjoying a cat nap inbetween her feed LOL
  • hi,

i wouldnt worry about it - all babies are different and babies who sleep longer at night tend to nap during the day and vice versa...i havnt red any baby books (not from a personal point of view anyway) as long as he is content then i wouldnt stress at this stage as he is still young and babies do get over stimulated...

as for us Megan wakes about 6am and is generally awake - chatting, drifting back to sleep for short periods then wakening again until about 7am when she looks for a feed (no point feeding her earlier until she wakes up) she will then go back to sleep til about 10.30 (unless we are going out early - this was because she was wakening for a feed about 5.30 so going back over til about 9ish and getting up) she will maybe have a 20minute nap in the morning and one in the afternoon and sometimes if we are in the car or outr in the pram a bit of a longer sleep - on days when we are in i have started putting her in the crib as she is too big for moses basket and im getting about 45mins...

today though as she didnt take a feed til 7.45 (hoping this becomes her new pattern lol) i just got her dressed before it and kept her up - she was awake til 10am then slept for 20mins on the way to baby massage and then for about half an hour afterwards about 12pm on the way home.

i think keeping her up early (which is what i will keep doing if she is going to go to that time rather than 5.30) made a difference as by 3pm she was really tired i put her down in the crib and she slept til 4pm woke up and grumbled for 5mins - normally she would get up but she then went back to sleep for another 45mins then that was her til bedtime 1 minutes ago - thats about 2.5 hours sleep when normally im lucky to get 1hr-1.5hr during the day but then she was going back to sleep after her early morning feed and sleeping through the night so it still worked out in terms of sleep....

Lx