Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby heartbeat-boy or girl?

Has anyone else heard this? Apparantly you can tell the baby's sex by the heartbeat in the womb, if its higher than a certain number its a boy and lower than a certain number its a girl(or vice versa), this theory may be an old wives tale . Just heard someone say it so thought i'd see if anyone has tried it out?

Replies

• i have heard it before but im not sure there is any truth to it.

if it was the case then surely everyone would know the sex at their 16 week check? x
  • ive heard if its 140 and below its a boy and 140 over its a girl.......my babys heartbeat was 152 so would be a girl................ill know in 34days!!! lol
  • definatly an old wifes tale as when baby moves heart rate speeds up, and then slows down!! when midwife did mine it was 150 bpm so that would be girl he's definatly a boy though,lol. xxx
  • I've heard that this only works when you're in labour so it's a bit pointless by then.
  • G/C from May

DD's was always over 140 bpm so it was true in that case but this time it was still over 140 & scan confirmed i'm having a boy.

I read that girls heartbeats ARE faster but only when they get on the outside so I think it's a load of old doggy poo i'm afraid!!