Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Best/Worst bits about first few months with our babies

Seems to have flown as Amelia is now coming up 12 weeks!!!! Where on earth has that gone? Seems like no time that we were all moaning about been pregnant forever and seemed like our babies were never going to come. But, come they did!!!!

My best bit was probably when it hit me for the first time that she was a she and we were both safe.I was so worried that one of us or both of us would not come out of the delivery OK due to placenta previa and accreta. I remember been high on pethidine and looking down and saying out loud. She's a girl!!! I have a daughter!!!! We're both alive!!!! The nurses just looked at me and patted my leg! Another best bit is when she just stares at me like only I exist in her whole world. When she stares and then smile at me it just melts my heart.

The worst bits have been her crying with colic. Because of this she now has no idea how to settle herself to sleep and today for the first time I have left her to cry. I went in every few mins and patted her. Did it work you all ask??? Did it hell. After 15 mins I could not stand her little red face anymore so I picked her up and cuddled her in and she was asleep in seconds...

Overall though I appreciate how lucky I am to experience this for the 5th time. Babies amaze me and with each one I find a new joy and more love to give and recieve.

d xxx
God I sound a bit like a hallmark card !!!

[Modified by: dee dee on 17 May 2008 07:15:11 ]

Replies

• Options
    Do youknow how weird it is you have posted this today as me and my partner had a moment like this last night !!

I speant so much time moaning about being pregnant and like you say thinking when is this baby going to be here, will they be ok what was in there boy or girl ? I just didn't enjoy so when i do it again i will appreciate it so much. I miss my bump even though i have the real thing here i thought i was stupid feeling it but my partner says the same !!l lol

My best bit i just couldn't say there have been so many, the first smile made me cry each 1 melts my heart i can't believe i love her so much

The worst was after the 26 hour labour when she came out i was tired that i forgot to ask what she was until about 2 mins after, i went home 8 hours later and couldn't get the steriliser working and cried and pretty much didn't stop for a week. After 3 days my partner wanted to leave and said he wasn't ready that lasted all of an hour (we look back and laugh at this) I just thought it was so hard even though everyone told me i just didn't believe them. But day after day i wasn't so sore and could walk !! i eventually stopped crying !! lol All through this Mia was an angel at 5 weeks she slept from about 10-6 and just grew more and more beautiful.

1 night i got up to feed her and thught she had pooed so changed her nappy, she hadn't i then continued to feed her and she actually pooed (typical) my partner came round my side of the bed to turn on my side light and knocked over my drink over water so obviously wasn't happy, he then walked round the bed tripped into the door and the mirror fell on him. By this time i was in stitches and hadn't been concentrating and Mia had proceeded to pee all over my side of the bed !! my partner just had to laugh in the end. He then came out and said jokin of course i'm going to pee in her bed see how she likes it !!! lol

I said yesterday i was going to put her in her cot as she is so noisy so we tested her in the evening to see if she liked it ( i of course again cried) dont think i'm ready, Mia is just i'm not !! Standing over her cot looking at her my partner said this is such a proud moment (i knew exactly what he meant)

All in all having my first baby was not what i expected at all it's exceeded all of them i can't wait to do it again !! My partner and myslef are closer. I know everyday is different and can have its ups and downs so i'm taking each day as it comes but if we don't have the lows we wouldn't enjoy the highs so much !!

I'm really glad things have gone so well with you and both you and your lo are ok !! Roll on the good times cos i'm sure there are many more to come (hopefully anyway lol)

xxx
  • Options
    i think its all the best bits. i've wanted to be a mum for a long time and i love every minute..even the nappy changing lol. if i could say there was a wose bit id probably just say how hormonal i was after the birth and i hasted being cooped up in hospital
  • Options
    Yeah, worst bit definately the recovery after the birth and not being able to do everything for my wee man. The worst night was the night before I left hospital when he wouldn't sleep at all and the midwives had to take him away to let me sleep.

Best bits was seeing him smile at 2 weeks old in his bath!!! Getting him weighed every week and knowing "I did that!" Also....today HE GIGGLED!!! It was only a tiny giggle but I was so pleased!!!! He's a wee cutey and everyone loves his hair!!! Although they all say its a waste on a boy! tehe!

I love being a mummy!

