Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breastfeeding help when baby is born..

Hi..I know it's early days..

But I really want to breastfeed my third baby..my first two children i tried and failed..becasue i didn't express regularly..i have plenty of milk just dont know how to get it out..what can i do to prepare better this time..other than express every three hrs..which is hard after a c section..

Replies

• Simi....I love your organization! Lol

First I wanted to just say WHAT! who on earth told you you had to express 3 hourly?

Are you wanting to feed breastmilk VIA bottles or direct from breast?

I had a section with dd and breasted for a year, I had a few initial problems but then it was certainly the best thing ever and worth sticking with. What I will say is you have to be 100% for this idea coz it can be tough early on and if your mind isn't set then its easy to give up.

• Oooo and look for a breastfeeding training class in your area, there a day long and its during later pregnancy. Really helped me.
  • OMG!! bor both my pregnancies i was told to express 3 hourly..especially at night..it was too hard..im going to google breastfeeding classes...babyboom..thanks./.

I'm turning my study intoa nursery..im just clearing out all the rubbish at the mo..and will re-assemble my old cot once im more pregnant lol..im going to buy a day bed..so i dont disturb hybby at night when baby needs feeding..i've got a nursing chair and stool for £50 from ebay which was a bargain!! i'll paint it after i've had my 16 week gender scan..

• I really wanted to bf and tried for two weeks but my baby had a tongue tie that noone picked up on so wouldnt latch on properly. I loved my pregnancy and birth and even stayed for three extra days in the midwifery led unit to get support with breastfeeding but I was treated apaulingly and milked liked a cow by different nurses every hour til I was cracked and bleeding. I cried all the time and it really made me feel humilited. I will not be breastfeeding at the hospital this time! I will feed the baby a bottle to get home, and may try quietly and alone in the comfort of my own home.

• Simi - if your feeding direct from breast then you've no need to ever express because you should feed on demand, as breast fed babies need more frequent feeds than formula fed babies as breast milk digests better. It is very hard work but so rewarding.

Apricot - Omg what an appalling way to be treated, nurses/ mw should not lay a finger on your breasts as there is simply no need! Be careful if you put baby on a bottle and try to switch as the sucking is learnt and bottle teats (even the ones "like" breast nipples) are so different from our nipples and the suck is different. Support is really important to success (or stubborness!). My dd had a tounge tie and as a result couldn't latch which resulted in a large weight loss, I was so petrified of her having it cut (mw gave me 2 days or she would have to go to hospital!) I cup fed her over night and that gave her some energy and then I tried various feeding positions and the rugby ball been best for her (and me) she managed to latch with a bit of effort and nipple rolling lol

• I know baby boom it was the worst part of my pregnancy. I think because she couldnt latch on they expressed for me using a syringe and as she was loosing alot of weight, she went down to 5lbs 9 at one stage, but I expressed when I got home so she had a good couple of weeks of the breast milk then I was so depressed I stopped. I will try again as I say and I understand about bottles being different to the breast but it is the only way I will do it.x

• Oh that's really sad apricot, I really hope this time you have a better experience. As time changes so does practice so fingers crossed they've learnt from past mistakes. Fingers crossed. X
  • G/C but wondered whether baby may have been jaundiced? - this would explain being told to BF/feed every 3-4hrs.

Along with support classes you can find local support groups such as 'Pink Ladies' or 'La Leche League' normally listed at the front of your child health record book, you can call them 24/7 for advice/support however daft your questions might seem, they are extremely good at helping find the answers.

• Kazzie - that's true...there are national support help line/ websites. Good advice I'd missed.

Yes also true about jaundice, however breast babies tend to feed more than 3 hourly (in general) in the first few weeks, where jaundice would be more likely to occur.

• I breast fed both my boys and although I found it very hard going I will definately be doing it again as I totally believe in all the health benefits associated with it. My main both has been not having enough milk and having big hungry babies (9lb 8 and 9lb5)
  • Thanks for ur help ladies xx