Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I really need help :-(

Im just not getting this weaning business. And im sorry if im doing your heads in with all my weaning posts, haha!
I just have no idea where i should be with it by now. Shes still only having 2 meals a day.
My problem is i never know what to give her.
She has a stage 1 jar and petit filour (however you spell it!!) for her tea. This is because i never cook homecook meals for myself, i never know what to give her. I always have something with salad like birdseye chicken or quiche or pizza, or just a weight watchers meal. So i can hardly liquidise this!!
So im lost what to give her.
Im going to start her on weetabix for breakfast with formula and pureed fruit.
And try and introduce a lunch.
Also, I make a bottle up with every meal. Should i be starting her on juice now, So at tea she has jar, yogurt and juice? Because at the moment she still has 2 oz with her tea. She cant use a cup yet, prob because im not offering it enough.
She should be on 3 meals a day by now and i just feeling like im failing at this whole weaning thing.
I asked the hv and she just said i shouldv waited til 6 months and done baby led weaning. Great advice eh. Any ideas welcome xx

Replies

• if I remember rightly Aimee is a petite little thing like Amelia??? Amelia will be 7 months on the 26th and she not even on as much as Aimee. She was 5 weeks early so not sure if that is why. My other kids weaned no probs but she is just not interested.

Keep trying though. I know you dont home cook for you but if you put aside an hour or so a few times a week you can easily make up meals for them. I stood yest and made apple, pear and plum. I steamed then then liquidised them. I also made beef, potato and carrot and, chicken, sweet pot and squash. It did not take long. I put them in ice cube trays and then when frozen I pop them out into a freezer bag so I can defrost a few at a time. Cheaper than buying and so much better for babes.

The petit filous are great too. I give her about half of a small one with my own mashed banana or whatever. She takes about 4 spoonfulls and thats it. Even that is a struggle.

I would stop with the milk and see if improves her appetite. You could try with a cup or even water in a bottle to begin. I stay away from juice as much as possible. Its not at all good for teeth. My kids even now drink water by choice ( well...maybe the 17 year old is a bit partial to vodka these days!!!!!!!!) I never give juice till they are 2 or more and never ever give them fizzy drinks till they are in double figures and even then reluctantly.

Dont fret too much. If she is happy and healthy then she is doing fine. Maybe though she is having too much milk which is affecting her appetite?? I think that is my prob with Amelia. I am going to start gving her food when she is looking for milk.

If you need more help or are still worried then speak to health visitor about this...

Good Luck
    d xx
  • Hi SarahnAimee i think Erin and Aimee are twins!! She is exactly the same not interested in food much at all i started weaning at 5 months and she still only has a few mouthfuls and feel like i'm forcing her to take it. It really helped reading dee dee's post and gave me some ideas thanks. I have still been offering Erin all her bottles as normal maybe i should cut one out, its just all soooo confusing xxxxxxxx
  • its taken Sam ages to go onto three meals. he just wanted milk instead so i was just patient and eventually he has started having lunch as well. i am just grasdually increasing his portion size and decreasing his milk (or trying to) . i got Sam onto LKunch by just giving him finger foods then giving him puree followed by finger foods.
  • Do you make lo's have meal with the family or atleast you munch in front of them... they will try to grab your food.. and u cud offer them theirs... it somehow works for me... dont know how far this can be help full

xxx
    Bubbly
  • Thanks for the great advice xx
    Seemed like everyones babies were great at food, good to know people are in my position!
    Well, i skipped the milk at 5pm and she had a full jar and a yogurt and munched on a rusk, didnt eat much of it! But it definately worked. Just gave water. I think i was worried she wouldnt last til 7pm but she did. So im going to skip that milk feed from now on.

Ive not sat her down eating with us at such, but i do want to.
    Her feeds currently fall at 10am 1pm and 4pm though which are just not times i eat at. Has anyone managed to get their los to differnt times yet?

As for the cooking, and this is going to sound stupid i know. But i dont eat fish, so if i wanted to puree fish and veg, what kind do i buy?
    Ad just normal chicken fillet and beef? Then just liquidise it all? (Not fish and meat together obviously!!)

Thanks again! You are all wonderful!!
  • just re read mine....I meant a couple of times a month to do meals...not a week DUH!!!!!!!!

TBH the jars these days are good too. I love the squeezy ellas kitchen or something like that. Amelia really like them. Organix are good too and heinz.

Cos I am feeding 7 of us there is always something she could have as not everyone eats the same dishes.

As for Aimee and fish etc..... make sure NO bones in so dont chose a boney fish. Go with Cod, Haddock etc... get the tail end pieces as they tend to be less boney. Ask at supermarket for advice. A good tip is to look at jar labels of baby food. If they put it in a jar then use same stuff as them. I dont use fish much and tend to buy the jars of it as I hate the smell of it cooking in the house YUCK!!!!

Lara...as for water I think offer it when she has finished her meal? Its not going to fill her and will help quench her thirst and digest the food.

All, I think there is a foody forum or something on here. Never been on it but may me some mums with tips for us all.

