Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Finger Foods?

Ive started to give Aimee a few, only rusks and butter toast and chips, bad mummy!! But she gags a lot and i nearly give myself a heart attack with worry!!
When do you know they are ready?
Shes good at holding and chewing but once it goes to the back of her tongue she gags?
The Hv has said babies cannot choke something to do with a reflex but is this true?
I fell want her to start having lots but I cant cope with the panic!! xx

Also any ideas of good foods? xx

Replies

• Options
    I know it's such a worry, Lexi was the same to begin with, just take things slowly and I am sure she will be fine.

We started with little bits of bananna, ripe pear and grated cheese. Then went onto the Biscotti biscuit and rice cakes things, you can also make little square sandwiches with dairylea, Lexi loves this. It;s a messy business but needs to be done, it is important for their speech development !

Oh and to begin with I only used to do finger foods when there was me and another adult in the house, made me more confident.

Before you know it she will be trying to munch on your lunch x
  • Options
    Although Ellie has only been weaning for a few weeks I have been giving her bits of food to hold when I have been eating as she watches what i'm doing so I thought this would be a good way to learn.

Yesterday however I gave her some buttered toast which she was sucking on & I was watching her like a hawk when it stuck at the back of her throat & she choked so I stuck my fingers in & she boked all over me!

Another game of trial & error I think but don't me disheartened, as Lynn says it's important for their speech development & as my 2 brothers & my nephew all had speech difficulties I am very conscious of doing what I can so Ellie doesn't have this problem.
    Lauren xx
  • Options
    I'm so glad it's not just me having kittens over finger food too! Samuel has gagged badly a few times and my heart skips a beat. I wish he could stay on pureed pear forever!

There's so much waste with finger food too. Okay, moan over.

I often eat steamed carrot sticks with my eve meal. He tries these chilled the next day (althogh I leave them in the steamer while I eat so they're very soft). I've tried mini packs of dried prunes which I bought from somerfield - they are very soft and moist. A friend says grapes are good if you nibble off the skin (haven't tried this yet).

Don't try raw apple yet. I did this yesterday and he bit a hard lump off with his solitary tooth which rolled around his mouth for about 10 mins. I couldn't get it out and I was convinced he'd choke on it. It went everntually tho. He's good at chewing now but not so good at swallowing.

Jo x