Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Pressing ALL the buttons on ALL our electrical appliances

Samuel has been pretty hard work in lots of ways recently. It's nothing abnormal for his age - in fact, it's probably absolutely normal - but it is really wearing at times.

He's being stubborn about eating, dressing, throwing things and going into all the places he's not supposed to go like kitchen drawers (we only have a lock on the bleach cupboard).

Anyway, he likes pressing the buttons and spinning the dials on all our appliances: dishwasher, tumble dryer, washing machine, sky box, TV etc. Oh and the oven! I've grown so tired of saying "no don't play with that" I just let him fiddle most of the time (apart from the oven), I do think he's going to start breaking everything soon and I really do need to stop him doing this, but I don't want to spend my life saying "no don't do this - don't do that!". It's just so negative. I try distraction when I can but I don't always have the energy and sometimes I just want to get on with something else like preparing a meal and I ignore him.

Does everyone else go through this? What do you do? Are you stricter than me? I probably am too leniant and I'll really regret it when all our machines go on the blink!

Jo x

Replies

• oooh yes as we speak sam has tried to turn the computer off hes nicked the spare mouse and theres a layer of chocolate on my normal mouse. our laptop doesnt have a ctrl key as he loves picking the letters off. washing machine and cooker are fair game too as mobiles. he also knows how to turn th4e key in the door and unlock it and has let himself and the dog out of the house 3 times now.
    we have given him his own remote and toy laptop but only helps a little
  • Thank-you RC and THANK GOD IT'S NOT JUST US!

I swear he's going to break every electrical appliance one by one. Oh crikey.

Note to self - must spend entire life in coffee shops and park for the forseeable future.