Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Nervous Wreck - worry about everything

hi 

Its my first pregnancy and I have turned into a nervous wreck.  It is normal for symptoms to come and go.  I had really sore boobs but they seem to have got less sore.  Also I have been having horrible dreams.  I am so scared.

I was shocked when i went to the doc to confirm pregnancy and all he told me was that is HPT is postive then yes I am pregnant.  I thought they would do blood tests etc.   I had 3 postives and 1 negative.

He told me i was due early June but i dont have the normal 28 days cycle.

So does the MW contact me?  I am not sure what the protocol is for this.

My doc even said it was ok for me to eat sushi - can you believe it?  when i know its not.

I also have a trip booked for end of next week - is it safe to fly?  This was booked  early this year.

I am so paranoid about everything and worrying all the time, is this normal?

How do you get a "dating" scan?  is this offered or do i need to request?

Sorry loads of questions

Replies

• Hello there, I think it is normal to have so many questions and be so worried, I am sure most women go through it. You should phone your doctor if you have any questions as the surgery can get them to phone you back then ask about the mw. Once you have a mw you can ask them all the questions as that is what they are there to help with. As for sushi, I think certain types are ok without shell fish and egg etc... I hope you get all the answers to your questions.x

• Hi TM,

This is also my first baby and am equally as anxious as you. I have loads of questions and worries. I am roughly 6+2 (ovulated late though) and due around the middle of June.

I don't live in the UK, so can't really help with your questions but having read other people's posts I think some first Dr's appointments can be a bit of an anticlimax. I was really lucky that my Dr was great (we had private medical out here). He did an ultrasound at 5 weeks (and again yesterday when I was worried about pains in my tummy & back), he had done 2 BHCG tests (blood tests), booked me in for an 8 week scan and generally made me feel much at ease. He told me to carry on with life as normal (go to the gym etc) but that I can't ride my horse anymore. I am also on Progesterone tablets becayse I went through hormone treatment to conceive.

Advice I received today is to try and relax and not stress about things unless you have severe pain or bleeding. To relax and pop your feet up when need to and keep up your folic acid and eat healthy.

People are divided into camps about the flying. I know several ladies who have flown and have had perfectly healthy pregnancies. How far is yoru flight? I was supposed to be heading away for a weekend in Dubai for our anniversary but opted to stay at a hotel here in stead (but that is only because I am utterly paranoid about everything. I think it would be perefectly fine though. If you are really worried perhaps ask your Doctor?

Dont worry Sweetie, I think its perfectly nor,al to worry about everything. I woke up in the middle of the night 2 nights ago with a really sharp pain across my tummy. (in hindsight it was probably my very full bladder) but I booked an appointment at the Dr's straight the nex day. He basically told me to stop stressing so much and take a panadol ha ha. He was very sweet though and exceptionally accommodating to all my silly questions and comments.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help you with your questions. I just wanted to share my stories with you so you know, you are really not no your own.

x x x x

• TM - congratulations! Yes its normal for symptoms to come and go with the rise and stabilization of hormones.

Unless your doctor has a reason why you can't fly then you are ok to fly.

Why can you not eat sushi? As long as its not shark etc (the fish with high mercury levels) and you don't eat loads then its safe to eat. However if your not comfortable eating it while pg then don't as you need to only do what you feel is right for you. Some women follow the guidelines to the letter and beyond while some go against everything. It's personal choice.

Every area is different in respect to booking a mw appt. Some don't have them till later, some have early, some contact you, some you contact so you will need to contact your Gp to confirm the practice for your area.

Again this also is the same with your dating scan. However each women is entitled to two scans in pregnancy, a dating scan around the 12 week mark and an anomaly scan around 20 weeks.

With regards to your doctor giving you a due date based on a 28 day cycle, this again is standard practice but don't worry coz this is provisional and may change at your dating scan. The date at the scan is your genuine EDD.

Hope this helps.
  • Thank you all.

I called my doc and will see her on thursday to double check about flying.  I think it wil be ok but just anxious.  

I also called the maternity unit at the hospital and they had booked me a mw apt on 7 nov and 1st scan on 28 nov - fingers crossed all will be normal.

