Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Hi ladies.... Well all was going so well until today, I absolutely love having Phoebe, it's hard work but I am loving being a mummy so much, it hasn't bothered me that I get no sleep or that everything takes twice as long to do, I was adjusting well, really happy and getting on so well with her... Until today...

Today I feel really sad.. Might be a touch of baby blues, all of a sudden I have become really possessive of her, I don't like other people holding her, I know it's silly to feel that way but I do...

Also I'm finding it hard adjusting to the fact that I am no longer all she needs, when she was in my belly it was only me looking after her, feeling her kicks, her hiccups etc... And now that she's out I'm finding it hard to share her... She also seems to be much more settled with her dad than with me, sometimes when she's with me she will just cry and cry and there's nothing I can do to settle her, but as soon as hubby takes her from me she quietens down, it breaks my heart... I've cried about 5 times this evening... I'm aware of how stupid I sound but I feel like she just doesn't like being with me, and it's so hard going from being the only one she needs to feeling totally useless!

Am I being really stupid?

Michelle & Phoebe 8 days x

Replies

• It's a very emotional time... you will have high
    and very low days... it's such an emotional rollercoaster
    - this may only last a couple of days.. "this feeling"
    think of all the hormones we all have whizzing around!
    My "thing" was constantly worrying about her.. Every little
    noise she made or red patch or spot on her skin
    I paniced and rushed her to the doctors.. Poppys 5
    weeks old today and I've already had her to the docs
    3 times... Was starting to think I had that muchausen thing!!ahhh
    but I've started to get to know her and things are getting
    better everyday-that way! But then I'll have something
    else to worry about... I.e breastfeeding etc...

Don't stress yourself too much honey... Enjoy your
    time together having snuggles.
    Maybe limit your guests/visitors for a week? Just to
    give u quailty time?xx
    Poppy loves her daddy.. And if she's unsettled I give her
    to him as she settles better... Think it's to do with the
    smell of my milk?she knows it's me..and thinks I'm
    guna feed her... It won't be long before she recognises
    you and gives you a juicy grin! Take care honey x
  • hey hunny im not like it this time but with my first i felt very much like you do now and dont feel bad that she settles well with her dad babys can sense how your feeling and if your getting anxious that you cant settle her she will feel it so when your husband takes her and isnt wound up at all or emotional she will sense this and naturally settle better (hope that makes sense) its nothing to do with prefering him she loves you both equally so keep that in mind hun and dont let it upset you
    hugs it really does get easier espespecially when your hormones settle down x
    leanne and phoebe 2 weeks tomorro
  • My son settled better with his dad and now Viola does it too. It really is becasue Mum means food. Look at it this way no one else can do that for her. They maybe out but they need us more than ever now. And you are her world and will be for at least the next year or 3! You will get the first smile, the first word, the first everything and your aproval will mean more than anyone elses.

It sounds like baby blues to me. I had mine a couple of days ago but it seems to be passing now. Not nice though.

Groomy, Viola & Sejer xxxx
  • Thanks ladies, i do think my hubby is much calmer than me, i panic a bit when she is screaming and i can't settle her down, whereas he doesn't, he's very calm, perhaps thats why she seems happier and more settled with him.. i am trying to relax more..

I couldn't stop crying last night, think it must be hormones cuz im not normally like that but i feel much better today though... we got out to the park for a picnic for a few hrs, which was nice, think it helped to get out the house for a while....x
  • I'm so glad that I made time to come on here today, despite the exhaustion!! I've spent most of last night and today in tears. Glad you are feeling better today and well done for getting out xx
  • hi ilc - know exactlyhow you feel as i have had days where I just cry all the time - its just hormones! also Freya does settle better with hubby. Like the others say its probably becasue you smell of milk and she just wants to feed all the time for comfort. We gave in and introduced a dummy yesterday as we are trying to distract her from having comfort snacky feeds and have longer feeds every 21/2 to 3 hours. Was hard work yesterday. lets hope today is better!