Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in June 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Ketone's in urine - twice in a week, should I be worried?

Hi girls

Just after some advice...

I have now been signed off sick for the rest of the week, as I have a UTI - and on my second course of anti biotics, because the first one havent touched it.

(Bit annoyed as the week I had my midwife I wasnt feeling well - but I think she was running late and didnt check my sample, and wondering if it would have been picked up then!).

Anyway, I saw Dr last week, she said I had an infection. She also asked if I was being sick... anyway, I said no, thought nothing of it.

Yesterday I got a call, saying the sample sent to the lab was bad, and prob needed more anti biotics. So, I dropped in a sample. The Dr asked again if I was being sick, then said I have Ketones in my urine, and she told me to eat more and eat more carbs.

I am confused though - I am eating lots of carbs (in fact, its the only thing I can eat).

Has anyone had this, and do they know what it means?

Thanks

xx

Replies

• I've not had this Tinkerbell but the urine infection could well have caused the ketones. Have you had lots of morning sickness cos that might be behind it?

Its good that its been picked up now (boo to the midwife for not testing earlier though)and hopefully the second lot of antibiotics will sort it out for you. My pregnancy book says that UTIs are very common and that drinking lots of water help prevent them. xx
  • Poor you. I thought ketones were a sign you weren't drinking enough?? Don't quote me but I am pretty sure a pregnant friend had it all the time and got told to drink more water. X