Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Scarlett fever and slap cheek.......

are both on the go in my daughters school, and its only a small school, aaarrrgggh, i dont want to catch any of them but am really quite worrie. Gona have to ring midwife first thing to find out if there's anything i can do to avoid it. Think im immune to slapcheek and my oldest has had it but my youngest hasnt and i know NOTHING about scarlett fever. Anyone gor any info on that. im away to google it now xxx

Replies

• Hey, I had scarlet fever when I was about 20! I didn't feel unwell, just had a very itchy and red neck lol. I went to the doctor as I thought it was a bad allergic reaction but it turned out to be scarlet fever and although I felt fine, I had to take a course of antibiotics as it can lead to kidney problems in very rare cases.

Hope you don't catch it - none of my flatmates did when I had it though so you may well be fine and miss it! xx
  • Oooh I hope it is ok for you. I spoke to my mw about this at 12 weeks. I am a primary teacher and heard it was doing the rounds. She said there was nothing I could do and that if I was concerned obv to ring the GP and if I saw any signs of it in kids at school to talk to someone about how best I could avoid that pupil. I think I would just take the day off sick and see my GP about it though! Slap cheek is supposed to be quite serious in pregnancy. Just be vigilant.
  • Hi I am a teacher too and so far this pg I have been exposed to slap cheek, rubella, foot and mouth disease and shingles! mw couldnt stop laughing last time I rang for advise and told me that my school is diseased!! Regarding slap cheek you should be told to go for a blood test which will tell you if you are immune or not. I had to have 5 days off work when this was going round my school until it was proved that I was immune - unfortunately went back the first day of an OFSTED inspection! I should imagine if your oldest has had it you will have also contracted it so will be immune. It sometimes only presents itself as a cold without the rash. Apparently 60% of adult pop have had it so are immune. Sorry not been exposed to scarlett fever (yet) so not sure about that one!
  • Hi Muffin, my bloods are being tested just waiting on results and mw says scarlett fever is nothing to worry about. Thanks ladies xxx