Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Soothers / Pacifiers - UPDATE

Hello

Another question . . .

Emily is exclusivly breastfeeding at the moment and I'm finding that she's using that to sooth to go to sleep! Is this happening to anyone else?

Anyone given in to giving a soother/pacifier yet? If so at how many days old? How did it work?

YummyMummy79
Emily - 12 days old x

Well, I finally gave in and got the pacifiers sterilised and introduced them to Emily - She hates it!!!! :lol: She takes one or two sucks - realised it's not my nipple and spits it back out. Day 3 now and still doesn't like it - Typical!!! :lol:

[Modified by: YummyMummy79 on 23 June 2010 12:15:41 ]

Replies

• Options
    Hello there,
    yep I found that Oscar was comfort suckling as well so introduced a dummy (the free one that came with TT CTN steriliser) and he has had no probs with confusion, he can take it or leave it though, some nights he won't setle without it, others he'll spit it out and go down fine without it. We introduced it quite early 3 or 4 days old as my nipples couldn't take his sharp litle gums.

Hope this helps
    F&J and Oscar - 17 days
  • Options
    Alana is also exclusively bresast fed but my milk comes out so fast sometimes on the right side that it caused her to be colicy and get terrible gripping at night so we gave in and gave her a dummy at 16 days old. I dont think she has any confusion although she is slipping off during her feed and making me sore but she had started to do that anyway in the wk b4 we gave her a dummy. As fandj says sometimes she takes it sometimes she isnt bothered with it
  • Options
    We gave Jayden a dummy a couple of days ago and it's the best thing we've bought!

We took him for cranial osteopathy due to a v difficult forceps delivery and she recommended it to relieve the pressure on his skull - it's really helped and he settles himself to sleep even when we put him in the crib awake
    4 days ago he would cry the minute we put him down!
  • Options
    Viola had a dummy at day 3. I breast feed and top up with formular/breast milk from a bottle when needed. She certainly isn't confused (neither was my son, although with him I stressed over giving him a dummy becasue of all the 'advice'). Personally I think nipple confussion is a load of ****. I know a lot of people who had issues getting their babies to take bottles after leaving it too long, haven't yet met anyone who had nipple confussion issues.
  • Options
    Caleb has had a dummy for weeks now. He uses it to fall asleep then pulls it out himself just before he drops off. Lol x
  • Options
    We are bottle feeding but offered George a dummy at day 2 but he just gags on it xx