Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I have PND

It has taken me nearly 16 months but I finally went to my doctor this morning & have been diagnosed with PND.

I knew myself that I was depressed & that I got too worked up & adgitated & upset & angry over silly little things but when it happens I honestly can't think rationally about it.
He has given me anti-depressants & I know they are going to take a few weeks to work, if they do at all, but I am looking forward to feeling better.

Don't get me wrong things have definitely got better, I get out to work, get a break from her when her Daddy has her etc but there are still times when I think 'arrrrrggggghhhhh go away from me child, just go to sleep, oh jesus christ just shut up'!!!! and so for this I need something to help me calm down a little.

Just had to share this with you all because you have all supported me so much over the last long while & I just want to say thanks

Lauren xxx

Replies

• Hey Lauren,

glad you have got the help you want. hopefully things will get better now you have medication.

not really sure what to say but just wanted you to know you are not alone in your thoughts. I often find myself thinking "just go to sleep", "be quiet".....but i like to think the majority of people do. We aren't robots and i think we all need our own time. Gosh its hard work looking after a little one. Im with Mia 24/7 and it definetely has proved difficult at times.

I have looked to going back to work but have now decided to retrain....just taken up a route into accountancy so fingers crossed this will make me feel more useful in the world lol.

I think mummyhood is something no one can be prepared for...no matter how wanted Mia was, it was a shock to the system.

big hugs xx
  • Hiya,

It's great that you went to see the doc and that they were understanding. Really pleased you're getting some help and I know it'll start to get easier for you. Like Del says I think motherhood is soooooo much harder than we realise. I have been known to hide in the kitchen with a slab of chocolate (or wine if I deem it late enough in the day lol!!) when my two are being shouty and annoying!!
    Take care hon
    Zoe
    xx
  • Hi
    I really hope you will start to feel on top of things soon. i have also suffered pnd and know how helpless things can feel sometimes, but with support and some anti depressants things will get better.
    Mariaxx
  • well done for going to the docs, i really hope that you start to feel more like your old self soon. xx
  • hi girls,
    thanks for your replies.
    I have been on the tablets for less than a week & just getting used to them. Been feeling nauseous with no appetite then really hungry like i could eat everything in sight! few mad headaches but am told they are all normal side effects xx
  • Hello!

I was diagnosed with PND when Poppy was 3 months old (although if I'm truthful it started about 3 days after the delivery). I started on medication a couple of months later and had a course of computer-based cognitive-behavourial therapy (which was really good - ask your GP about it as it should be available everywhere). It is awful at the time but definitely gets better - although always slower than you want it to!!!

I am back at work and came off the meds nearly 4 four months ago - the difference between now and this time last year is massive!

Give yourself time to start to feel better but keep in mind that it will go away and you will feel so much better!

• Hi Lauren

Am sure you are going to be fine sooner or later... Just to let you know we are all with you for any emotional support you need..

all the very best
    xxx
    Bubbly
  • HI Lauren

Well done for going for help....that is the hardest part in all of this. You have such a grown up head on your yound shoulders.

I had PND with my Lauren and its no picnic. It reared its head again when I had Chris but with the others I (most days) seem OK.

Meds do work but eventually you have to stop taking them and thats when you need counselling and some support.

Big hugs to you

d xxx
  • Hi Lauren,

I was diagnosed with PND when Samuel was 9 months and I took Sertraline. It worked a treat within weeks and it was such a relief to feel normal again. I gradually weaned off them in March / April and I'm totally back to my old self now. Take care and try not to worry too much - the way you feel now is a temporary state. Take care, Jo x x x
  • how u feeling?? how is Miss Ellie and her eating????

d xxx