Nicx and Lucas (8 weeks today)
  • Options
    deleted as cannot beleive I wrote all that... OH must have really pissed me off at the time... ha ha

[Modified by: dee dee on September 28, 2010 02:16 PM]

• Options
    Carly..meant to say your post made me come out in goosebumps. You and your OH are obviously embracing parenthood and enjoying every minute.
    well done!
    d x
  • Options
    hi everyone,

Been reading all your replies and never thought other peope would be as honest and just say it how it is (i thought it was just me)!!! I really feel for you lara as although this is such a magical experience for you when your partner is not feeling the same you start to resent them and sounds like he is really struggling but you and you lo are your main priority now and sounds like you are doing a great job as well as holding himm up too so without him maybe things could be better !! It's never to late and sounds stupid but life has its way of working things out !! But dont think i'm saying up and leave him at all and can't imagine how hard this must be for you at the moment but i agree with dee talk to him and both put your cards on the table then you both know ! i have found that honesty worked with my OH i just said it how it was and he seems to have fell in line (not to sound to headmistress) and we have become so much closer. Because for so long i thought about saying all this stuff but never did to keep the peace, but as you all know after a baby you are hardly in the mood to be polite it just poured out was he going to be a man and deal with it or walk away either way i would have coped and now we are so much stronger i have so much respect for him. Maybe honesty could work for you ? That is a maybe as everyone is different. But never feel to the both of you that you can't go on and be happy !! And Dee you the same maybe it's time for you to have some time for you (impossible in reality i know) but you know have your hair done or something let him do the washing up and you sit and relax ! These are just suggestions and ignore me if they are no good (probably not any good) I'm not really great at advice you can proabably tell !! lol

I am sorry to hear your news to lindsay i hope its all resolved soon and eerything sorts its self out ! I feel selfish even moaning now But.....

Today is my lowest day Mia seems to be hearing less and less and everyone has just looked at me with that face No she can't hear Carly but we won't say that you know that uncomfortable smile.

but whatever the outcome she is still my perfect little girl

Anyway guys i hope your all ok xxx
  • Options
    Carly, have you taken her to the doctor yet? It would be easy for them to test?
  • Options
    Yes it is easy to test as Lauren (my 1st) was the same and they put these funny head phones on them and do a test. She had no hearing in one ear and 50% in other. Grommets sorted her out though and now she completely fine. She was fine by time she was 2. Her speech was a little delayed but now at 17 you would never ever know... Get her to docs so they can book a hearing test at your ENT dept.
    d xxx
  • Options
    sorry meant to say too...your advice was good advice. Sometimes the obvious does not come to the person who is in middle of it all.

Yest he did not go out to watch FA cup..watched it here instead. I was supposed to be on bended knee in rapture that he stayed in. I just said I stayed in and who thanks me???? My friend here even said..lucky you Mark went out! I was fuming. Why lucky??? Why do men get to do what they want??? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I in all the time day and night and dont get any claps or special treatment.
    I am sooo coming back a man

d xxx
  • Options
    Hi again,

Docs is monday at 4 !! can't wait as she is now constipated too !! But my partner has said to stop being a drama queen as she is fine !! I am a born worrier ! Thanks for that tho glad she is all ok now

Men always get to go and do what they want but when they are left to do it on there own it was soooo hard and she did things that we deal with every day but they jsut can't handle it !! I agree i am coming back as a man !! Men and football my OH watches teams he doesn't support weird aren't they !!!

I have just bathed her hoping the warm water might move her stomach and hopefully she will take some water at least !!

Hope everythung is sorting its self for everyone these emails have cheered me up having people to talk to if it ws just my partner i would have to give up lol xx
  • Options

Just got sent this as an email and thought it very apt to the current husband/boyfriend feelings we have at moment!!!!! made me laugh anyway!!!!!And soooo true. when my OH finished reading it he said..yeah but what would I do with myself in the afternoon????? cheek!

THE NEXT SURVIVOR SERIES

Six married men will be dropped on an island with one car and 3 kids each for six weeks.

Each kid will play two sports and either take music or dance classes.

There is no fast food.

Each man must take care of his 3 kids; keep his assigned house clean, correct all homework, and complete science projects, cook, do laundry, and pay a list of 'pretend' bills with not enough money.

In addition, each man will have to budget in money for groceries each week.

Each man must remember the birthdays of all their friends and relatives, and send cards out on time--no emailing.

Each man must also take each child to a doctor's appointment, a dentist appointment and a haircut appointment.

He must make one unscheduled and inconvenient visit per child to the Urgent Care.

He must also make cookies or cupcakes for a social function.

Each man will be responsible for decorating his own assigned house, planting flowers outside and keeping it presentable at all times.

The men will only have access to television when the kids are asleep and all chores are done.

