Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

lochia

hey ladies.
hoping you can all put my mind at ease.
as some of you may know i had a bad haemorage after the birth of mia, 10 days later i went on to have a second haemorage whilst out in the car and ended up in a blue light ambulance to hospital. they believe the second haemorage was due to infection (possibly picked up when the emergency team rushed in after labour to stop bleeding).
anyway.....i was on antibiotic drip whilst in hosital the second time and have been taking oral tablets since being home (they end tomorrow). my bleeding has been very light now and has almost stopped...today it is almost a yellow discharge.
how are you all doing in that department.....i know its a TMI question but would really like to know so i can feel normal and not worry.
hope mums and babes are all well.
love del xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Sounds nasty hon. Evie's 3 weeks old now and mine's just like a browny discharge now. Wouldn't say it was bleeding as such anymore and it's really light. Try not to worry but do mention it to MW or HV next time you see them to put your mind at rest it you're still worried.

Zoe
    xx
  • Options
    I have hardly anything already but I think that's due to my section. Only 6 days since Lucas was born.
  • Options
    I've been having a lot of trouble with my loss. I stopped bleeding after about a week, then at 11 days I started bleeding really heavily again. Panicked and went to the docs. He took swabs, but they came back clear - no infection. Had a scan and it showed that I've still got quite a lot of blood in uterus (the measurement of lining should be 2mm and mine is 16mm), so just waiting for doc to decide whether I need a D & C or if I can just let it come away naturally over time. Meanwhile, my loss keeps stopping and startiing. One day there's nothing, the next it's like having a really heavy period. Strange! Not in any pain though, so not too worried at the moment. How did you know you were haemorrhaging? (apart from the bleeding!) Love Rachel XXX
  • Options
    hey Rachel.
    the first haemorage was easier for me than the second as i was so tired and was a bit unaware of what was going on. obviously i was bleeding large amounts and was surrounded by 11 people all doing there individual jobs. all i could see was the b.p monitor....my b.p had dropped to 75/50 and heart rate was at 182. i was shaking and just felt really faint.

the second haemorage i was in the car and showed no signs of it. my blood loss was very small and all i can say is i felt a gush of blood....i just thought it was a little bit coming out...then when i looked down it was filling my pants up and coming through my trousers.....went straight to a+e and got hooked up to fluids to control b.p. But i cant say i felt any signs. which probably isnt much help really. if anything my b.p was high due to me being anxious. my iron levels didnt drop much after the second one (went from 11.5 to 10.2) so i didnt lose as much as the first time. my iron levels went from 12.4 to 7 after labour.

The doctor kept asking me if i was in pain but i didnt feel any discomfort.

my loss at the moment comes and goes. yesterday i had nothing and then in the evening i had some red-brown kind of discharge. i just cant wait until it goes altogether and i can stop worrying.

would love a scan to put my mind at rest.
    xx
  • Options
    Oh Del you have had a nightmare havent you???

The discharge you are referring to sounds like what i having. yest i felt huge surge of wetness. went to the loo and loads of what i can best describe as bloody lemon curd came out. Sorry if i put anyone off their fav spread!!!! Anyway, I will go to hosp tomorrow as Fri and Sat are weekend here. I had heavy loss when she was 11 days old and was admitted overnight. they called it a heamorrage but I just would say heavy bleeding as I had heaorrage after my 4th and it was not as bad as that. This latest was caused by the straph areus bacteria(sp) or something like that??? Blood loss comes and goes which suprises me as for first week I hardly had anything at all.
    I hope you continue to get better and I think they should scan you to put your mind at rest.
    Racel..if you reading this I hope yours heals soon too and you can get on with been a mum

d x
  • Options
    thanks d,

this morning i was out shopping and felt a wetness....unable to stop myself i started looking down my pants in between two clothes isles (luckily no-one around) to find a yellowly, browny discharged coming out. it is such a horrible feeling worrying all the time and i am really finding it hard to stop myself from thinking about it.

MW came yesterday and was happy that uterus can no longer be felt...but even that doesnt reassure me. she asked me if i wanted signing off from their or if i would like another visit next week so i opted for the extra visit. im going to have to ask them next week to see gp or consultant or someone as i cant stop thinking about it and the worry is driving me mad!! MW try to be understanding saying its so unfortunate to haemorage once never mind twice and that my feelings are normal but it doesnt settle me or make me feel better.
    i look at my beautiful baby girl and i just get scared of what could have been. she is soooo precious to me now. and even more so as this has probably put me off having any more children in the future.
    xxx
  • Options
    HI
    I can totally understand your feelings. It is so natural and you may need to watch that these feelings dont overwhelm you. If you do you should speak to your doctor or health visitor.
    You have been very unlucky and I can understand why you may not want any more children. You need to enjoy Mia and then when you feel ready talk to medical staff about why it happened and what can happen to prevent it happening again. did you have a really quick labour??

I was told that with Charlie I had such a fast delivery that my uterus did not contract quick enough and thats what caused the heamorrage. I only had that one after delivery. When I feel prg again they told me that it may or may not happen again. For that reason they were going to induce me at 38 weeks and give me an epidural which slows down labour. Also, they were going to have me in HDU and bloods at the ready.

I hope you keep recovering and please talk to medical staff as PND can catch you unawares and after the shaky start you have had you have every right to feel shell shocked.

Take care
    d x
  • Options
    Thanks d.

HV is coming on monday and she is bringing a trainee gp with her who is observing her role etc. i am going to have a chat to her about how im feeling. Also have a MW calling on wednesday so will also chat with her. my worry lies with what caused the second haemorage. i know they said it was infection but im worried it wasnt and that they should have scanned me.
    i know i am prob thinking about it way too much.
    its hard.
    mia is lovely though and sooo adorable xxx