I am just panicking about everything.  I have the weirdest and most vivid dreams - do you guys?  Some are quite graphic and dirty haha

When i just found out i was pregnant, my grandad was taken into hospital and he had to have an xray and i had to go into the room with him to explain to him what they wanted to do.  I was so upset as I was pregnant and scared that the xray would harm my feotus.  I told the radiographer and she said it was fine as long as i stood behing the screen as there is no radiation there.  I really wish i said no i want to be outside as I keep thinking i have harmed my baby.  I know they said it was fine but i am upset for letting myself expose to such risk.  I felt so guilty and bad and convinced i hurt my baby.   So i called the hospital and they said as long as i am not the one having the xray i am ok.

I wish they would give us scans earlier so we can stop worrying.

My husband keeps telling me I need to relax.  I think he cant wait for my mood swings to  be over.

Flutterby 2 - I am flying from London to Abu Dhabi - think its about a 6-8 hours.  My husband is a teacher so we are off to visit his sister for a week.  i wil make sure i get travel insurance.  Hopefully I will be fine and there will be no need to see a doc.

I just really want a healthy and safe pregnancy x

• TM your hubby is right try I'm afraid try relax. Trust me scans only relax you for a while after a few days your back to panic mode! Lol

Don't worry about radiation as I work at the hospital and had contact in theatres with it and I've had no problems image

Yes I've had vivid dreams unfortunately they've been rather disturbing, scary type ones, evil ppl attacking me or others etc....lol....strange!

I'm sure you'll be ok flying, enjoy your time away!

• Thank you Baby Boom - what is the best way you suggest to relax?  I am def doing yoga and swimming when i get to the second trimester but now too scared to do anything.

The other symptom i have is i get really hot.  I have always been someone who is freezing but now i sweat like a pig in bed.  I go from hot to cold so many times a day image)

yeah i have had evil dreams too 

• Hmmmm well simple things like taking a stroll, fresh air is always good. Swimming is ok now as long as you don't go from been a casual paddler to a speedy length swimmer! Lol or A warm bath and a good book. Or my fav for a dark wet evening....eastenders on Tv and a Takeaway pizza or homemade tuna pasta! Lol

Do something you enjoy. Your ok doing most usual activities its just no recommended to go from couch potatoes to marathon runner in the early stages, or start new hobbies like boxing! image

Try not to worry, focus on positives and set yourself goals.

Do you normally worry a lot about things or is there a reason for your worry?

• TM, I also have been having trouble with getting really hot at night. We live in Bahrain, its about 30 degrees outside in the day time but we have the AC on inside. I keep waking up in the night in a sweat and cheak that the AC is on as low as we usually have it. I am also suffering with a cold but it was going on way before the cold came. Dr said that it was normal after the nurse touched my leg and said I was really hot ha ha.

I also had a few naughty dreams (never had those before) as well as some really frightening ones where I woke up with heart racing.

I panic about everything too. I have already been to the Dr's 3 times since I discovered I was pregnant. Luckily my Dr was utterly fabulous and very understanding. I had a small bleed at the begining of this week and felt like it was all over, now feeling a little happier but as others have said the euphoria from scans and blood tests only seems to last a few days and then the panic sets in again. I think this is just the way it will be from now on image

I hope you went on that trip and thoroughly enjoy yourself. Maybe getting away will help you releax a bit. Have a great time x x

• TM - how are you this week? X
  • Hi Baby boom,

I'm in Abu Dhabi on holiday and has just had the worst day of my life. I'm bleeding with cramps. Went to hospital and the doc said there is nothing she could do. She told me to show her and said my bleed wasn't heavy enough. She said I have a 50% of miss carrying and told me to go home take paracetamol and put my feet up. But every time I go to the toilet there blood dripping out. However, not much on my pad. I really don't know what to do, my hubby and I are so scared.

She did an internal examination and said my cervix was still closed. I'm praying it stays closed. My cramps are on and off.

Before we flew out we had an early scan in London and they told me I was 5 weeks evn tho first day of period was 30 August. They saw a gestational sac and yolk sac, no foetal pole yet, we're so worried.

My hubby and I really want this to be ok but so scared. I'm 40 and this is my first pregnancy. I also have pcos.

We are here til sat. Th doc said I shouldn't hav flown I I was spotting in London but all te docs at home said it will be fine.

I just feel useless like I'm waiting for the inevitable to happen.

I'm praying everything will be ok. How long is this bleeding and cramping going to last?
  • I hope everything is ok TM and that the bleeding stops soon. Are you going to the doctors when you get back in the UK?

• Yes we have another scan next tues. that's a week away. I'm worried about flying home too. We come back Sunday morning.

I'm praying the bleeding stops too. I did see a clot. Worried sick
  • I really hope you get your happy ending TM.

Fingers crossed.
  • Thank you, us too