The men must shave their legs, wear makeup daily, adorn himself with jewelry, wear uncomfortable yet stylish shoes, keep fingernails polished and eyebrows groomed.

During one of the six weeks, the men will have to endure severe abdominal cramps, back aches, and have extreme, unexplained mood swings but never once complain or slow down from other duties.

They must attend weekly school meetings, church, and find time at least once to spend the afternoon at the park or a similar setting.

They will need to read a book to the kids each night and in the morning, feed them, dress them, brush their teeth and comb their hair by 7:00 am.

A test will be given at the end of the six weeks, and each father will be required to know all of the following information: each child's birthday, height, weight, shoe size, clothes size and doctor's name. Also the child's weight at birth, length, time of birth, and length of labor, each child's favorite color, middle name, favorite snack, favorite song, favorite drink, favorite toy, biggest fear and what they want to be when they grow up.

The kids vote them off the island based on performance. The last man wins only if...he still has enough energy to be intimate with his spouse at a moment's notice.

If the last man does win, he can play the game over and over and over again for the next 18-25 years eventually earning the right To be called Mother!

After you get done laughing, send this to as many females as you
    think will get a kick out of it and as many men as you think can
    handle it.

---------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*****************************************************************************************

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Get news, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com. Check it out!

Want to race through your inbox even faster? Try the full version of Windows Live Hotmail. (It's free, too.)

• Options

thought would forward you another one..My Oh sent it to me today. i said after reading it..shame men dont wipe their dicks isnt it?????

Fresh from my shower, I stand in front of the mirror,
    complaining to my husband that my breasts are too small.

Instead of characteristically telling me it's not so, he uncharacteristically
    comes up with a suggestion: "If you want your breasts to grow, then
    every day take a piece of toilet paper and rub it between your
    breasts for a few seconds."

Willing to try anything, I fetch a piece of toilet paper and I stand
    in front of the mirror, rubbing it between my breasts. "How long will this
    take?" I ask.

"They will grow larger over a period of years," he replies.

"Do you really think rubbing a piece of toilet paper between my
    breasts every day will make my breasts larger over the years?

Without missing a beat he says, "Worked for your arse, didn't it?"

He's still alive, and with a great deal of physical therapy, he may
    even walk again. Stupid, stupid man

Plan your next roadtrip with MapQuest.com: America's
  • Options
    good post Dee Dee... these two months I have been on a roller coaster ride both physically n mentally.. oh the joys of being pregnant!

worst bits were,
    - my 16 hours long delivery after induction to get my cervix dilated to 10cms and the consultant taking a final decision of an emergency c-section when I was 9 1/2 cms dilated. I hated it when they put their fingers inside me to check how much I was dilated and it was sooo painful, I started to shiver later on whenever the mid wife approached me every hour to check my cervix image(

- doctors checking inside me with their utensils (yes thats what I call it) to see whether nick was distressed and scratch my unborn baby's head for some blood image

- Nick crying in the night times in the hospital for reasons I didnt know and me holding him close to my heart and we both sleeping together, hiding away from the nurse who would scold me not to sleep with him in the bed

- Breast feeding was a nightmare innitially when we both were trying to adjust to it ... though I received a lot of help from the mw's on this but my baby's mouth was tooo small and my nipples were toooo big argggghhhh! I never thought that having big boobs/ nipples was going to give me problem

- him not gaining weight in the initial days and me having to stay in the hospital for a week for tat reason

- Even though I hate to say this... but I miss going to work and travelling places and see my career rolling to new heights....

- at present my worst torture is my sore back booo hoooo.... this pains sooo v much....

oh ranting here makes me feel so better...

good bits:

- I cried so much when I heard my baby's cry... couldnt blieve i cud do such a magic... forgot all tat i had been through...
    - his ever changing expressions, smiles, gurgles, responses
    - he has bought so much of happiness n smiles on my parents face (they were craving for a baby boy soo much not tat they would have disliked the gal child)

Am sure there is more to come in the years ahead...

