Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is it ok to sleep on our backs?

Hi just wondered if it's still ok to sleep on your back at this stage as I thought I saw somewhere that the weight of your tummy can rest on something and cut off the supply to your baby? I'm just wondering if that is when we are much further on?

Replies

• I read that it's more uncomfortable for you at this stage as baby sits against your organs and spine contributing to back ache so I don't think it's bad necessarily for baby but for you it is. I do try and sleep on my left side as this is what they say is best for circulation to the placenta but tbh I always end up about 40% left side, 40% right side and about 20% on my back - that I know of anyway! My 'what to expect book' says there is no harm done by this so I'm not too concerned.
  • I always fall asleep on my left side and always wake up on my back,lol. I think when your asleep your body relaxes into whatever position you get comfy in. lol x I wouldnt worry toomuch but if you are just ask your midwife xx
  • I read this too. I thought no probs, I sleep on my left hand side naturally anyway. We've always joked about it that hubby & I get into bed and turn away from eachother! Lol. Then- wham! I am only blinking sleepy on my back. I did however read that someone pregnant women are only comfy in the 'corpse' position & this book recommended it for relaxing! Confused.com! I do find my hips lock/ache if I spend all night on my back, whereas on my sideI can wedge a cushion between my knees to stop that. Oh the dilemmas! :roll:
  • They say after 20 weeks nit to sleep on your back as the weight of the baby and placenta etc cuts off circulation from the main vein running through the body. Veina cava or summat

It will just cause pubs and needles or numbness in legs and lose body but you would probably wake up from it anyway x
  • I'm 21+2 - maybe that is why I have been getting crampy type feeling on my legs throughout the night?! Oops! Maybe I should invest in one of those pillows to wedge me in place!
  • I was wandering this too, also read somewhere about not doing it but couldn't remember what or why!! It has made me very wary now of how I sleep.

I have always slept on my front, but since being pregnant I have tried not too esp when I got a bump!! but every so often I wake up on my front but to the side if that makes sense!?! so hopefully I'm not squashing baby!!
  • Hehehe - I don't think you'll squash baby. I don't know how you can sleep on your front, I find that so uncomfy! When you are really tired it is so hard to stick to a particular position and sleep is sooooo precious at the mo.
  • Thanks for your replies. I quite like sleeping on my back and front too, wish I could just cut a big hole out of my matress for the bump to slip in too! :lol:
  • I have 1 of those 5ft foot pillows from mothercare... love it!!! Ideally its best to sleep on the left but if you sleep on your back im you will just wake up from being so uncomfy in the end

Try not to worry too much.

Cramp is normal in pregnancy at.night. i found pushing your heel down as far as you can stops it x