Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in June 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Amniocentesis - eek :-(

Hello

I haven't been on for a while mainly because everything was running along smoothly but I have been logging in pretty much every other day and keeping an eye on you all!!

When I went for the nuchal fold scan the baby was too active and it couldn't be done sdespite many attempts. I had the screening blood test done at 15 weeks and the midwife called me on Thursday to say I have an increased risk of having a baby with Down's Syndrome (1 in 160). This really has knocked me for six. With 2 healthy children I never even considered it a possibility.

We were given the options of do nothing, wait for 20 week scan on 31.01 or have the amniocentesis (which carries a 1 in 100 chance of miscarriage)

:?

It has been a horrible few days but we have decided to have the test (booked for this Wednesday)as we feel that we simply couldn't cope if our baby had DS and it wouldn't be fair on our other 2 children. I am now going out of my mind with worry!

Does anyone know of someone that has had this doen and their experience? Just need to know what lies ahead really...

Lorraine

16 weeks 3 days

Replies

• Hi there, no experience with this but just wanted to say best of luck, i am sure all with be ok x

17 weeks
  • Hi Lorraine - I just posted in PG for you.
  • Hi hun, a friend of mine had it and was absolutely fine. Try not to worry. I know its much easier said than done x
  • Hi Lorraine,

I haven't been on here in a while because we've had some complications but I've just seen your post and thought I'd reply.

I had an amniocentisis at about 16 weeks because we were told baby had a high chance of chromosomal abnormalities. We wanted to have the test done so we had as much info about our baby's condition to be able to make an informed decision, and inspite of the risk of miscarriage.

I'm now 20 weeks and we got the results back a week or so ago - all normal! What a shocker, we were expecting the worst, but we so pleased and relieved to get this result. We have had other complications too - baby has a cyst - but are now not high risk anymore and pregnancy is progressing ok. I have found it such a relief to have the concrete results and am glad we did the tests.

The amnio itself was pretty straight forward. Not painful, just a little uncomfortable for a very short time. I didn't look at what they were doing, just closed my eyes! It was over pretty quickly. I was told to rest for a couple of days which I managed to do - despite having a toddler to look after!

I can understand what you are going through and wish you all the best. In my opinion, you have made a good decision, and I hope it all works out for you.

xx
  • how did it go hun? x
  • Hope all was ok? thinking bout you xxx
  • Hello

I had the test done yesterday and though I thought my pain threshold was high (only gas and air for prev 2 children) this procedure bloody hurt!It only took 3/4 mins but was painful from start to finish and Dr kept telling me not to tense my stomache!

Hardly any pain afterwards really and lots of baby kicks in the afternoon which was the best feeling ever. No kicks today so far and I need to feel them more than ever for that reassurance.

I should get the results no later than Friday next wee. Thank you for all the kind messages and your stories as this definitely helped me to prepare for it.

Fingers crossed.

Lorraine xx
  • Glad you are ok hun. Hope this week goes fast for you x
  • Poor you! Fingers crossed that everything is ok and you find out pronto. Put your feet up and get plenty of r&r. X
  • Goodness not been on here for a few days! Sorry you have had the additional stress but pleased to hear littleone is kicking about! Hope you get good results!
  • Fingers crossed at all is good

We're all thinking of you

xxx