Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Cord Blood

My local hospital the Leicester Royal Infirmary work with the Anthony Nolan Trust and allow women to donate the Cord Blood after delivery to be used to help people fight leukaemia. I am seriously considering giving my consent, has anyone else considered this and do other hospitals offer this?

HJS

Replies

• Hi, I've not heard of this but would be very willing to do it. I think they use the stem cells from the cord. My FIL was due to have stem cell treatment to treat cancer but sadly didn't make it. I wonder how I can find out if my hospital does this - will check out the Anthony Nolan Trust website, thanks! xx
  • can you let us know Mrssept what you find??

I have never heard of this either. I would be more than happy to do it! x
  • I had a look at the website but only 3 hospitals are currently involved in this - 2 in Leicester and Kings Cross in London so no good for me unfortunately xx
  • It might still be worth asking your Midwife, it took me a while to track down that LRI. And different charities seem to work in different areas.

HJS
  • I've just found out that a few other hospitals in England also do this - they are listed at - http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/cordblood/howtodonate/canidonate/

And Princess Royal Maternity hospital in Glasgow seems to do it too but I've not managed to find out anything about my hospital (in Livingston) but will ask my midwife when I next see her xx
  • G/C from due in may but my local hospital is also Leicester Royal and I remember seeing this advertised when I went for a consultant appointment, I'm going to speak to my midwife when I see her next week to see what needs to be done. At the end of the day "why not?" if it can save a life rather than being thrown in a medical waste bin then they should do it anyway in my opinion!
  • Hi Mrs Sept,

We were living in Glasgow in 2009 and I had my baby at Princess Royal and it was a new thing they were introducing but did not have the funding to train any further staff as I had purposely booked in there to donate stem cells as my son had Leukaemia but sadly no one was trained and no one was available to do it as my baby decide she wanted to come out on Christmas day so hence co-ordinator was travelling to Isle of Lewis and deputy was flying to Switzerland so left me to it without donating and was so distraught and still upset could not do it so hopefully things have moved on down south as living here now and due baby in the summer. Good luck with what you decide x
  • GC from DIJuly.

HJs2 - im booked at the general and im giving mine image

I work there and the work that the girls do collecting the cord blood is invaluable image they do a great job.

Im of the opinion that if my babys cord blood can save a life then why not. they only get incinerated anyway.

xxx