One more thing DONT buy an Annabel Karmel book. I hate the woman..smug cow!!!! I have stood once making cod balls in cheese sauce served with some sort of veg puree medley. Took me ages! I think it was for joseph and he just spat it out. Hours of hard labour for nothing!!!! Keep it simple or you will be put off. Kids dont like fussy food.

d xx
  • Haha cheers Dee Dee your a star!
    I might do that, buy the jars i wont make like califlower cheese and fish, and then make the chicken and veg dishes. Good idea!
    I do not know how you cook for 7 you must be superwoman! I cant even make 2!! Haha x
  • most days its frozen pizza, fish and chips (dont mind cooking frozen ones liek that) etc.... once or twice I will make a meal so long as its one they all like such as a sunday dinner type meal or spag bol (tonights delight) I will blitz some for amelia after taking some out before I season it as salt not good for the lo's. I HATE cooking though. Its a case of having to really!!!!! Would employ a cook if i could.... lush!!!!!

d xx
  • I'm the same as Dee Dee, every now and then I spend a good few hours cooking stacks of veg, fruit and casserole which I then blitz down, bung in ice cube trays then freeze. That way even when I haven't made a meal that's suitable for Evie I can just bung a selection of cubes in the microwave and she's got something homecooked for tea. If (and, having a 3yr old, I generally do) I've cooked something "proper" for tea then I just mush that up for her. She had sausage casserole last week and loved it!
    I also went down the route of reducing bottles and upping meals to get her to eat more. She's now on 4 bottles a day instead of 5 and has 3 meals.
    If it helps anyone her feeding times are:
    7oz bottle 7am
    Breakfast 8.30am
    6oz bottle 11am
    Lunch (half a jar and some fruit at nursery) 12.30pm
    6oz bottle 3pm
    Tea (4 cubes from freezer and yoghurt) 5pm
    Bedtime bottle 8oz 6.45pm
    I give her her water cup after mealtimes and she messes with it, looks very surprised if she manages to actually drink some lol!

Zoe
    xx
  • that is a good guide Zoe.. though am not sure how much milk Nick takes in... I feel his intake has reduced hmmm

• I haven't yet started weaning Ellie as she was so petite & fussy with her milk I didn't want to put her off with weaning before 6 months but I have already stated preparing & freezing stewed apple & pear & sticking them in the AK ice cube trays. The trays are ??6 in Boots for 2 & you just need to cook as Dee says once or twice a month & freeze it all.
    I know I will upset some people with this so I am sorry but I do not like the jars at all. They have been shifted from producer to factory to supermarket/shop shelve to home shelve then heated for baby or half put it fridge or whatever...I just don't like the idea of them & yes I am still on maternity leave but I go to bed late because some nights I stand washing, sterlising & filling bottles then doing washing & ironing of clothes & trying to clean & tidy up but it's all in a days work & I would just prefer to know what exactly is going into Ellie.

PS I hate microwave meals (my mum loves them) & I love cooking so perhaps this is why I am why I am over the baby's food. I hope I don't come across as pretentious or pompous & we all, at the end of the day, have our own opinions it doesn't mean to say one is right & the other wrong so I really hope I haven't offended anyone!!
  • Sorry on the water front I was in Mothercare the other day & bought a Mam transition beaker- it is like a bottle but has no teat & has handles so baby can hold themselves. Tried Ellie with it & she preferred it but before this I gave her water from her bottle but with a smaller teat (size 2 avent) as water flows quicker than their milk.
  • Dont worry hun you've not offended me, everyone is different. Your already different from me with the milk, i wash and sterilise bottles straight after use and make them as we go in the day. Thats just best for us I like to relax when Aimee goes to bed, lazy I know, but im now back at work 4 days a week a Dp works 5, we never have a day off togther anymore unless its annual leave, so I want my nights for us.
    I know what you mean about the jars though. I do have micro meals a lot i admit but I wouldnt give them Aimee!!
    Ive been and bought a blender today, along with ingrediants from tesco!! Got Chicken, sweet pot, pear, apple, broccolli, carrot,califlower so im going to be masterchef tonight and freeze them.
    I will keep her on jars too though. Even though my cooking is healthier for her, I dont want to be giving her the same thing over and over. The jars come in pork, fish, beef, etc, and ive not got time to make many different types of recipes!!
    Thanks for advice xx
  • Just a quickie.... we've been lucky with Samuel's ferocious appetite, but he isn't keen on drinking water at all. I think this is relaly common - most of the Mums I know can't get their bubbas to drink much water. As long as they're not constipated then I guess they're taking in enough fluids. Good luck Sarah! J x
  • not a lot to say really as most has already been mentioned...

I would just go at a pace you think is best adn what amiee is happy with...

I started Phoebe off on jars and then weaned her onto our foods, it was what was best for me at the time as I didnt seem to have nay time to prepare stuff but now I have got myself into a new routine and its easier now... it will come in time...

I try and make sure Phoebe has something proper at lunchtime ie bolonaise or something, then if I am behind schedule at tea time I just give her ready brek!

If she has something like toast at lunchtime then I do try and give a warm meal at tea time... veg or something like that...

Dont pay any attention to the HV she is just being annoying... mine wasnt happy when I started weaning Phoebe but now she is very supportive, well occassionally anyways...lol...

You will know when you need to introduce extra food and as for the juice, Phoebe has oly just started drinking it... she has followed in the footsteps of my other two and not taking anything apart from milk til she was six months old....

Like u already said everyone is different... Good Luck x x x x x