Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in June 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Finding out sex on Christmas day? - I have a cool idea!

Ok, so I have managed to get through the last few weeks without any more bleeds(touch wood) and tomorrow is my fortnightly 'check up' scan. I will be 15+4.

We have decided that because I am having so many scans we are not staying team yellow and are going to find out what flavour bundle we are having. We'd rather find out together than me find out on my own after being flashed by baby at one of the million scans I will be having between now and June.

We were originally going to wait until our anomoly scan which is on the 13th of Jan but I had an idea this weekend that I could ask my obstetrician tomorrow if she could have quick look and write the answer down in a little card for me (that's if she can see and baby is being co-operative!)

I was going to seal the card up and wrap it in a box so DH and I could open it together on Christmas day.

What do you think of my idea? Do you think it would be more special finding out on Christmas day than at the scan?

I hope my obstetrician doesn't think I am a cheeky mare for asking

Replies

• i think thats a really beautiful idea. xx
  • Ooh what a good idea! I would be so tempted to sneak a look before Xmas though lol xx
  • Good idea just keep in mind that it may not be 100% clear at 15+4, they say week 14 and 15 are very hard to tell as everything is still forming, don't want to burst the bubble but just keep an open mind in case you get a surprise later on! image
  • Thats a wonderful idea hun.your patience will deffo be tested! I thought they couldn't tell before 16 weeks though? X
  • Ooh that is a fab idea! I was desperate to get my scan in before crimbo but don't think we will! Hmph. I agree with other ladies - they often can't see til week 18-22 clearly. No harm in asking though, especially as they can confirm at your later scans. Good luck!

MrsEH 16+4
  • Wow - i think that is a lovely idea!

My cousin has her scan tomorrow and is going to do the same thing I think.
  • Hello ladies,

Well, I had my scan and the main thing is that baby looks fine, is very active and my cervix is nice and firmly closed. I was thrilled to see baby again looking healthy and well and so much bigger than 2 weeks ago!

I asked my obstetrician if it was possible to find out th sex this early and she said that it was and was more than happy to find it out for me and write it down. Apparently it is possible to see around 15 weeks, although they would caution you not to go out and furnish your entire nursery in pink or blue until it has been confirmed at the 20 week scan!

So, she got to poking around in that area and.....

my little baby had his/ her legs firmly crossed like a little frog! Not only that but s/he was playing with the cord which was also between his/her legs so there was absolutely no way of seeing what (if anything!) was dangling there! :lol:

Bless my obs, she tried everything - I even gave the baby a couple of gentle 'pokes' from the side to see if we could get him/her to move but nothing doing!!!

I am not disappointed in the slightest because my baby is obviously very comfortable in there and happy to stay curled up. It's a shame that we won't get to have 'the big reveal' on Christmas day like we'd planned but my 20 weeks scan (actually 18+5) is on the 13th Jan so not too far away at all. Might take the precaution of drinking a cold full fat coke beforehand to see if I can coax the little one into giving us a flash, otherwise we might be having a surprise after all!

Sarah xxx

• Little begger! Well it'll be 100% sure when you get the scan next time, no second guessing! So your scan is the day after mine I'll be 18+3 for mine. Can't wait to find out what's in there! Lovely that you lo was so active!
  • Aww gutted. My dd did that at our 20 week scan

Glad all us looking good though. Such a relief to see them again x
  • Love your baby...thats sooo funny! Was about to say what a lovely idea!!! x x x x
  • Hehe! You remind baby of that when it wants to open pressies before Xmas! Good news that all is ok though. Does the coke work? I think I will walk around before my scan to try and keep it active. Hmm.. Desperate to know!
  • Aw, baby is teasing you lol! I heard that a fizzy drink and some chocolate before the scan makes baby more active so definitely try that next time. x
  • Sounded like such a lovely idea sorry it didnt work out!!! Thanks for the fizzy pop and choc idea will definitely have some prior to my next scan!