Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Speech

hi ladies,
i was wondering how much speech your little ones have? Do they know many words and are they starting to put 2 words together?
Elise doesnt really say words, but does babble. The word 'no' is used by most children of their age, but she just shakes her hand in front of her or sometimes her head. we try to encourage her as much as possible. I'm not too worried, but was just interested in how yours are doing with their development.

M x

Replies

• Lucas doesn't say much at the mo. Can say mum, dad, bed, cat, makes a noise for all gone (uh-huh) with the sign, imba for Simba our cat (and Tigger too which I think is dead clever), ba for bye.

He understands everything tho and his first body part he knows is cheeks lol I know its weird but nevermind. He can now do the "knees and toes" part of "head shoulders." He will bring you things and responds to "no" most of the time.

I'm not worried, hes a boy lol, hes more interested in playing.
  • Hi,
    We wonder about how much our dd should be talking at this age too... she only really says dada, mama, goo go (good girl!) and all go (all gone). I'm not too worried, i think as long as they understand what the words mean and they are babbling then they're fine. My dd also does not say no but shakes her head back and forth. Believe me she knows exactly what it means but does not take any notice of the word what so ever, lol!
  • hi girls, i think that its quite normal for children of this age to not say much, my friends little boy will be 2 in december and only says mum but you can tell he is fine by the way that he acts.
    both my girls have been early talkers, freya says too many words to list but its well over 100 and she can put up to 5 together in a sentance. she asks questions like 'where daddy gone?' and can name and do the noies for most animals and likes to crawl around the floor saying woof. she knows who things belong to she will say things like 'that mummys car'. she has been saying 'i want' for months now but has just started to say things like ' i need juice', or even better 'i need chocolate', bless. she says 'please' and 'thank you' (most of the time), can count up to about 6, she knows a couple of colours, blue and yellow, and uses describing words like big and little. she was very sweet the other day, i told her i had to go to work now and she said ' no, i want mummy back'. she is very frindly and says hello to every one in the street, although she does tend to call every one a boy, i will say no darling thats a girl and she will repeat girl to me then next time we see a girl she will say 'hello boy'. not every thing she says is crystal clear, but i can understand her she is so funny she has us in stiches al the time, especialy when she tells us off, she wags her finger and shouts 'no' at us, and the other day she called me a 'bad girl'!!!image

xxxxxxxxxx
  • Hm, Alex is behind with speech a bit I think. She can say Mama, dadda, byes (bye), James, All gone, Oh dear, Bo bo (sleep), grandad.. of course she knows the word.. NO! I think she understands more than she can say. Also she's constantly babbling so I'm sure she actually says more that I just can't pick up yet..
  • Sam has about 30 words of vocab but properly undersrands everything. i got him saying thank you but now he keeps saying ta bacause of the nursery. we visited a zoo at drayton manor today and Sam decided to go up to a random bloke and was going ooohh look and showing him the monkeys lol. luckily the guy had a little lad so was quite happy joining in the conversation