• Options
    Aimee is nearly 9 weeks. The best bit for me is now she is smiling. It melts my heart. We Also have mirrored wardrobes in our room and have put her in front of them for the last couple of weeks everyday. Shes now always coos when she sees herself and her eyes light up!! Dont think she knows its her, just that she is looking at a gorgeous gir!!
    The worst was when she was 2 weeks old, she spent a full week screaming and i had no idea what for. One night it was the whole night, only had 40mins sleep. I then realised she wasnt getting enough milk from the breast and put her on formula, she has been perfect since!! xx
  • Options
    bumpn bubbly....thats a lovely reply. You obvioulsy had rough delivery but it becomes so worth it when you see your baby.
    Career.....what do you do??? I not worked for about 10 years and still miss it. I have done odd bits and bobs but now with 5 and 3 of them under 4 its just not worth it.
    Sarah...amelia loves mirrors too. We have a mat with an arch over it and I clipped on this baby mirror thing and she lays there talking to it for ages.
    d x
  • Options
    Just read through this post.....sorry for all the trouble a couple of you are having. Its def a life changing event!!

My worst bits: - i think my worst bit would be watching my OH crying his heart out while i lay on the hospital bed haemoraging after Mia was born......hearing him say "dont do this to me" but not really understanding what was going on....he could obviously see what was happening and i couldnt. having needles shoved in to me and people rushing in and out....not being able to cuddle Mia for an hour and half while they fixed me up.
    then the second haemorage 10days later, looking at Mia and OH standing watching as i was rushed away by ambulance...me just praying i would be ok for my little girl.

Best bits - everything!!!! Mia is a delight!! Just looking at her makes me smile!! I may not be brave enough to have another one but am thankful to have her!! just being a family, watching OH talk and play with her knowing i have given him the one thing in life he has always wanted. I could go on and on about the best bits.....but i probably dont need to as im sure you all feel the same when you look at your little miracles!!

xx
  • Options
    Hi everyone

Haven't been on for a couple of days but doctors was bad news !! Mia didn't pass the test and her ear drums are dull so she has been refered to the hospital which could take 4 weeks !! I'm not waiting and have a appointment with a private hospital tomorrow evening so whatever the problam is we can sort it out now !!

But hope everyone is ok xx
  • Options
    Carly....oh no!!! Hope all works out. Glad you getting it sorted. 4 week wait is a disgrace.

Del..bet it was very scarey for your OH to watch that. Glad all Ok now though.

All.....feel bit guilty as when I wrote those comments about OH I was in foul mood with him and I went off it a bit. He is great really and I feel mean slagging him off. You know what its like when your mad with them....you take all the little things and make them big,. Dont get me wrong things ar perfect and I still think we are not ideally suited but I think its prob a case of the grass been greener etc...... He is a great dad (when he doesnt drink and drive). He knows he was in my bad books and last week or so he has come in from work and took Charlie and Joseph swimming for hour or so while Amelia and I nap! He has been attentive without begging for sex every night. Cuppa in the morning etc... He has since I was on bed rest and has continued to get up at 6am with little ones and gets them ready, their lunch box and then takes them to school and nursery. At the same time he makes sure the 2 bigger ones are ready in time for the bus. It means he gets to work later than he should (no one knows as he only one here in bahrain) but still I feel I was mean about him and wanted to let you know he is good really. He came back from london 3 weeks ago with a diamond necklace ( albeit a tiny one)for me and he bought me huge bouquet the other day to say sorry .
    We do love each other but obviously I hate him on days/weeks he been a git and I was letting off steam!!!!!!!!

d xxx
  • Options
    Dee am into marketing so that does involves a lot of travelling which i liked and meeting people... hmmm I don't mind working from home later on once LO is settled.. lets see how things shape up...

right now ma life is completely upside down! and may be I am finding it a bit difficult to adjust to this big change hmmm
  • Options
    The best bits over the last few months have been holding Isabelle for the first time after delivery and knowing she had arrived safely.
    Bringing her home and having a cuddle with Isabelle and her Dad, just the 3 of us.
    The first and every time she smiles just melts my heart and makes the hard bits easier to bear.
    The worst bits have been due to colic. Isabelle can scream and cry for hours , which puts a strain on us all as a family. It seems that 6pm in the evening someone switches a switch and baby is swapped to one I find really hard to love ( sorry for saying this and I feel guilty for saying it). What makes it hard is that is when hubby is home from work and then we both get stressed. There are times when we think did we do the right thing by having a baby and then Isabelle gives us the most gorgeous smile and a cooing gurgle and all those negative thoughts disappear.Am I the only one who feels like this??
    The whole process of having a baby is a new experience and we are all learning together but sometimes I feel like I am on my own in the relationship as hubby is good at all the nice bits, but as soon as Isabelle becomes hard to manage it is back to mummy as " I don't know what to do with her" in his words. Sorry for this little moan.
    Looking forward to all the new things we are going to experience as a family and also hoping that as the 3 month period approaches the colic will ease and that stress will disappear.
    Mary xx