Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Waiting for dr to call

Hi ladies and beans. Hope you are all well. I'm feeling hurrendous, only managed to get into work one day this week! And yesterday even sipping some juice made me sick image. I've rang the surgery this morning and asked for telephone consultation (just can't face the walk there and back, just don't want to move), but she had no more appointments til Monday!!!! I explained the situation and she is getting the on call dr to phone me when she can (although I said I was 9 weeks and then after few mins she said, so did you say you are overdue anyway, I said no I'm only 9 weeks and bit later she commented on how late it was to get symptoms so god knows what message the dr actually got!). I don't know if she will give me any meds but I'm going to ask if I can get a sick note or something as just couldn't do a day at work like this. It's utterly miserable image xxxx

Replies

• Hello!

I totally sympathise. I have been signed off work for 4 weeks due to my sickness. It's awful isn't it? I have been given cyclizine which works well for me but does make me dizzy. I have been so usless somedays it's scary! I was also very sick with my daughter so was expecting it but still rubbish.

I have found that being off and resting a lot has helped.

Good luck!!! XxK
  • So sorry you're going through it too mrs cake! I was bad with ds but wasn't working and had nobody else to think about at the time. I do think it's a bit worse this time but they could be the reasons! Resting is all I can do at the min, it really gets you down not being able to get on with anything, and even whilst resting I feel so nauseas. How have your work been with you about being off? X
  • I am a teacher and the last lot fell in the summer holidays so I didn't have to think about work either. Trying to look after a todler is hard work too! Makes everything a million times harder because I always feel guilty that I cant look after her in the at I normally would.

Work have been fine to my face! Who knows what people are saying but I am beyond caring now. I would swap feeling well and being in work for this a million times over! I was very worried about telling them to start with but now it's done I just feel so relieved that I don't have worry about it.

I hope your GP is understanding. If not speak to someone else as if you were this ill from something like gastroenteritis no one would expect you to work!

Xx
  • Dr from the partner surgery to mine called. Was lovely about it and has prescribed me some tablets (although now gotta get someone to go to this other surgery to pick up the prescription for me). He didn't give me a sick note as said to self certify for first week (on 2nd sick day as took weds as AL) then babbled on about ginger biscuits etc although he did say I've probably tried that. I just explained I have tried everything and ginger is worst as it burns coming back up. Then just said keepy fluids up esp as i am being sick. Hope these tablets work!!!! X
  • I hope the tablets make you feel abit better lisalou, I am also feeling really bad and threw up for the first time yesterday. I was trying to change my dd dirty nappy and the smell just made me ill. I didnt get sick once with dd so it is all new to me. I could hardly get out of bed the last two days, my dh was off work so ok, but I am all on my own again with an almost 2 year old and it is difficult to keep her occupied. We have a play date with a friend this afternoon so I hope I feel better, i dont want to tell her til after my scan that I am expecting. Hope you are ok too Mrscake,  and that we all feel better soon.x

• Apricotmoon- I am sorry that you are feeling bad too. It's so hard being pregnant. I keep saying that if they could bottle this feeling there would be no teenage pregnancies! Lol. It's so hard with LO around, mine is at school so at least there is a reprieve from child care during the day. He is really upset at momment as he doesn't want a brother or sister so me being too poorly to do anything with him is really not helping. Hope you feel well enough for your play date later! X
  • My daughter is with her childminder everyday while I'm off thank goodness! I don't know what we would do!!

Xx
  • I am still pretty rough too. I am lucky that I have been on holiday from work for a week now but it has been a struggle even just resting at home if u can call running after 2 kids resting! I am dreading going back to work next week as at least at home I can please myself. I have started taking a supplement of B vitamins and I do feel less sicky since I started that. I had read somewhere that it may help. I just feel weary, no energy and light headed. I have actually lost 3lb now as I am off my food, luckily I can afford to drop a few lb image I hope we are all feeling better soon x
  • how are people now?

how are the tablets working LisaLou84 and MrsCake?

• Hi. Tablets are definitely helping as they are allowing me to keep some food and fluid down. However they don't take away the feeling of nausea and I'm still heaving quite a bit and very tired as the nausea wakes me up at night. Still off work, feel so horrible ringing every morning, think they are getting annoyed with me. Going back to dr this afternoon to see if I can get signed off for a week or two. Hope so, otherwise it's back to work for me tomorrow and coz I feel so yuck the thought of that gets me really anxious. How is everyone else? Xx
  • Hello,

I'm still off work and very glad to be. Still feeling awful somedays! It's really hard work feeling ill everyday. The feeling nauseous is just as bad as throwing up I think, it's horrible. I also get the night time sickness which is just the icing on the cake :-/

Lisalou it sounds like you need to be signed off so you don't have to worry about work for a little bit.

Hope everyone else is coping ok, roll on week 20....... (when I felt better last time!)

Xx
  • I have had today off work too... Am also a teacher, I actually went in but felt so poorly that I was sent home by the school Dr. Thankfully tomorrow in a public holiday here so I get a long weekend to relax. My boss knows about my pregnancy (wasn't happy telling her but she referred me to her fertility Dr so I couldn't really avoid the questions), she was very understanding as has just returned from materity leave and had awful sickness when she was pregnant.

This is my first baby so nobody to run around after but my hubby is not overly sympathetic. Think sometimes he thinks I exaggerate how sick I feel. I never really throw up, just heave, and usually when I am hungry. Today as well as the nausea I have had really bad tummy pains (the same stretching feeling I have been having throughout) and lower back ache as well as general acheyness and tiredness. I came home from work and slept for 4 hours and spent the rest of the day on the sofa watching trash TV image

It's ironic as I went to the Dr just yesterday as lots of my symptoms had subsided. He did  scan and saw baby there with a good strong heartbeat and then wham the symptoms came back with force today! Ah well, I keep saying it will all be worth it in the end, just wish I didn't feel so rubbish!

Hope we all start to feel better soon. It's not long and we should all be hitting our 12 week mark and hopefully some if not most of our symptoms should disappear by then image x x