Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2013

Upset about early scan

Hi Ladies

Well, i went to the Dr yesterday to have my pregnancy confirmed via blood tests and just to 'touch base' so to speak. I am British but live in the Middle East so we have a different system over here (its all private medical).

He did the blood tests and rang yesterday confirming that the result was positive and in line with me being about 5 weeks.

He also did an ultrasound on my tummy, and told me the machine wasn't great and the actual scanning machine would be a lot, lot better but we could have a look anyway. He kept showing me the uterus and bladder and said we should see a black dot (the baby) but we didn't. Admittedly the picture was really grainy, he didnt seem worried (he was super old as well so very doddery) and I walked away feeling ok thinking, "well he didnt seem concerned and as I am only 5+1" (possibly even a little less as I went through hormone treatment so ovulated on day 18) I thought I wouldn't see much.

But then a friend turned round to me this morning and said I should have seen something. I am now starting to panic, that something bad has happened and I should have seen something. He said for me to come back at the end of October for anothe rcsan by which time I should be 7 or 8 weeks. He booked my bed for June next year (as the hospital is small and gets full quickly) so that also reassured me.

Part of my problem I think is that I dont really have any symptoms. Just veiny breasts, and a little more tired than usual but that's it! He has me on progesterone until I am 12 weeks (as thats what the infertility clinic had me on for the 1st 2 weeks). I am just a bit in limbo now, trying to be relaxed about it all but the comment from the friend this morning has really made me worry!

Sorry for long winded post, just wanted to get it all off my chest really as too early for me to have anyone to talke to about it x x

Replies

• Don't worry at this stage. At about 6 weeks I went for an early scan after brown spotting and they couldn't see much. I was beside myself so had another private scan at about 7 weks and there she was. Don't worry about the symptoms either. I didn't have any at all x

• Thanks for your quick response Broody_BettyBoopBoop, reassured me somewhat.

I am kicking myself as really wasnt worried at all about lack of symptoms or not seeing much on scanner as have done heaps of pregnancy tests and the blood test and all were fine and have had no spotting at all, it was just the friends comment that threw me for six this morning.

Hopefully at my nect scan in a few weeks things will be much clearer x

• Congratulations Flutterby 2. image

At five weeks your little miracle is only 2mm big and weighs less than a gram, so I'm not surprised that you hard trouble seeing anything on a grainy scan. Remember that your doctor is used to it and knows what he's looking for and he's booked you in for another scan where you'll see better.

Try to enjoy the lack of symptoms for the time being. You might be 'lucky' and not have to feel like you're going to throw up all the time. I'm sure that the tiredness will creep up on you in a few weeks as your body concentrates on growing your little one. image

Maybe keep a diary of how you're feeling? I found that being in here helped loads as there are lots of lovely ladies that have gone through this journey and can offer advice and reassurance.

Congratulations again. image x
  • Hi, I can't say don't worry as I'd be a total hypocrite as I'm going through early scan worries myself (spotting and early scan not seeing anything except sac and measuring me a week behind my dates). But just wanted to say you are not alone! It does sound like you were right to think nothing of him not seeing anything, the epau I went to said to see anything this early they need to do a transvaginal scan, as one done from the outside wouldn't pick up anything yet. Also everyone likes to tell a pregnant lady horror stories or how she should be feeling/what she should be doing, we are a magnet to them! Lol. But we are all individuals and so are our babies do nobody will have an identical story. In the mean time I'm sending you hugs and hope you are feeling a bit more positive xxxx
  • Thank you ladies, you really have made me feel much better and confirmed what I was already thinking.This is my first baby/pregnancy and I have nothing to go on. We had to go through some assistance to get pregnant (hormone shots as eggs to small) and had been trying for just under a year, the month I sought help, as was worried that we are both 31, was the month that we conceived. We are so desperate for this baby it just makes all the worries so hard. Up until today I was perfectly calm about the whole pregnancy thing.

Deeders, thank you for your kind words. Really does help in my time of need image I am hoping I am a 'lucky one' and dont get too sick. I am a teacher and school starts much earlier here so up at 5am, first lesson at 7:20. I have had a few mornings when I walked downstairs & felt queasy but not much else. Today I popped to the gym and walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes, that was it, have been wiped with tiredness for the rest of the day, slept for 3 hours this avo and ache all over (think I am getting a cold too). Trying to keep pregnancy a secret for as long as possible as boss here not ver sympathetic to pregnancy. Maybe I will try the diary thing and see, figured that as I was so early on, maybe symptoms might not kick in for another week or two. Although Mum happily told me she never suffered from any sickness, here's hoping hey image I do suffer from the AF cramps/lower back ache and have done since the day I ovulated, only needed to take panadol once though and Dr seemed unconcerned by it all.

Lisalou, sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time, really thinking of you. What is the next course of action for you? Thanks for making me feel better. As I live in the Middle East men aren't supposed to do transvaginal U/S so that's why he did the one on my tummy. I wasn't actually expecting to see anything and Dr didnt seem shocked, just said "well you will see more in a week or two when you come in for your next scan". And you are so true, we are a magnet for horror stories, people feel they can share everything with you and sometimes I think we discount the good things people say (Mum said she had no morning sickness or stretch marks) and just hear all the bad things (you should see your baby on a scan by now etc). x x x

• Hey,

I bet this happens to the doc all the time, he knows he needs to scan as protocol but he only has one option to do so. I bet he gets frustrated that he can't do a vaginal scan and reassure his patients as needed.

Try not to worry, my mum had no symptoms (until last weeks) and with mine Ive had little symptoms (spotting and nipples sore) so think its just a genetic thing image

When I had a scan with my first it really confined it for me but with my second it didn't although both scans were ok....I've learnt your gut feeling at this stage is far more powerful than any scan, you sound like deep down you know everything is ok so please trust yourself.

• Thanks Baby boom, that was a really sweet reply. Yes my gut tells me everything is ok at the moment, I have had no spotting and bloodt test and urine tests have all confirmed I am pregnant so going to trust that. I am going to have a scan next week anyway I think (as we have a 5 day holiday and cant bare to wait over the holiday) so will be 7+1 and hope that the radiographer can confirm everything for me.

This baby is much, much longed for and I am just paranoid about everything. Dr didn't seem worried about my lack of symptoms either (I have bigger, veiny boobs, cramping & backache but nothing really else). Let's hope all goes well next week and I may be able to breath a sigh of relief, at least for a day or two anyway image

• I'm sure it will all go ok. X